Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2011, 16:57   #1

Boat: San Juan 21, trailer boat, racer,
House / Slip Swapping

I've been daydreaming some about moving to North Carolina and retire to a sailing lifestyle. I'm interested in sailing the US east coast and caribbean. I'm looking at places where there are condo close to marina so a vehicle is not necessary. to save cost I''ve wondered if there is way to house-slip swap similar to how home swapping works. If i'm sailing in Maine for a while i would get to use somebodys home-slip there while somebody else passing through NC can use my place. with the internet, scheduling this would be very practical. probably the biggest issue is whether a marina allows a silp to be used by people other than the lessee. I believe homeowners insurance is not a problem as long as you don't exchange cash. Condos associations could also have some issues.
kennj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 08:12   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: House / Slip Swapping

Welcome to the forum kennj123
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 19:28   #3

To say that there would be no problem with the homeowner's policy is not entirely correct. 1. Depends on how long they stay and if more than 30 days that could be a problem, 2. if you end up having a contract (which you should) then you are really leasing your property for and in consideration of the "trade lease hold interest", and that will make it a business transaction requiring a landlord/tennant policy.

If the other people sing the same song as you, you might avoid all that, but if something happens they may not sing that tune. If they lose property arising from a covered peril the property owned by others in your care, custody and controll will be limited....but then their property wasn't in yojur care, custody and control, now was it? So you could have problems.

A landlord policy is similar in premiums to your HO policy, but your belongings may then be at risk.

Best thing to do is to contact your agent and pay any difference to do it right.

Your idea is a good one, if you can find someone willing to play ball with you! Speaking of ball, I'm back to the game.....GO CARDS!!!
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 19:59   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennj123 View Post
I've been daydreaming some about moving to North Carolina and retire to a sailing lifestyle. I'm interested in sailing the US east coast and caribbean. I'm looking at places where there are condo close to marina so a vehicle is not necessary. to save cost I''ve wondered if there is way to house-slip swap similar to how home swapping works. If i'm sailing in Maine for a while i would get to use somebodys home-slip there while somebody else passing through NC can use my place. with the internet, scheduling this would be very practical. probably the biggest issue is whether a marina allows a silp to be used by people other than the lessee. I believe homeowners insurance is not a problem as long as you don't exchange cash. Condos associations could also have some issues.

I've had four rental agreements for slips and all expressly forbid another boat using my slip.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 20:27   #5

Agreed, I was leaving that aspect for the community as I have no experience with marinas and liveaboards. But I do understand that the owners basically underwrite the leasee and the boat that will be there as to various risks involved. For example, I have read that some marinas will not accept a wooden boat or boats older than X years old, I can see this as some may be more prone to leaks or other problems that could hender operations but it's probably used more for the snob appeal.

If you did find someone, you'd have to run it by the marina for sure...

PS. I don't mind allowing Texas to win a game or two!
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote