Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 19:50   #31

Boat: 1972 Morgan OI
Send a message via Skype™ to aireus01
I met my husband in Reno nv while working for the same trucking company, He was at the time Very unhapply married to a alcoholic for 18 yrs. He kept telling me his dream was to get a sail boat and sail off into the sunset. I told him if he ever left her to look me up before he sailed off. We couldnt hang out because we both knew that ther was an attraction to eachother and I did not believe in fooling around with a married man. Even if he was unhappy. So I ended up finding a better paying job pulling a hazmat tanker from Reno nv to San Jose ca six days a week. Well a few yrs went by and wouldnt ya know it he called, We ended up getting a team run out of Sacramento ca to Ohio to Portland OR then down to Sac and do it again, We did this for a year, saved for our wedding, Which we were married on a 75ft sail boat in the bay near Santa Cruz CA, It was really nice, We had about 20people, We go back to driving and I was driving through Des Moines IA when he was reading latitude 38 when he read this add for a 41.5 Morgan OI for 65k. We had looked at several boats,all of them just did not fit me, When he read the add he said " I bet this is the boat for you, you will like the room and I (Mike) can do all the stuff that needs to be done". I told him to call and make an offer or we will buy a house. Good thing ther was a truck stop at the next exit, He called and had the guy fax us a bunch of pictures, we did not have a computer or wifi so faxing was the way we did things until we made it back to Berkeley CA to do the sea trial and what not. We even faxed a copy of a check for 5k as a doposit. My husband had been sailing for yrs. I on the other hand had NEVER been sailing and was VERY affraid of sinking or floping over, all kinds of crap went through my mind, At first I wouldnt even let him put the main up, we mortered around a bit till I took sailing lessions, Then the cat was out of the bag, That was in 2000. He didnt know it but I had made extra payments and this last Febuary I made the last payment. We ended up buying it for 40k. Its been great boat with lots of stuff done, got so much stuf to put on its not funny, water maker water heater and so on, This weekend is Sail expo in Oaklank ca, I'm trying to find a good dingee that can hold our crew nco crap from the store when were out, Once we leave we are not comming back, We sold the trucking company to his son. I hired a driver, HUGE mistake hiring my mothers friend son, He had been driving for a company and ended up with throat cancer, he was trying to get back on his feet, so I thought well people have given me a break through out my life so do the same for him, OMG he tore up the truck to the tune of 25k, My husband had just signed up for his ssi that he had worked for sense he got out of the Marines after vietnam, He is a work alcoholic and had to fly back to Dallas TX to haul sand for the oil fileds. Damn I had this plan all layed out, money saved to have the boat hauled painted and some rigging done, Had to make two new sperders because the last ten years one of them rotted. He wasnt even home for a month and my plan went to sh*t. Then to top it off the wells havent started back up after the first of the year, I'm SOOOOOOO Glad I paid the extra and paid off the boat and had it put in my name because of the irs, My husband all ways waits till the last miniute to do anything, I do things right away, then its done and move on to the next. He still has his nv drivers license and I have my ca, I put that we are separated about 5+ yrs and have given a lot of thought to going to one of those tax people to protect me from loosing our boat, Worked to hard to loose it because of back taxes, I feel very lucky to have what I have, It was team work to get it started and were so close, All we have left to do is pay off the last credit card from fixing his truck over the last few yrs, around ten k. I think it will take us six months or less to do the stuff we need done, Anyone want to buy a 48ft drop deck trailer, its from when we use to haul broadway shows, That was the most fun driving job we ever had, Our truck was called the Zoo crew because we had two Austrlian Cattle Dogs and an attacked cat that walks on a leash, I'm so fustrated because my plan fell through, I guess things just werent ready to happen YET! More to the storey to follow, Vicki,Mike n the ZOO CREW... hope you all have fair. Good LUCK to everyone on this list
aireus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 05:39   #32

Re: How Did You Get Your Boat..

I think JRM pretty much nailed it with his second post. There is an element of luck to life. Anyone who denies that is just not paying attention. We are all lucky to have had the opportunities that we have.

And yet, some people work hard to take advantage of their opportunities and others squander them. Often, it seems, those who most wantonly squander the opportunities that life hands them, are the same ones who write off anyone else's success as "just luck."
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 07:19   #33

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

How did I get my boat?
I was at the wrong place at the right time. The boat went up for auction with a broken mizzen mast and nobody bid on it - except me - low bid got it!
Can you say, 'song and dance'? Well, I didn't even have to dance!
I rebuilt the mizzen for $200 worth of lumber & glue and a week of my time and we've been sailing happily ever after!!
I'm an Aquarius - what more can I say??
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 04:47   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

It's something that i have never really thought about. My father always said that i always fall on my feet, and for the past 62 years i seem to have done that. I have worked, but not very hard, in my life, and have bought many yachts of various sizes. I have lived on a couple, cruised on a couple, and now i have downsized but i cannot seriously say that i have suffered in any way to get what i want. I consider myself very lucky, maybe spoilt even, and only hope that my luck continues until i die. I guess an early(19) decision to not get married and have children helped me follow my selfish dreams. Now i have a lovely lady who shares my delusions of youth and adventure so i am lucky again.

Coops.
Old 14-04-2012, 05:24   #35
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
-- but I waited til later in life, being in my thirties now.

Kids say the funniest things!

PS - was 48 the first time I sailed and was 49 when I got my first boat
Old 17-04-2012, 20:21   #36

Boat: Pearson Ariel 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Kids say the funniest things!

PS - was 48 the first time I sailed and was 49 when I got my first boat
At 49 you were a baby to a large portion of the crusing world. At 39 I will be starting my adventure feel very fortunate to have this oppurtunity.

I always would hang around my grandparents, aunts, uncles and generally older crowd then myself. Friends my own age would ask what in the world was I doing hanging out with all those old farts. I would just tell them this "I listen".
Old 17-04-2012, 20:29   #37

My dad always told me, "Its funny. The harder I work, the luckier I get."
Old 17-04-2012, 20:37   #38

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Started buying boats at 19, six or it might be seven boats later married my 8th boat Rain Dog
Old 17-04-2012, 20:58   #39

Boat: too many

I hope Nick, S/V Jedi catches this thread. He is younger than me and I think he has had that Sundeer 64 for going on 10 years or more.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 21:18   #40

Boat: Past: H25, P26, C&C27; Future: The Black Pearl
Send a message via Skype™ to rlaribee

I really enjoy reading these stories. Some common motifs keep reappearing, but the different personalities and situations keep emerging.

Thanks everyone for telling great human stories. I hope these keep coming.
rlaribee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 21:32   #41

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaribee View Post
I really enjoy reading these stories. Some common motifs keep reappearing, but the different personalities and situations keep emerging.

Thanks everyone for telling great human stories. I hope these keep coming.
I'm still hoping Nick finds this thread because that story will be good, but I'll throw down now. As a kid, washed cars, mowed lawns, and babysat for money to save and build my Knight-Kit electronics, 60 watt AM, CW transmitter, receiver, scope, 20 watt peak, (4) output tube stereo. Could not afford Heath-Kits. As a young adult, worked as a lab tech in acoustics, mechanical properties, burn rate lab, and explosive classification lab. Saved all I could and bought a older Cal 40 for $16K and matched the purchase price on cruising goodies. Years later, went back to school, CMA, and was assigned to vessels through MM&P until I jumped ship and starting working on drill ships (rigs) and during all this time was living on 1/10 of my earnings and setting the rest aside for future cruising.

That is the simple way, pay cash for homes and cars, and save, save, and save some more.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 22:32   #42

Everyone think people who own boats are simply rich.

Me, while I am most happy sailing I am also happy up to my armpits in a vacuflush issue. Its awesome so many others are too.
mblowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 03:13   #43

Send a message via Yahoo to nightsniper99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
I was under the sand blast hood in the sun sweating my ass off the other day when I had my reality check. I asked myself if this is what I had in mind when I bought the boat. I said yes. Then I fussed at myself for talking to me to much...and went back to work. The voices in my head tell me I'm not insane...yet.
funny you should say that. I know the voices aren't real , but they have some really great ideas!
nightsniper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 03:27   #44
Armchair Bucketeer

Current Boat? - that would be around 6 years back.

I have a vague recollection that the money came from skipping my usual annual 6 month soujorn in SE Asia.

Boat needed a bit of TLC (still ongoing - that more about me than the boat )....but under £20k ($30k?) and at 30' made in 1970 so not the fanciest vessel on the water. But she is all mine .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 03:32   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

the price was right!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rew-59975.html
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote