Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2021, 04:54   #76

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Do I need a lawyer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imimi View Post
Gee sounds like this Brexit is a real winner for Brit boat owners...how many boaters voted for it?
52% I think.

One kick in the crutch was the UK has always offered visitors 6 months of freedom, so long as they behave and drink tea. During the Brexit talks we offered repressed EU citizens the same 6 months deal and so it came to pass. the EU being nice said do you want people in the free state (UK) to have 6 months in the EU? and we said no Of course the EU may have added some extra conditions in the small print at the back, hoping no one noticed.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:03   #77

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Gee sounds like this Brexit is a real winner for Brit boat owners...how many boaters voted for it?
Probably a minority voted brexit but some believed UK would be treated differently from all other countries. Some still expect the 90 days in my 180 will change for the UK.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 22:21   #78

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Thanks for all the advice. In the end I contacted a UK marine lawyer who were unable to help me as the seller insisted it be covered by Dutch law. So, I then found a Dutch marine lawyer and asked him to help. He was very good and explained to the broker why certain parts of their contract had to be re-written and got it changed. (I think when I approached them with this they thought I was just trying to get one over on them).

So, it's survey day on Monday... all I now need to do is work out if SSR Part 3 will be OK (rather than part 1) if I am spending less than 180 days (next year) in the UK...

Once again thanks for your comments!
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 06:43   #79

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
I think very few boat owners would of voted for it, the very fact that you own a boat suggests you were doing ok with UK in the EU, problem is the ones that have, forgot about the ones that don’t have and that left a hugh split in the UK
Then parents see their children unable to get on the decent jobs ladder, due to companies not training new staff from school, and I stead employing cheaper EU labour instead, now it’s back fired on those companies who find wages rocketing for skilled staff created by the lack of training, for the last 20 years.
so some of us have done really well out of the skills shortage this created.
while being one of those who was affected in a good way, I was not at all surprised by the Vote for Brexit - I was only surprised that it wasn’t a complete landslide.
My colleagues can’t understand it as some of them work for a UK company and live and work in Europe.
I just remind them that it’s a nice problem to have.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 06:48   #80
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

never had a buyers broker but i know one and it sounds like a REALLY good thing. they are hesitant to get into a deal for a boat less than 100K though.