Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 05:42   #16

Boat: Lagoon 620
Send a message via Skype™ to Mustang Sally
A Canadian can take any USCG course, however the USCG will not issue a certificate even for a 6 pac if you don't have a SSN (social security number).

The BVI has their own captains license called the Caribbean Boatmaster which anyone can take once your down there.
Mustang Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:13   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
A SSN is only available to US Citizens - There is the exact same "number" available to foreigners - it is called an "ITIN" or Individual Taxpayers Identification Number. It is issued by the IRS and the W-7 Form is available on line. Along with the form you must submit notarized identification that you exist which can be a passport and some other things. Check the instructions very carefully. And it takes a long time to get one, it is over 7 months since I filed one for my foreign wife and we still have not received the number.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:31   #18

Surely some American SSN, and an American boating license, etc, isn't the only way to go about this for a Dutch/Canadian? I would have thought the Netherlands Antilles (for example) would have their own certifications...I have no intention of trying to operate out of the United States, after all.
Green23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:27   #19

See: The Triton - News for the megayacht and superyacht industry - USCG v MCA: no contest
for information comparing the USCG and European MCA certifications. The "Alien" part I mentioned should have been "Resident Alien" or somebody from outside the USA who holds a "green card". Sorry. I know people from the Dominican Republic and elsewhere who got the 6-pack license, but obviously they also had green card.
Old 10-09-2009, 14:27   #20

Boat: Pearson 26
I once had the idea to offer a boat for bareboat charter here where I live (Nantucket island) - I'd still like to do it, but I see it as more of a way to defray the cost of ownership rather than a source of income. Anyway...the biggest problem I had was insurance. I still have no idea how to get insurance for a charter business.

I asked every single insurer at the area boat shows one year, and they all just laughed and said, "Yeah, right...good luck with that!" I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere, or if it's just because the insurance racket is so regulated and messed-up here in Massachusetts. Still...there are people who've done it (here in this state), but I have no idea how.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 15:27   #21

Boat: prout event 34
Just as a heads up, we just left St. Maarten because of the uncontrolled development there. Talk about a rat race! Try to avoid it. I won't even get into a discussion of the government and the police farce.
bobelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 19:50   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelon View Post
Just as a heads up, we just left St. Maarten because of the uncontrolled development there. Talk about a rat race! Try to avoid it. I won't even get into a discussion of the government and the police farce.
Just what is the "development?" Are you talking about housing? "We just left because . . ." sounds like you "skipped town" so to speak. ????
Old 13-09-2009, 15:28   #23

Total breakdown of the infrastructure. We did anything but "skip town". We had choices which alot of people do not. There are any number of places left in the world that don't have poor service, high prices and gridlock in the streets. Add that to the fact that the government, which is soon to be on it's own free of the Dutch, does not want foreigners living there. If you want a picture of what the climate is like there just contact ANY foreign owned business at random and ask them how things are there.
Old 13-09-2009, 19:24   #24

Gee, that sounds just like a description of a lot of the Caribbean and North, Central and South American Countries. Maybe we are seeing "governmental swine flu".
Old 20-09-2009, 11:08   #25

Actually there are choices. We have a small casa in La Paz, Baja California del Sur, Mexico. Wonderful people, great service, VERY inexpensive and back in the 50's crime wise. We rode our bikes to an art opening about 2 mi. from home and returned after midnight feeling safe and warm all the way home.
Old 22-09-2009, 17:57   #26
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
The US 6 pack license doesn't qualify you to work in any country - you have to qualify under the country's specific laws and most are pretty darn stringent about not letting you take a job from a local. As a Canadian, if you're interested in Yachtmaster training, contact Clive at Queen's Quay Yachting in Toronto - he's a Yachtmaster instructor.
canucksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 18:11   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor View Post
The US 6 pack license doesn't qualify you to work in any country - you have to qualify under the country's specific laws and most are pretty darn stringent about not letting you take a job from a local. As a Canadian, if you're interested in Yachtmaster training, contact Clive at Queen's Quay Yachting in Toronto - he's a Yachtmaster instructor.
So, what you're saying is, if I somehow managed to move down there with a job offer, that they wouldnt recognize a Canadian Yachtsman license...that I'd need one issue through, for example, Curacao, or Aruba?

Any idea what one this Canadian certification costs? To be honest, I'm asking all these question waaaaaaay early; this is something I'm looking at doing in the years ahead.
Old 22-09-2009, 18:42   #28

- - I think that maybe you are missing something . . You cannot work at any kind of job in any country other than your home country without a "work permit." This a separate document - from the country. That is the primary impediment to working in a foreign country. That foreign country does not want you taking a job from a local citizen unless there are no local citizens qualified to do the work.
- - After obtaining that permit then they may require or the company you will work for may require for insurance purposes that you demonstrate that you are a trained/certified Captain from somewhere. It is best to not think of the USCG 6-pak or Canadian or UK or anywhere else - license to be anything more than a "drivers license." It does not qualify you to work for compensation in any country - for that you need a work permit.
Old 22-09-2009, 18:50   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - I think that maybe you are missing something . . You cannot work at any kind of job in any country other than your home country without a "work permit." This a separate document - from the country. That is the primary impediment to working in a foreign country. That foreign country does not want you taking a job from a local citizen unless there are no local citizens qualified to do the work.
- - After obtaining that permit then they may require or the company you will work for may require for insurance purposes that you demonstrate that you are a trained/certified Captain from somewhere. It is best to not think of the USCG 6-pak or Canadian or UK or anywhere else - license to be anything more than a "drivers license." It does not qualify you to work for compensation in any country - for that you need a work permit.
No, I understand that just fine, thanks though. That's why i said, (in the case of the islands I'm looking at),'if I get a job offer' which often means the employer is obligated to obtain your work permit for you, etc. etc.....

But I'm not wondering about that. I'm wondering about when I'm there, with my work permit, whether or not a "yachtsman" certification I got back home will satisfy local governments down there should I hope to do some chartering on the side (or whether I'd need some equivalent, though I kind of doubted that Curacao would have it's own Yachtsman designation -though, admittedly, I know very little of the Caribbean as of yet.)

Would I need to then obtain work permit for chartering and that's where I would run into a problem?
Old 22-09-2009, 20:49   #30

- - You have it all covered except for two possible problem areas, There are companies/business that will try to employ you without a local work permit which is an expensive and time consuming process. Just make sure your job contract includes compensation during the time you are applying for the work permit and also compensation for your time and return to home if the work permit is denied. Research the country by communicating with the "immigration" officials about what actually constitutes "working in their country." Some countries do not consider working on an offshore boat/vessel as working "in the country." Your prospective employer will clearly be able to answer what kind of "documentation of competence" / Captain's papers is necessary for his operation. Since the employer will be legally liable under the laws of his base of operation, he will know what is needed.
- - Just be wary and double check with independent sources as to the local country requirements. There are some "charter operations" that are operating illegally in order to save costs, but if you are "caught" you will also pay the penalty along with the employer. The penalty in your case would be "deportation for criminal activity" which will most likely slam the door to any future travel plans you have for traveling outside your own country for the rest of your life. Communicate directly with the country's Immigration officials to get the real answers.