Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2020, 08:33   #1

First sailboat - looking for insurance coverage - what is reasonable?

Hi all,

We made an offer on a 10-Year-old 38f sailboat. This will be our first big boat. Currently, we do have a Caledonia Yawl 20f.
So this will be our first real boat insurance. I worked with an insurance agent to find companies that would provide coverage for this specific boat and a crew that does not have a whole lot of sailing experience.
Attached is one of the quotes we were provided.
As I said we don't have experience with that so I would like to get some input on the provided coverage, does that sound reasonable? Sure, one can always go higher and paying a higher premium.

Thanks
Christoph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-02-01 11.14.15.png
Views:	217
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	207979  
miraculix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 15:46   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: First sailboat - looking for insurance coverage - what is reasonable?

The coverage looks OK, but you don’t say what the quote was for. If you’re paying $50, it’s a great deal. If you’re paying $5,000.00, maybe it isn’t so hot. It also depends a bit on what the boat is worth. Did you pay $280,000 for a ten year-old 38’ sailboat? Sounds high - like they’re anticipating fraud or never expecting to have to pay out the limit -- perhaps only a percentage of it (like 50%?) Do deductibles for a trailer and boathouse make sense in your situation?

I just paid our yearly insurance bill: $1500. It covers the agreed value of the boat: $30k (it’s almost 40 years old, so we pay an extra $357 to waive depreciation), $10k in personal effects, $2k for towing, $500k for liability, $939k for pollution, $25k for medical, and $500k for uninsured boaters. More than 50 years of experience including about 30 with this boat also go into the equation. Hope this is helpful.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:03   #3

Thank you for your comprehensive replay, which was very helpful.

I kept the quote out of the question because I wanted to hear from others how they see the offered coverage, regardless of the premium.

The premium is 1269$, which somehow reflects our not so extensive experience as a crew. The boat will be kept in the Chesapeake Bay and is supposed to be on the hard between November 15 and April 15.
To the boat price, the boat is a Southerly 38, the average selling price over the last two years of the same boat type and age was about 270K, so I hope we are not too far off.

I saw 2000 for towing, I think having coverage for towing is never a bad idea, how about membership with BoatUS or something like that?

Thanks
Christoph
miraculix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:20   #4

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Insurance really depends on where you are and where you plan on sailing. Why not ask others in your marina/club what they are paying. That way you have a benchmark. I sail fresh waters 6 months of the year. I pay less than $500 per year for $2million coverage and a $500 deductable. Ask around and then go shopping around.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, insurance, sail, sailboat