Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2008, 17:33   #16

Boat: 1994 Maxum 2400 SCR
All of the afore mentioned thoughts are great!. I know that when I told my wife I "found our next boat" the first question was OK, "and how are you paying for it?" One thing that we have agreed on when it comes to boats is to never have a note on one, at least not until we retire (in 15 years) then we will see if the mortgage is bigger on the house or the second home? LOL. But all in all it is like a round of golf, if a lost ball (of which i claim many a round) is standing between you and the poor house, would you go find it, or would you dare to play at all? I say play, the Lord gave you one life, enjoy it!!!!
Lake Barkley, KY
A bad day on the Water or a Good Day on Land?
Bobbin KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 17:41   #17

Boat: Van De Stadt 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
Veeeeery Interesting,

My boat is less than 10% of my net worth. My monthly income next year will be approximately $1,500 a month and I still feel broke! What am I doing wrong? No I do not have any rental houses. Is that the problem? I have read books where they go off sailing with nothing and I feel broke. Is this a state of mind? With entry fees for the Bahamas at $300, and other islands costing $ to clear, how do they do it? The last time I took off for a week, it was $800. I ate peanut butter and had the boat filled with food. What is the secret?

John
We learnt a lot of the attitudinal stuff from you guys too. Maybe it IS just a state of mind.

Don't know whose quote it is, but I do know I got it from a very old book, "As a man thinketh, so shall he be."
cisco007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 22:18   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I think our world is filled with people who have such an obsession with money and material things that they forget what really matters in life.... health, people and experiences. A boat, although a material good, provides for people experiences and life experiences unobtainable if ones sole purpose in life is to achieve wealth. Robert Kiyosaki perhaps does not understand that for many people there are higher priorities in life than achieving wealth.

As the old saying goes: Nobody on their death bed wishes they had spent more time at work.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 03:15   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
As the old saying goes: Nobody on their death bed wishes they had spent more time at work.
Unless they are paying for the Healthcare?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 08:52   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Gee at one time my $15,000 boat was my complete wealth. I had no job, and no money. Life sure was SIMPLE then........LOL
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 09:38   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
Rhosyn Mor is my only asset , and comprises my total net worth. I have zero passive income. This year has been good to me, I will net about $19K working. Poverty is a state of mind- once you have been able to afford the boat. The cost of cruising is another thread, but I know of more than a few people out for whom their Boat is all their net worth. It is not hard. THe real issue for a lot of people is IMHO that at this level of funding ones identity and that of ones boat become one and the same.....
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 09:51   #22

How do you pick a millionaire when you are driving along the street.

The guy driving the latest Mercedes or BMW is most likely not one. He is probably in hock up to his eyeballs.

The guy driving the four year old Chevvy or Ford very possibly might be one.

Rich or poor is a state of mind. I wouldn't sell any of my limbs for $1,000,000, so therefore I am worth over $4,000,000.

If when I wake up and I can have a seagull's breakfast (a drink of water and a look around), I consider myself a millionaire.

When I go sail my Walker Bay 8 or paddle my canoe at a time of my own choosing without asking for someone's permission, I consider that a millionaire lifestyle.

There are only three things in life that are certain. Birth, Life and Death. Everything else is optional, including taxes. The individual makes the choices and to my way of thinking, as long as you are having fun, not much else matters.

Cheers from Cisco.
Old 30-04-2008, 16:33   #23
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I drive an old 85 Chevy S-10. I must be a trillionaire and I didn't even know it. Hey Cisco can I borrow a couple of million dollars I have some new found collateral.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 17:27   #24

Hi Tellie,
Is that a Camero S-10, or don't I know American model cars as well as I think I do. I have a lot of fun looking at used cars in the U.S. on Buy New & Used Cars, Research Prices, Sell My Car, Find Auto Dealers. Some of them are just so cheap for what you get.

I have noticed the 60s and early 70s Mustangs are not cheap any more. There used to be a flow of them being imported to Australia but they say they are going back over there because of their new found popularity. Possibly the movie Gone in 60 Seconds has something to do with it.

My drive is a 1983 Ford Falcon S Pac with a 250 cubic inch straight 6 donk and a do it yourself 4 slot gearbox (ie manual).

The ideal yachtie's car I think. Not worth stealing and it goes every time I hit the key. I have been tooling around in it for 10 years now and just can't bring myself around to selling it.

Only a millionaire would drive a car like that!!!

Cheers from Cisco.
Old 30-04-2008, 18:16   #25

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Heh, I drive a jaguar and it looks pretty neat, but before anyone starts off about being in hock, its a 1989 model, cost me 5 grand and has never broken down...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 00:53   #26

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Heh, I drive a jaguar and it looks pretty neat, but before anyone starts off about being in hock, its a 1989 model, cost me 5 grand and has never broken down...
Never broken down
Must be on blocks

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:46   #27

No. It probably has a Chev or Ford V8 in it. Apologies to Weyalan.

Hey Weyalan, I just noticed your yacht is a Van De Stadt too, IOR 40', good name too. Is that IOR 2 tonner. Alloy?? I remember seeing a photo of her on the site somewhere. Damn hot lookin Yacht.

I had an IOR 2 tonner some time ago. A Doug Peterson 42 called ENVY II. She was in survey 2C (6+2 offshore) and 1D (16+2) partially smooth, sail training. It would actually sleep 12 people below deck. An incredibly strong alloy hull with a bolted on lead keel.

There were 13 winches on deck. Barlows with bronze spindles, stainless bearings and alloy drums. I used to run the cabin lights off them.

I looooved that boat. Cheers Cisco.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:06   #28
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco007 View Post
Hi Tellie,
Is that a Camero S-10, or don't I know American model cars as well as I think I do. I have a lot of fun looking at used cars in the U.S. on Buy New & Used Cars, Research Prices, Sell My Car, Find Auto Dealers. Some of them are just so cheap for what you get.

I have noticed the 60s and early 70s Mustangs are not cheap any more. There used to be a flow of them being imported to Australia but they say they are going back over there because of their new found popularity. Possibly the movie Gone in 60 Seconds has something to do with it.

My drive is a 1983 Ford Falcon S Pac with a 250 cubic inch straight 6 donk and a do it yourself 4 slot gearbox (ie manual).

The ideal yachtie's car I think. Not worth stealing and it goes every time I hit the key. I have been tooling around in it for 10 years now and just can't bring myself around to selling it.

Only a millionaire would drive a car like that!!!

Cheers from Cisco.

No an S10 is one of those small basic white pickup trucks. On mine the windows don't work, the brakes are fair, you have to baby the clutch slave, you'll always grind a pound of gears getting her into reverse. The windshield lamination is separating, no power sterring, brakes or A/C ever installed. The two side windows fall in the door cavity if I hit a bump, a pain to get back up so I leave them down. No headliner and the rear view mirror fell off years ago. The glove compartment has papers in it that probably date back to the Dead Sea Scrolls, who knows who cares. In the back bed there is 300 feet of old anchor chain I was hoping someone would steal, two five gallon buckets with old blocks, soda cans, gum wrappers, misc. bits of sheets and line I've cut off and two gallons of rain water in each. She hasn't been washed in two years so don't rub up against her in a black dress, I haven't changed the oil in her for over a year because it costs more than she's worth and my teenage daughter won't be caught dead in it. But she's never given up the ghost and runs better than any other 23 year old clunker I know. N0 one wants to steal her so I never have to worry if I locked the doors or rolled up the windows and she's always waiting there for me when I get back to the parking lot. I'm really serious this is the vehical I drive. I'll post a pic if you want. Of course my wifes car is different but it's still only a Toyota Camry. Personally I don't think there's a car made that's worth more than 20K.
If I'm going to spend 20K plus It'll be for a nice 65 Mustang or 69 Z-28 Camero. I could buy a nice new midsize car for about 30K and watch it drop in value like a rock or I can spend that money on a 65 Mustang convertable, enjoy it for a few years and get my money back when I sell it. People that buy cars new are throwing away good money. The reason I told the sales manager at Toyota, after he ran my credit check, I could afford the top of the line vehicles they sell is because I won't buy the top of the line vehicles they sell.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:43   #29

Boat: Lagoon 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post

I drive an old 85 Chevy S-10. I must be a trillionaire and I didn't even know it. Hey Cisco can I borrow a couple of million dollars I have some new found collateral.
From Cisco's previous message I guess he'll be willing to lend a hand.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:42   #30

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
My net worth? Maybe $10,100. My boat worth? Maybe $10,000....

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
financing