Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 12:36   #46

Boat: Newport 30
Re: Getting a boat from Europe to the left coast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Westwon:

Quote: "...that Fast Passage is a stunner"

You sound like you know the one I'm talking about :-)??

TP

I wish I did TrentePieds, but I have only seen her in pictures. I was hoping to get a real look at one for sale because the pictures on-line for it were taken on the Fraser river outside Ladner, but then I saw that she is (now)located on the Island.

Steve
westwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:55   #47

Yes, I think that's her! Built at Philbrook's, of course. I haven't been in her, as I said, but certainly going below in my (now departed) friend's was like going into a display of the finest Modern Danish Furniture. Not surprising, since the joiner-work was done by the greatly respected Bent Jespersen. He is now retired.

There might be stiff competition for this particular boat, come spring :-)!

Bent is three years my senior and he and I hail from the same city in Denmark. He, like I, arrived in B.C. when Vancouver was still a village in the rainforest and the ambiance was that of a colony in the far distant reaches of the Empah :-)! Here is a link to a write up:

Bent Jespersen, Jespersen Boats, Sidney BC, Heritage of Custom Boat Builders

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 14:08   #48

Boat: 36' Racer-Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingWarrior View Post
Thanks for your post TrentePieds,

My philosophy on things of this nature is to thoroughly consider my usage case, build a wish list, and buy the best I can afford, with as few compromises as possible, then use it until it's not serviceable any longer. Basically, understand what I want, and then buy my last one, first. I'm not much of a believer in the 'starter kit' approach.

My wishlist is as follows: 35-45' monohull cruiser, sloop or cutter rigged, built with offshore capability in mind as a design parameter, by a company with a track record and appreciable history of well-regarded products. I would prefer either a centre cockpit, or possibly pilothouse design (only if a full helm is included inside). It should have a well thought-out interior (this is obviously subjective), with good liveaboard accommodation for a single or couple, with the ability to host up to 3 guests or crew (or I suppose a couple and 2 cubs) occasionally. A nav station/working desk with proper seating (not perched at the end of a seteé) is key, as I spend more time at a desk than on a sofa, if said desk is available. It needs very good tankage, ample refrigeration and storage, and room for systems upgrades including RO system, additional house batteries, interior heating, auxiliary power generation, etc. The rig should be possible to manage single-handed, and simple for 2 or more.

On top of all these things which define a "competent cruising boat", there's that intangible notion of beauty that goes with all purchases like this - house (I've built and delivered almost 200 new homes to clients), car, motorcycle, boat...

Boats which check all these boxes for me, without prejudice against any particular marques, tend to be Hallberg-Rassy, Najad, Nauticat, etc., and generally boats of less than 30 years old. From there the answer to your question is simply one of availability. There are simply scant choices (though there are some) in Canada and the US for these boats, and they are priced considerably lower on that side of the Atlantic.

Have you looked at Gozzard yachts? Built in Canada.
BlueSlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 16:32   #49

Boat: Newport 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Yes, I think that's her! Built at Philbrook's, of course. I haven't been in her, as I said, but certainly going below in my (now departed) friend's was like going into a display of the finest Modern Danish Furniture. Not surprising, since the joiner-work was done by the greatly respected Bent Jespersen. He is now retired.

There might be stiff competition for this particular boat, come spring :-)!

Bent is three years my senior and he and I hail from the same city in Denmark. He, like I, arrived in B.C. when Vancouver was still a village in the rainforest and the ambiance was that of a colony in the far distant reaches of the Empah :-)! Here is a link to a write up:

Bent Jespersen, Jespersen Boats, Sidney BC, Heritage of Custom Boat Builders

TP
Thanks for the link TP. I don't know why, but I always thought his name was BRent! Now I know
Steve
westwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 17:27   #50

Boat: 50' Ligure power cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Damn.. $20K.. You need to shop around more..
Any evidence there's a better price for a similar sized boat? That's the sort of price I've had two quotes on (admitadly going to Europe from Caribbean area rather than the other way). The third quote was for nearly 30,000eur
bluenomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 18:07   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Getting a boat from Europe to the left coast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenomads View Post
Any evidence there's a better price for a similar sized boat? That's the sort of price I've had two quotes on (admitadly going to Europe from Caribbean area rather than the other way). The third quote was for nearly 30,000eur

I believe he said that was for on its own hull.. shipping was more.
Opps.. Just went back to check his post.. seems I misread it..
The other price was trucking cross country and the 20k for shipping.. Apologies

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 18:51   #52

Boat: 50' Ligure power cat

Thanks Boatman61. I'm still hoping for a cheaper shipping price! Back to the OP...
bluenomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:41   #53

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

I can't imagine this would prove financially sensible, unless you're buying a VERY expensive boat and getting it for half price. The other way it might make sense, is if you plan to sail Europe, the Med and then do the crossing/Carib yourself (ostensibly beginning your full-time cruising). If you're really not going cruising, I'd recommend just finding a boat on the west coast. Remember shipping is not cheap, weather via ship or truck. Plus it's complicated (one yard decommission; trucker ONLY drives truck; another yard recommissions... you must coordinate all aspects, etc.) I recently trucked from the PWN to SoCal... very costly, complicated and stressful (but calendar dictated).
pma_foyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:05   #54

Boat: Beneteau 343 (34', 10.8m)

I'm here in Barcelona about to survey a 2018 Dufour 412. She's a used boat and spent a short time in charter. I have also done the analysis of what a similarly optioned new 2019 Dufour 412 costs. With the strength of the dollar, it looks like I'm saving about $100K over a brand new boat (using list price).

Our plans are to stay in the Med for several years, so not the same as the OP, but I can see the benefit of buying in the Med and getting the boat back over to US.

There are many things to consider when buying an EU boat:
- Most of the boats are 220v, so not easily adapted to 110v for US, this might affect your resale if you don't address it. Just something to think about.
- Most boats I see are charter boats and the VAT hasn't been paid, which is fine if you're headed out of country. This can mean anything from 17% to 25% additional cost if you decide to stay in EU and pay VAT (and not play the "18 month reset VAT" game)
- If you're a non-EU citizen, you'll have the Schengen 90 days out of 180 problem. This means you (not your boat) can only be in Schengen for a total of 90 days in 180. You might wind up leaving your boat for 3 months to get clear on this issue.

Personally, we'll pursue a long-term tourist visa and work it that way and live in the South of France. We'll see how this crazy dream actually executes...
Kenpimentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:08   #55

Boat: Horstman Tri-Star45 trimaran

Went to France in Sep 2017 to help a friend take delivery of a new Lagoon 42 cat. He was quoted 20K for delivery to Florida or Carib, apparently the norm, and there were several boats being prepped by French skippers going to Carib charter. Good reason to fly a few friends over.

Horribly expensive/difficult to ship a cat overland, but mono's are regularly quoted 10-20K depending on size and destination. You can float-ship here from Panama to Vancouver, again near $20K; working your way slowly up to Mexico then shipping to Vancouver (12-15K) would be an alternative. No one enjoys the Baja Bash, Pt Concepcion or Cape Mendocino.

Either way shipping adds a lot to the price of a used boat, so it's generally only for new or unique boats.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:57   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Eleuthera 60

Price, price, price??? You'll likely spend US$50-70k for this shipment with COMPETENT crew. Plus, you'll be possibly chasing foreign vessel registration deletion, priority USCG documentation, more days than you can imagine for prep, repair, and more repair in transit. The vessel will arrive ready for a small refit of rigging and mechanical systems. I am living this at the moment with a Lagoon catamaran. Good luck! Definitely have it shipped on a ship-shipping-ship; or better yet move it yourself from one economical dock to another and take your time. Pardeys: "Go Small, Go Simple, Go Now!" The L450 is small for our family of 8, hehehe.

RANT ADVISORY! ;-)

Is it just me or does anyone else find it beyond frustrating that people will, graciously, share their experience or advice...but then not state the cost? Are we all that afraid to be either ridiculed by the few jerks out there that rag on people versus add to the discussion? Maybe we're embarrassed to say how much we think we got ripped off for? Or maybe still we don't want others to think we're 'rich' or 'poor'?

This and all other sites would be so much more productive if people would tag all their 'advice' with a qualifying/equivalent price.

Here's my small contribution to show how much I've been ripped off: (45' sailing cat)

-(8) gallons bottom paint plus primer $3k delivered
-Bottom sand/paint labor $2k
-Engines flush, belts, filters, fluids: $1k
-rudder bearings $650 delivered, plus $600 labor
-Prop antifoul $350, plus $250 labor
-Factory salon door lock replacement (not purchased yet) $900, ouch
-transient slip in Aruba after launch $125/day (14 days anticipated, ouch)
-Delivery/prep St. Martin to Aruba during hurricane season: $10k (customs, dockage prior, crew flights, hotels, cars, diesel, last-minute-mechanics, provisions, weather delays, etc)
-Delivery Aruba to Puerto Rico, 2 pro crew, ASA certs en route: $4k
-survey/sea trial/haul out: $2.5k
-LLC establishment: $600
-Document service: $650
-Import Duties paid in Puerto Rico for the US: $6.5k

...please don't anyone add all that up ;-)

I'll start a new thread when I get the number more organized for the inquisitive out there.
sv Stella Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:22   #57

I purchased a 40 ft sailboat in England and shipped it to Tacoma WA. Pretty simple process. There are ships leaving regularly. Minimal wear & tear.
SFlagoonowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:31   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFlagoonowner View Post
I purchased a 40 ft sailboat in England and shipped it to Tacoma WA. Pretty simple process. There are ships leaving regularly. Minimal wear & tear.
if you wanted a great 40 ftter here in Tacoma why didn't you buy the one I finally sold?
Old 10-12-2018, 11:36   #59

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingWarrior View Post
If you bought a boat in Europe, and wanted to get it to the PNW, how would you go about it, and why?

To normalize the discussion, let's assume that whatever the boat, the purchase price and relevant costs are within your budget, and the boat capable of making the trip. Assume a cruising monohull sailboat of 35-45'.

That said, it's a long way, and there's a pesky continent in the middle.

Would you sail it yourself? Hire a delivery crew (or possibly several, owing to the distance)? Have the boat shipped as cargo?

Why would you make your choice vs. the other available methods?

If your choice was to self sail the journey, which route would you choose and why?
My friend bought a 40' boat in England, when the exchange rate made it advantageous. Hired a skipper to sail it to France, where it was placed on a ship and shipped to eastern Canada, then placed on a truck and trucked to Vancouver, then rigged and sailed to Seattle. It was the lest expensive way to get the bot from England to Seattle.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:46   #60

Have you thought about up to Greenland a jump to labrador/ Newfoundland...
And up the st Lawrence to thunderbay!?... there are several boathaulers that end up with empties going back and if you can let it sit for a bit ( ie not in a hurry..) you can get a great cost reduction.. I've done it in both directions and can assure you that the north shore route of the lower st Lawrence and lake superior are 2nd to none for beauty and sailing. Planning is key!
Pendrith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Europe, rope