Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2012, 18:13   #16
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Re: Engine Survey - how important when buying a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
trying to find a good honest engine mechanic could take a couple of years.

<ROFL>
Cool idea about the escrow. I doubt they would go for that but I won't know until I try.

As a general follow up, we did the hull survey today and it turned out generally ok except for a bunch of delaminations which apparently are quite common with Catalinas. There was a severe noise problem with the engine - it sounded like a real sick puppy. We did a haulout and discovered that the cutlass bearing was basically no longer present. The broker will fix the issue and we will do another sea trial.

Again, thanks for all the input !!
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 04:44   #17

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
<ROFL>
As a general follow up, we did the hull survey today and it turned out generally ok except for a bunch of delaminations which apparently are quite common with Catalinas.

I have owned three Catalinas, a 27, 36 and now the 470.... A six year old boat should not have any delamination.

What did the surveyor report delaminating?

You might want to go to the International Catalina 36 Assocaition Site and research or ask questions:

http://www.c36ia.com/

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 07:57   #18
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
I have owned three Catalinas, a 27, 36 and now the 470.... A six year old boat should not have any delamination.

What did the surveyor report delaminating?

You might want to go to the International Catalina 36 Assocaition Site and research or ask questions:

http://www.c36ia.com/

Small(ish) spots, mostly in the 3" to 6" diameter where the fiberglass layup doesn't properly adhere in between all layers. A manufacturing defect. Not visible but revealed when tapping the fiberglass with a small hammer. In this case only on the deck but could be happening anywhere. Also in this case nowhere near deck penetrations.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 08:41   #19

I like engine surveys although they can be expensive. I actually found a good local place that does oil analysis. I buy a lot of boats and I pull samples and send them out to Motor Check in west palm beach, FL. They give me quick results(same day) so I can make a decision asap. Oil analysis isnt the be all end all, but I really like it.
dandaman3219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 09:25   #20

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Engine oil analysis has it's limitations, like most things. If you choose to have it done, take into consideration it's limited value as a one-time test.

Although it can confirm an existing problem, it has little value as a diagnostic tool unless previous analyses are available with which to compare progress and any trend.

To many people place too much value on one single test.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 10:02   #21

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I'm with jeremaison on this one... get an engine/mechanical survey and oil analysis even if you have some mechanical ability. Any questions about the usefulness of a mechanical survey could be directed to Rakuflames who thought she had a real deal going on her new purchase only to find she had bought a boatload of problems. I believe she may have had to replace her powerplant at considerable expense. She has some good advice on mechanical surveys... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 11:14   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Unless the oil has just been changed (which is a red flag in itself) even one oil analysis with no baseline information will tell you some things. Trace contaminants can tell you if it is taking coolant in, if there is blowby past the rings, if there is valve wear or bearing wear since those add trace metals that normally won't be present in large quantities. It says more IF there has been a baseline but it still can warn you of an expensive failure that is pending a hundred hours down the line.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 14:23   #23

Boat: 33 Dufour GibSea

Hello All:

I'm in the same boat, no pun intended. I am looking at a diesel engine that's not reaching its maximum RPM and which had low coolant, and which is bringing up a heat alarm.

I'm being told by surveyors, brokers etc. that that can be a function of too high a prop pitch. But I don't know whether that's a valid opinion or not.

How much does a Survey cost? Are surveyor's available? And how long does it take?

Thanks for your help.

Michael
Goofeyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 14:39   #24

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofeyfoot View Post
I am looking at a diesel engine that's not reaching its maximum RPM and which had low coolant, and which is bringing up a heat alarm.

I'm being told by surveyors, brokers etc. that that can be a function of too high a prop pitch. But I don't know whether that's a valid opinion or not.

How much does a Survey cost? Are surveyor's available? And how long does it take?
Just out of curiosity how did they come to the idea it was the wrong prop... Did the old owner switch props? How much difference is the current Max RPMs from the maximum you are not reaching?

It could be a number of things all of which will be identified by a good mechanic doing an engine survey. It takes about 3-5 hours per engine.

I have no idea what Engine Surveys cost in your area, but down here a Good Engine Survey runs about $500-$700 per engine. I think they charge about $75 for an oil test as well.

If you are using a Yacht Broker they can point you in the right direction to find a good mechanic. If not ask your boat buddies, Marine Supply Stores or Yacht Clubs...

Good Luck!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 14:41   #25

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
.... and here is the problem .... I have yet to meet a mechanic that is more than a wrench monkey (although I am talking automotive here)

Anybody know a good mechanic in Victoria BC or Sidney BC ? Someone that actually knows his/her stuff ?
Just realized I responded to a 4 year old post LOL

I will look up the name but the guys who installled my engine were real good in both Sidney and Victoria. I think that by listening to the engine when the starter turns you will have a pretty good idea of the compression being even on the engine. If it goes crank crank crank womp then you can hear that one cylinder is different then the other. It is a simplified compression test.

A more effective test than a compression test is a leak down test but most mechanics will not want to run one or have the equipment to do so. It will tell you about the inside of an engine without opening her up.

I think that you need to weigh your chances -- a new engine will run you $15k or more installed. Does the seller have a maintenance log or records? That is a telltale sign but not the only one.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 14:48   #26

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofeyfoot View Post
Hello All:

I'm in the same boat, no pun intended. I am looking at a diesel engine that's not reaching its maximum RPM and which had low coolant, and which is bringing up a heat alarm.

Thanks for your help.

Michael
I think in your case it is more important to have an engine survey done. There are already some obvious problems. I would try to find one by talking to Marine stores etc. Sources other then brokers. Try to find a mechanic who doesn't mind killing deals. Brokers won't recommend that type of mechanic.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 15:04   #27

I have not had an engine survey done in the past except once and came out OK. But I'm pretty mechanically inclined. Possibly one exception on an engine that ran fine for 9 months. However, I ran into a person that knew the previous owner who happened to ask "how is that starboard engine doing?" later on I had problems with it! But if there are any existing issues I would want one.
Regarding RPM: How far from max rpm? Will it go there in neutral?
If I'm paying for an engine survey, I would definitely want a compression test for the money. It's amazing how many boat mechanics don't have the adaptors necessary to do a diesel compression test. I would ask that question.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 02:02   #28

Well in terms of rpm, I don't know what rpm it would achieve in neutral. I only know that in forward it would only come within about 20% of the rating of 2600 RPMs.
Old 23-04-2016, 09:56   #29

Hmmm.... well some folks pitch the prop to 15% less than max... so it's getting close. But the easy test may be if it gets there in neutral. Do you know the bottom condition? sometimes a prop can be encrusted with barnacles and definitely wont reach rpm.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 11:18   #30

Thanks for your note. No, the bottom was pressure washed before we did the sea trial.

Tags
buying, engine, survey