Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2008, 10:32   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Prior to 1977 or so the build quality was suspect--kind of good boat, bad boat and it was just the luck of the draw. Designs were uninspired, too. Around 1978 Lazzara got his design act together and the yard seemed to really tighten up, too. The boats from 1978-on seem to be from a whole other builder. They're well-laid up, well designed and well built. The joinery on my 1982 44' mkII sloop is as tight as the Hylas' I looked at in the Miami boat show.

I'd give it high marks for liveability and comfort. Criticisms? Pushpit is a joke & lifelines are too low. General access to backing plates, chainplates, etc is very problematic with the same true for wiring and plumbing.

I've seen 50's and 44's all over the place, so they definitely are blue water capable. If this one sank tomorrow, I'd buy another one.

Here's a website that might be of use:
http://www.gulfstarownersclub.com/
Old 18-11-2008, 19:59   #17

Totals so far

It looks like working/saving is winning out so far.

Work
-Retail
-Saudi Arabia
-Airline + Inheritance
-Worked + started & sold firearms business
-Worked + Military Retirement

Part time Live Aboards
Sail non hurricane/cyclone season & then work opposite season
Do odd jobs while living aboard

Others already mentioned
-Inheritance
-Started & sold firearms business
-Military Retirement
tennis4789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 20:31   #18

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Air View Post
I worked as an Airline and Corporate Pilot for US an foreign carriers for 17 years and I am using all my savings plus inheritance. I am not planing to go back to work if at all possible. I am now 36 years old and I will be living aboard soon at the BVI.
I would like to do a schedule of working for six months and playing for six months. That way I would have the best of both worlds.

Many professions require that a person stay current in their area of expertise or they lose their professional credentials. I imagine that a pilot has to fly a minimum number of hours to maintain their rating and flight proficiency.

If I was a 36 year old pilot, I would plan a mixture of cruising and flying where I had the best of both worlds. In addition, if hard times ever came, I would have the credentials to instantly return to work.

I am in medicine, and if you don't work for a couple of years, it's very hard to get a job. Hospitals and insurance companies don't want to credential you because you have been out of the loop and are not current in their opinion. They take this attitude because they are suspicious that you have a drug problem and have been in rehab. After all, why would you not be working unless you had some type of serious problem? They can't conceive that you might have another life as a cruising sailor.

Not having to work is nice. No doubt about it. But keeping your options open and maintaining your credentials is a smart thing to do.

Six months of work generates a lot of disposable income, and when you finally do your six months of sailing, you enjoy it that much more because it is a welcome break from your work.

The six month cruising/working routine also fits nicely into global weather patterns. When hurricane season comes, you can haul your boat out and return to work. When hurricane season is over, you go sailing for six months.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 20:45   #19

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis4789 View Post
Hi Dave,

Really nice useful web site. I found the bit about the pirate attacks interesting. Any pirating issues just cruising around the US coast/rivers? I really don't want to be packing. (2 glocks, 1 long range rifle, a shot gun, and a bullet proof vest?)

What did you do in Saudi?
I was an eye surgeon in Saudi Arabia.

During most of the sixteen years that I worked in Arabia, things were very safe. We had total freedom of movement from coast to coast. I had a letter from my employer that gave me permission to drive anywhere I wanted in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. We drove from the Iraqi border to the Yemeni border and from the Persian Gulf to the Red Sea without ever having a problem. At roadside checkpoints the police motioned us through because they weren't interested in western expatriates driving Landrover Defenders. We camped in the desert between 60 to 90 nights a year, and drove tens of thousands of miles offroad in the desert. Life was very good. Check out this link to see pictures of our Arabian adventures in the Empty Quarter. http://www.positivegraphics.com/Positivegraphic55.htm

My last two years in Arabia were not so safe. Bombs started exploding around Riyadh and in other places around the Kingdom. Al Quaeda had come back to Arabia, and the Saudi government released 600 of them back into the general population - a very bad idea. About a month ago, they rounded them all up because they were causing a lot of trouble. Bombs and other homicidal events against foreigners were becoming a real problem.

Coming up the Red Sea, there was no need for weapons. The Gulf of Aden is a high risk area, and if you are going to be "packing", that's probably the area to do it.

Now that I am back in the USA earning Freedom Chips in Phoenix, I find myself in an armed encampment. I've never seen so many gun shops, and lots of people are "packing." I wish they would post signs that told me whether I was in a 38 caliber or 45 caliber zone as I was driving through town. I don't feel nearly as safe as when I was out cruising on Exit Only.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 22:11   #20

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I just filled out my forms for my bail out package...waiting for reply.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 02:48   #21

Boat: Privilege 37
I had everything lined up with a final 3 year contract to fund the boat I wanted, and enough money to fund a house seperately and to cruise for as long as I wanted.

Then I got divorced (process ongoing for last 18 months)

Now I reckon a bank robbery may be the answer
Old 19-11-2008, 06:41   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
I had everything lined up with a final 3 year contract to fund the boat I wanted, and enough money to fund a house seperately and to cruise for as long as I wanted.

Then I got divorced (process ongoing for last 18 months)

Now I reckon a bank robbery may be the answer

Hi Talbot,

Mind elaborating on what kind of contract?

I used to work w/ a guy who was not in love w/ his wife but said the financial strain to leave her would be too much - pretty sad.
Now you just have to find a wealthier woman than you right or take out a personal ad that says sailing woman wanted - personal appearance not important - send picture of boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I just filled out my forms for my bail out package...waiting for reply.
Did you fill out the 1040 BO EZ form or just 1040 BO? 33% top tax + 15% self employed + 10% sales tax + some property and some state = helluva lot of taxes.
Old 19-11-2008, 07:02   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I Coming up the Red Sea, there was no need for weapons. The Gulf of Aden is a high risk area, and if you are going to be "packing", that's probably the area to do it.

I don't own any guns and would kind of like to keep it that way but also really don't want to participate in any scenes similar to the movie Deliverance. Central IL does not seem to have that many guns out there which is nice. On Exit Only, Any weapsons? People seem a little leary to answer that question I'm not quite sure why.

As a Realtor it's pretty tough to make much money these days since everyone with a pulse already has bought and now pretty much aren't too many loans out there. Working as a part time Realtor does not seem to work - hard to build client base that way.

Couple side questions/little bit off topic for neone - Boats in central IL seem pretty cheap - seems like I could buy a boat and rehab it - get it over to California and sell it for more (boats tend to go for 20 to 40% in Cali from what I read)?

another side question that maybe should be another thread - Is sailing/live aboard the best way to go? What about RVing or buying a remote cabin w/ only airplane access? or buying an inexpensive condo in a foreign country? or....?
Old 19-11-2008, 10:33   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Six months of work generates a lot of disposable income, and when you finally do your six months of sailing, you enjoy it that much more because it is a welcome break from your work.
I used to spend a lot of time abroad and not working (albeit no boat) and after 6 months I actually found it felt good to be back "Home" working again and using my noodle (albeit never too much ). and for me saving hard for 6 months is so much easier than trying to do the same over a much longer period. The one big drawback to even the 6 months on / off (albeit it never seemed to work exactly like that) is that can still be easy to drift away from freinds and "home life" - interests change for both sides........

Best part about coming "home" regularly and working is annoying the cr#p outta co-workers "sitting on a tropical beach is not all it's cracked up to be"......"sometimes it's better"

Quote:
The six month cruising/working routine also fits nicely into global weather patterns. When hurricane season comes, you can haul your boat out and return to work. When hurricane season is over, you go sailing for six months.
I am kinda thinking that from next spring (easter?) of heading off locally(ish) for maybe 6 months just to see how I get on (maybe even try the "dollar a day" thing )......and the year after maybe somewhere far warmer??........have gotta start making some decisions.......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 10:59   #25

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
...after 6 months I actually found it felt good to be back "Home" working again...

Me too; we went sailing because I was sick of the pressure/stress of work (Construction Management), but doing it for just five months of each year, I love it like I did twenty years ago.

...saving hard for 6 months is so much easier than trying to do the same over a much longer period...

I don't know how it works on the west side of the puddle, but here in the UK I get the same annual 'tax-free' allowances, even though I'm only working half the time; also whilst I've no longer get all the health & pension benefits, company cars and other freebies that I recieved as a Company 'Employee' the hourly rate's higher to compensate, I also get paid 'hours worked' rather than all the evenings/weekends I did for free when on 'salary'; as a result, my nett earnings still run at better than 2/3 of what they were working full time.

...The one big drawback to even the 6 months on/off is that can still be easy to drift away from friends and "home life" - interests change for both sides........

Very true, but family and the 'important' friends will always be there.

...Best part about coming "home" regularly and working is annoying the cr#p outta co-workers...

Ain't that the truth!
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 11:28   #26

Boat: CT54
Some very interesting approaches on what different people do to afford cruising on here.
For us we sold our home almost 3 years ago which paid for the boat. My husband will retire next year at 51 with a 3k a month pension from the fire department. It is not a lot but after running the numbers I think we can make it work. If he was to stay to 57 which is mandatory retirement age we would get a extra 1k a month but neither of us have the stomach for the extra 6 years in the rat race so we go next year.
I do not see either of us going back to work after leaving but you never know what the future will bring.
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 12:06   #27
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
I don't know how it works on the west side of the puddle
From the UK I'm more south side of the ditch

Judging by your profile I suspect you have also found another "secret" to enjoying a lifestyle you want sooner rather than later.........a boat that is affordable to buy, maintain and use Good looking also helps - but I am shallow like that
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 12:29   #28

Boat: Herreshoff Ferro 45 'Arigato Jack'
I was/am[till March] an English teacher in Japan since 24. Saved up money. Bought flat in SA. Will sell flat if I get old and use it as retirement money. In meantime, bought boat with more cash saved from teaching job, then bought a flat with half of inheritance I got, which is in Turkey, have rest of inheritance, 20k sterling, and 30k US, to keep me going until I need to sell a flat, to further keep me going, but who knows what will happen in the meantime; I could die, hook up with somebody and double the kitty; who knows, all I know is that I'm outta the workplace at 40, and am heading for margaritaville and anchor dragging nightmares.
Old 19-11-2008, 12:59   #29

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Sorry David, I automatically assume that everyone reading's a furriner from the US side.

We actually set sail full-time, funded by savings and planning to go until the money ran out; our expectation was 2-3 years. At the end of the first season we were unexpectedly in London, where I found that the one aspect of the lifestyle I'm not cut out for is sitting around in a marina for the winter. I took on a two-week freelance contract primarily to help out a friend and help stave off the boredom; but like Topsy it grew and grew, as a result I worked Nov - March, had great fun and discovered that almost by accident, I'd more than covered all our expenditure for the year. In four subsequent years we've laid up ashore (Spain, Italy, Greece x2) flown back to the UK, rented a flat and worked for twenty weeks; we've never failed to at least 'break even' for a year, so still have the funds for that three-year break. To be honest, I see it as being feasible to carry on this way even if/when we cross to the Carribean and US, I'll just need to work for an extra couple of weeks to cover the more expensive air fares and boat storage costs.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 16:13   #30

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
I work in a job that offers sabbaticals (six months full pay or 1 year 1/2 pay). That holds me over for now. I'm eligible to 'retire' with full benefits at age 49 (age+years working = 70), at which time I hope to go sailing full-time for a while, before returning home to teach.

The only wrinkle is the wife. She's a lawyer. Convincing her to leave her profession at age 45 will be an uphill battle to be sure (I foresee some kind of comprise). Divorce is of course, out of the question because like I said... she's a lawyer.

Moral of the story? Teach.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
funding