Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2016, 02:06   #1

Documents while out...

Bought a boat in the UK and imported it to Sweden. I received a lot of sales documents, etc. in the process, which to me clearly show I and my girlfriend own the boat.

In sweden you do not need to register a boat less that 12 meters in any type of registry thus you do not need any formal paper from the government on board the boat. You can however register in the swedish registry for a fee of 1000 EUR an expense i do not want to take.

Has anyone had experience with paperwork with out cruising. Our plan would be to do an Atlantic crossing from sweden, working the islands and then coming back. Do you believe there would be issues with not having a boat formally registered in the country it is flagged and does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks
rubberduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 04:10   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Documents while out...

We have checked into over 30 countries in the Caribbean, Latin America and the Pacific and every one has required that we present the boat's registration.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 05:40   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Documents while out...

"issues with not having a boat formally registered in the country it is flagged"

Without a national registration, you aren't "flagged". You are a stateless vessel.

Without national registration, you will have great difficulty in clearing in or out of most countries.

And if you do manage to get into a country, since you are not foreign registered, you will be subject to all of the local registration/licencing/safety etc etc requirements.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men