Re: Don’t Know What I Don’t Know

This wonderful website: Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 11:30   #17

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBNDom View Post
Hello! I’m new to the forum and have been out of boating for 25 years. My wife and I are looking to get back in now that our two kids are out of college and we have more time and a little more $ (not much). We would like to have a fresh water cruiser/yacht that offers some descent room to entertain, but would like to spend less than $90,000.
Our concern is that we are finding a lot of boats in the 30’-36’ range that are from the mid90’s to very early 2000’s, but wonder; “How old is too old.” We plan to dock in the southern Lake Michigan (St. Joseph, MI). Any thoughts from those of you who have purchased your share of used boats? Although we have some experience with boating, it has been so long that we just don’t know what we don’t know. Are there certain things we should stay away from? Look for? We understand the requirement to get a good survey, but don’t want to pay for a survey on something we should have known that raised a red flag.
Thanks in advance!
Check out this link from a CF member I saved Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 12:08   #18

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Too old is wood built. [emoji907]
Are you looking for power or sail?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 12:39   #19
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBNDom View Post
Hello! I’m new to the forum and have been out of boating for 25 years. My wife and I are looking to get back in now that our two kids are out of college and we have more time and a little more $ (not much). We would like to have a fresh water cruiser/yacht that offers some descent room to entertain, but would like to spend less than $90,000.
Our concern is that we are finding a lot of boats in the 30’-36’ range that are from the mid90’s to very early 2000’s, but wonder; “How old is too old.” We plan to dock in the southern Lake Michigan (St. Joseph, MI). Any thoughts from those of you who have purchased your share of used boats? Although we have some experience with boating, it has been so long that we just don’t know what we don’t know. Are there certain things we should stay away from? Look for? We understand the requirement to get a good survey, but don’t want to pay for a survey on something we should have known that raised a red flag.
Thanks in advance!
As you are planning for Lake Michigan waters versus offshore sailing and are judicious in checking the weather before sailing your latitude in selection is maximized. I lived in St. Joseph many years ago and understand the boat will be hauled every winter.

Look at as many boats as possible...then look some more...you can't see too many boats. Take your time and make each viewing an outing for her. Take notes and photos. After a while you and your wife will have a good idea what you need in terms of size and comforts.

I would stay away from the following: wood deck/mast/hull, bowsprits, v-drives, saildrives, turbo engines, centerboard keels, iron keels, painted decks/hulls, iron fuel tanks, aluminum tanks that are not elevated off the bilge, and shallow bilges.

I have not mentioned many, many items on purpose. Don't be fooled by electronics, gadgets, and toys. A seaworthy boat is most important.

Once you have selected a few go to saildata.com and review their individual specifications and ratios. Understand what you are buying.

Age is only a number but condition is paramount.

My last boat came with a very low hour engine and my present boat with a new engine and I haven't been sorry.

Try to buy close to home to eliminate any transport coasts.

Call your insurance company to get an estimate on boat insurance. Do the same for your marina of choice before purchase.

Lastly, there are always tradeoffs...no boat is perfect.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 14:21   #20

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

I would agree with everyone who says a well-maintened older boat beats a newer, neglected one hands down. You might get, read and use a book on marine surveying to do an initial survey of any boat you are interested in - before spending big bucks on a professional. And you need to be REALLY careful choosing one of those too - as many people on here over the years have attested. Complaints about marine surveyors are legion.

Here's one book you might consider:

https://www.amazon.com/Your-Own-Boat.../dp/1472903676 .

When you have selected the possible love of your life and have checked her out as best you can yourself, come back here and tell us what you found. There are lots of opinions about what is the best equipment, etc. For example, lots of us wouldn't touch a Volvo engine with a ten foot pole (or a six foot Ukrainian for that matter

Electronics change so fast and they are so susceptible to marginal storage conditions, etc. that, regardless how good everything seems, you should probably budget to replace them all. Then, once you buy the boat you MAY have the pleasant surprise that some of them are still serviceable and useful.

Welcome to the club. It can be frustrating, terrifying, VERY expensive and time-consuming (beyond anyone's wildest imagination) and extraordinarily wonderful and rewarding.

Good luck!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 17:42   #21

Thank you to everyone who took the time to provide us insight. I apologize for not mentioning we are looking for a power boat. I think we are going to slow down and take the entire summer to look at as many boats as possible. This way we will have a much better idea of what’s out there. There was some great advice here. Thanks again!
SBNDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 02:41   #22

FYI - boatpoker, a member of this forum, is a liveaboard on Lake Ontario and an excellent surveyor. He and his wife live on a large cabin cruiser that they refit themselves. She came through our Club this past Summer so I had the opportunity to see her.

Anyway, when you find a likely boat and need a survey, he's a forum member you could contact.

Good luck! LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 21:04   #23

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

As for me, I can tell alot about the maintenance on a boat from looking at hose clamps and electrical connections. There are many things to look for in a boat but if the hose clamps are all rusty and crusty, the owner didn't worry about clamp failure.
Electrical connections will be the biggest nightmare on a used boat. If a owner takes the time to make great heat shrink ox-ide filled mechanical connections, then the rest of the boat has been taken care of. If the connections are crimp connections from Harbor freight, walk away, the rest of the boat has been band aided to gether. Just look in the bilge and battery box for wiring. This will tell volumes of owner maintenance.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote