Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2017, 02:21   #61

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116
Re: Finding an Honest Surveyor

Folks,
You hire a surveyors, he inspects, writes the report, somethings you can get the owner to correct.
If you buy the boat, you sail away leaving the surveyor and the owner/broker behind.
Depending upon the outcome, the surveyor may have a long and happy relationship with the broker. If he kills the sale, the broker may not wish to deal with this surveyor in the future.
Both boat I have owned were surveyed. Both boats had additional and expensive problems that should have been discovered and weren't. Both boats were seaworthy when I bought them. The problems I discovered, after the sale, I took care of.
Then comes the expensive "additions" I made, to make the boat easier to handle and for my convenience.
Can I fault the surveyors? Each time I got the feeling the surveyor was working 75% for me and 25% for the broker.
If the hull is sound, the engine reliable and all systems work, I guess that's the best we can hope for.
My advice, work with your surveyor..... get greasy.... Talk with your surveyor alone and realize he doesn't have 2 weeks to survey the boat. Finally, remember once you sail away, the surveyor needs to find more work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbarnard View Post
Has anyone ever asked a surveyor if you can tag along to another survey job to see the care they take in inspecting someone else's boat? I've never heard of this being done but it seems like an easy way to see the surveyor in action before you pay them.
Olddan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey, surveyor