Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2009, 03:21   #61

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Starchaser-- Yes, I recall the book. For people that want to sail off into the sunset, Annie Hill's way of living also is adaptable to the land. Live as cheaply as you can--a little electricity, if any, and a lot of pluses(beans). Meat costs too much.

denniswbaber-- this is an international forum--meanings of words differ based on the country you are from. I will ask what a word or phrase means and as a courtesy I expect an answer.

My understanding is Budgie is a parakeet.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 04:18   #62
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
My understanding is Budgie is a parakeet.

Except Budgies have 4 legs
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 04:26   #63

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Down here men's tight swimmers are often referred to as "budgie smugglers". Budgies in this case definitely don't = parakeets! Regards, Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 04:33   #64

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
thanks boden36-- I heard the phrase "wet blouse" from down under also--

david old jersey -- no picture of the 4 legged ?

I know my dictionary does not have all the definitions of words. I really appreciatiate the variety of the definitions I have learned on this forum.
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 04:54   #65

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
A budgie is a type of parrakeet and I believe are indiginous (sp?) to Australia... They roam in huge flocks and are almost considered a pest. But they are cute...
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 15:09   #66
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
Budgerigar is allegedly Aboriginie for "Good to eat"
Old 29-06-2009, 16:21   #67

Boat: Gullfstar 50
The Dash

I know this is not in following with this thread, but it does relate somewhat. When considering what one is to do in their life, and how it will be remembered, this poem by Linda Ellis is profound.

The Dash Poem by Linda Ellis

Just do it.
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 20:46   #68

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
I disagree with the 10% and the passive income 2 times your cruising costs.
My wife and I have cruised for over 10 years. We have met a lot of people who’s boat was significantly more than 10%. Some were 100%. They would find odd jobs here and there. They were all interesting people as they were resourceful and resilient.
Half the adventure of cruising is finding a way to cope with an unforeseen circumstance. Instead of shipping in a part and paying more for the courier fees than a part is worth finding something that works locally at a fraction of the cost. The other option is do you really need it, can you do without it.
Working here and there is a good way of meeting and really getting to know the people and their country. After all is that not why we went cruising, to see what was there in a slow relaxed manner not a hectic week spent at some environmentally controlled resort staffed by hand picked people.
That is why I went cruising. If I had waited for the 10% and 2X criteria I would still be working right now. I would only be dreaming of hopefully going to the places I have been. I could only imagine spending 3 months in one remote village with the Kuna Indians in the San Blass. Learning their customs and becoming involved with their ceremonies.
Yes I would feel safer waiting for the 10% and 2x but now that I have gone I am richer for I now know the meaning of FailSafe.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 10:39   #69

Boat: Catalina 25
The thing about Kiyosaki, like Tony Robbins, et al, if they are so smart and successul in business, then why are they hawking books & seminars? These guys are shilling for your dollars....Caveat Emptor
JackHinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 13:59   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHinks View Post
The thing about Kiyosaki, like Tony Robbins, et al, if they are so smart and successul in business, then why are they hawking books & seminars? These guys are shilling for your dollars....Caveat Emptor
The only people who make money out of “How to make a fortune ... (gambling, real estate, stock market, forex, etc)" scams are the authors of the books, and producers of the seminars, that the suckers pay for.
Wanna make a fortune sailing? Write and sell the “How To make a fortune sailing” book.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 15:18   #71

Boat: Catalina 25
As Samule Eliot Morison wrote: Dream Dreams, and write them, but live them first!
JackHinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 08:46   #72
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i have 2 boats---they are 200 percent of my net worth, which is a fluctuating amount--i have no .401k, i have regular income, and what is in my account is my net worth lol....i do not plan ahead, i donot have private healthcare, but pay 100/mo for medicare b--go figger--is more than is paid for by individuals for private healthcare---i own 2 holes in water--with no respite in sight, as market sux big time with no end in sight---lol.....and i cruise on less than half my regular income....lol --go figger--one doesnot NEED to have lotsabux or be a trillionaire to cruise---get over it and go!!!!--most folks donot go because of fears of some unknown factor that willnot ever occur---hence they wait until after their heart attack to think of kicking off the docklines!! donot fall into that category--just GO and enjoy life.....ye has a boat--go play with it!! see ye out there.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 11:13   #73

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i
, but pay 100/mo for medicare b--go figger--is more than is paid for by individuals for private healthcare---
For my wife alone with a "conditon" I pay over 800.00 a month.

On what planet do you see private healthcare for less than 100.00?

Just wonderin.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 11:20   #74
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
For my wife alone with a "conditon" I pay over 800.00 a month.

On what planet do you see private healthcare for less than 100.00?

Just wonderin.
when i was working i paid only 20 dollars/mo into health care coverage and after i was nit anymore i was given a quote for 50 dollars / month---now there is 100 dollars/ month taken for medicare B out of my disability payments..AND they want me to get some kind of supplemental for neven more dollars---lol...and yes, i DO have underlying conditionS....is why i get disability......i live in kalifornikation--i should be able to get medi kal....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 11:27   #75

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
when i was working i paid only 20 dollars/mo into health care coverage and after i was nit anymore i was given a quote for 50 dollars / month---now there is 100 dollars/ month taken for medicare B out of my disability payments..AND they want me to get some kind of supplemental for neven more dollars---lol...and yes, i DO have underlying conditionS....is why i get disability......i live in kalifornikation--i should be able to get medi kal....

Ahhh, I see.
You have not been working for a long, looonngg time.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
financing