Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2006, 18:13   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Hi Bob,

As I said, I freely admit there are bad editors out there - but there are also a very large number of excellent ones.

I respect what you're trying to do, and the fact you've been successful is proof that your model will work, at least within certain parameters.

I would compare what you do on the Internet and in print more to a sailors' blog. A lot of really hardcore boaties (myself included) will be interested to read in order to mine the golden nuggets, but for a more general audience that the glossy yachting mags are after (and that necessarily includes a lot of newbies and wannabes), the writing is on a different - more highly polished - level.

My post was to look at this "other," much larger side of publishing, which is (unfortunately?) the one with which I am most familiar.

Again, I think what you're doing is wonderful.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 15:59   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Good topic, and well discussed, aboard and ashore. In my case I'm adding local/regional newspapers, interest-oriented publications, and even map and guide publishers to my list. I'm starting small by writing equipment and publication reviews for several nautical suppliers in the area. This I can't do aboard due to timeliness of the material. All I'm looking for is a byline showing I've been published - somewhere.

I think like any good cruise, you have to do your homework. Preparing for a cruise requires collecting, sifting, collating, and filling the round file with scrap to get to the important (to you) items. This goes for modifications, repairs, food, etc. By that time, the basic article is well on its way. The article needs a bit of history, personal involvement (usually with a local), current information, and if necessary a sketch chart. Pictures need to be composed well, have excellent exposure, and add to the story.

The biggest problems are areas and timing. An article on the Exuma Cruising regatta probably won't get as much interest as an article on celebrating Christmas on Christmas Island. Since magazines are put to bed months before they arrive on the doorstep, you have to think ahead. Submitting the Christmas story in early April may not seem such a bad thing. It gives them a good lead time if there's interest, allows you to submit elsewhere if they're no, or best of all, tweak it to their (not always your) satisfaction.

It's also important to look over several year's magazines and know what's been published. Chances are they're not going to do two articles on the same area two years in a row (although the summer splash issues do get a bit old). Get an idea of the writing style they require; the picture requirements (size, dpi, approximate number per article or type of article); and if you think you have an idea drop them a single-page email with a teaser. I know of one cruiser that emailed a magazine querying about a not-for-navigation passage chart from T&T to Panama that was accepted and generated huge interest.

One idea is to look back in your cruising and find a difficult to research but wonderful to stay location. Chances are if you and your fellow boaters are having problems, so are lots of readers and potential readers.

There are a large number of magazines, periodicals, and newspapers that have local interest or travel sections that read in a style you can write to. The object is to keep writing, keep submitting, and keep the rejection notices - they day you get published will be a time to remember.

Doug
capt_douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:47   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Potential columnists and authors might be interested in this invitation from
Sailing in Mexico, Baja, Sea of Cortez, Vallarta, Acapulco, Cancun, Cozumel - Latitude Mexico

Become a Columnist!

”We are always in the pursuit of broadening the information we make available to sailors that travel through Mexican waters. We also want to give you the chance to be heard, uhm, well, in this case read, but anyway… we are inviting you to make this YOUR site by becoming a LatitudeMexico columnist...
... So don't waste time, simply send us your articles and photos via email to ”
crew@latitudemexico.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:50   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gord?
"So what are you waiting for? Write to us at \n crew@latitudemexico.com This email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it and become a reknowned author."
Let's see now...aspiring writers donate their article to a commercial web site, where the owners hope ot make a profit, and the authors get zero. Hmmm....Must be a translation error, I can't see how that will make anyone "reknowned", either.

I know working for free and paying dues and all the rest is part and parcel of life, but when a commercial entity is publishing someone's work...I think they should pay for it. One reason authors and 'creatives' have such a hard time making a living, is because so many people think they should work for free "to get started".
Better to use the Writer's Guide and find sources that pay. The "nautical" market is small enough already.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 12:36   #20

All good writers,

If you are based in South Florida -- or have spent enough time in the cruising life of this region to know it well, send me an email. I am the new executive editor of a small magazine focused on the boating lifestyle of South Florida, and expect to start using additional writers in the Fall.
caps-table is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 13:03   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Hmmm....Must be a translation error, I can't see how that will make anyone "reknowned", either.
... aspiring writers donate their article to a commercial web site, where the owners hope ot make a profit, and the authors get zero.... but when a commercial entity is publishing someone's work...I think they should pay for it. One reason authors and 'creatives' have such a hard time making a living, is because so many people think they should work for free "to get started".
Better to use the Writer's Guide and find sources that pay ...
I agree /w hellosailor, that it makes little sense to work for free, and didn't intend my posting of raw information to imply my endorsement.

I presume English is hello's first language, and recall something about glass houses & throwing rocks.

Caps-Table:
Are you offering to pay for suitable articles?
Have you seen Ron's "Gulf Stream in a Hurricane" article at:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...aine-8501.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 15:13   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I presume English is hello's first language," Gord, you're positively telepathic!<G> Close but no cigar. My first language is American English. But I'm able to pass in English English, too.

"something about glass houses & throwing rocks." See now, that's the business about nations divided by a common language. Here we say "throwing stones". Never rocks, always stones. Different up north?

In England, they refer to speaking "The Queen's English" because the monarch is currently alleged to be a Queen. In the US, we refer to proper English as being "The King's English" because the last monarch we had, was some fellow named George. I had a good laugh as I walked past an "English as a second language" school targeting illegal aliens, ergh, immigrants, because they place is named "The Queens English". Sure ain't gonna pass those poor students off as natives.<G>

But I tend to agree with the first editions of the "What Color is Your Parachute?" book. If someone says "We're hiring..." and doesn't say what they are willing to pay--they're looking to cheap you. Every legitimate publication has standard rates, either by the word or the piece. Sure, they'll negotiate a bit higher for Wm. Buckley Jr., but AT LEAST they can be up front about rates. Whether they'll pay on time, that's something else again.

So, caps-table? Where's your rate card?!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2007, 11:06   #23

yes

Yes, we will pay. I doubt anyone will be any happier with our rates than with other publications generally discussed here. Then again, we are smaller than any of the boating publications discussed, but will try to be somewhat competitive with what others pay.
caps-table is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 05:37   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Profile of Frank Pong

My profile feature of Frank Pong, China's most famous sailor, appears in this month's Sailing World, p. 70