Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Cruising Repair Shop?
Hell Yeah! 6 42.86%
You're Crazy! 2 14.29%
You're Crazy, but Hell Yeah! 6 42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2011, 07:21   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Cruising Repair Biz ?

On the other hand, with the proper permits and visas, there are some really viable and good business opportunities.
- - In Tyrrel Bay, Carriacou, a cruiser lashed together some pontoons and built a deck and workshop on them. He does welding and other related work. After a few years he has developed a loyal following and is a recommended place to get some work done. You can bring your boat and side tie it to his "shop" and repairs done with really minimal trouble or hassle.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 07:24   #17

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

I have numerous skill sets and have found them usefull when crusing but as it has been mentioned you can get in trouble with the local athorities and get booted out of THEIR country on a moments notice. A good carb O/H on a dink is worth 1 bottle of rum. Just make it look like its about the rum.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 07:37   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
At the very least, you'd find a large hole cut in the side of your inflatable.
f
Well, if I told you what I'd do next then I'd have to shoot you.

Doh!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 07:57   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my cruising doesnt need fixed but my boat always does---i didnt vote because of the wording....LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 08:17   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Your poll doesn't give me the option of expressing my own preference.

I would prefer giving my business to local shops whenever possible, simply because I think it's a good practice for cruisers to support local economies, especially local businesses that have sprung up to support cruisers.

When cruising in Canada and Mexico I have found local mechanics, welders, bright workers, et cetera, to deliver the quality of service I would expect from my own home boat yard, always for significantly less money.

My preference, therefore, would be to encourage you not to compete under the table with the local boat repair industry.
Old 13-06-2011, 08:39   #21

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Well, if I told you what I'd do next then I'd have to shoot you.

Doh!
Being an a**hole will not gain you any points within the rest of the cruising community

nor will it gain any favor within CF.

Further comment from me will spike the rude button amongst the mods, but it involves a dull knife.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 09:23   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

I've thought a lot about this. I suspect that long-term cruisers are a lot like the people who live in my marina. We're all willing to help and the culture makes it hard to ask for money in return.
Old 13-06-2011, 09:30   #23

doj is ok--he is a yoooneek soul....
Old 13-06-2011, 09:41   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Being an a**hole will not gain you any points within the rest of the cruising community
I can't imagine anything worse than being part of a cruising "community". If I ever want to immerse myself in a trailor park style community I will buy myself a Trailor

Then again, people ain't ever been my strong point

Quote:
nor will it gain any favor within CF.

Further comment from me will spike the rude button amongst the mods, but it involves a dull knife.
I would claim in my defence that was meant as a joke. Truth be told I might be lying when I say that
Old 13-06-2011, 09:52   #25

Quote:
I can't imagine anything worse than being part of a cruising "community". If I ever want to immerse myself in a trailor park style community I will buy myself a Trailor

Then again, people ain't ever been my strong point

and THAT, DOJ, is why i like YOU---people arent always the critters they consider themselves to be......
Old 18-06-2011, 17:05   #26

Quote:
My first thought was that if I got you to do some work - and then told you to f#ck off when it came to the bill, what could you do about it?
After you've fixed the fella's Yanmar, don't fill it up with oil. If he pays you, remind him as you're leaving to put oil in his motor. If he doesn't, then don't.

Actually, I'd probably just open a beer and trust that karma would work her magic, as she always does.
ReeseDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 19:36   #27

Basically, working for money fixing boats while outside your home country will both get you in trouble with the local governments and local labor - and - probably alienate you from the rest of the cruising community. It is just is not done. We help each other according to our talents and skills and do not want or accept any monetary consideration. Normally a dinner invite or a bottle of wine is all that is offered or accepted.
Old 19-06-2011, 03:37   #28
Armchair Bucketeer

My original point was that as an illegal worker that you do have to take into account folk playing "Unfair". As said:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Basically, working for money fixing boats while outside your home country will both get you in trouble with the local governments and local labor - and - probably alienate you from the rest of the cruising community. It is just is not done. We help each other according to our talents and skills and do not want or accept any monetary consideration. Normally a dinner invite or a bottle of wine is all that is offered or accepted.
As I am not "out there" (at least not on a boat ) can't say what is normal on swapping skills (albeit my bet is plenty who think a warm beer is fair exchange for a total refit , unless it's them doing the work - but that is just based on a lifetime's understanding of human nature )........I would also add to the above (from having dealt with fellow furriners when abroad) that they are just as likely to drop you in it with the legal authorities - for reasons that cover from jealousy, to being "unfair", to simply enjoying the only bit of power they will ever have. (and a squillion other reasons, that may make no sense).

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
On the other hand, with the proper permits and visas, there are some really viable and good business opportunities.
- - In Tyrrel Bay, Carriacou, a cruiser lashed together some pontoons and built a deck and workshop on them. He does welding and other related work. After a few years he has developed a loyal following and is a recommended place to get some work done. You can bring your boat and side tie it to his "shop" and repairs done with really minimal trouble or hassle.
That sounds like someone has found what they set out for .

And plenty of scope to get some locals onboard so not seen as simply taking - that goes into the DOJ bank . When Furrin, getting legal usually ain't rocket science and has big advantages (albeit of course downsides like Taxes, licences, insurance etc). Having said that, running illegal has advantages - just gotta make sure it pays very well. and yer don't get caught
Old 19-06-2011, 05:42   #29
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Cruising Repair Biz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
When we were out cruising in the '70s,.... They were a pretty self sufficient group.
I think they're pretty much the same.

of the 60 or so boats in this bay there's only 2 having work done and they are getting it done by the shore based established companies. One boat is inexperienced. He's paying out loads.

There's 3 boats offering their services 'under the radar' and none are getting any work.

Mind you, this area is a long cruise from the USA so most folks have a bit of experience by the time they get here.

But doing an area where there's no shoreside established buisnesses and lots of new cruisers, then you might make cigarette money. Not beer money.

I don't know why cruisers who fix are often bypassed, or looked down upon, or just not used, but thems the facts!
When approaching a cruiser-fixer we just don't know if the guy has ever seen a Yanmar! At least in a mechanics shop with a Yanmar sign you know his business has survived long enough to buy a cash register. Though he might charge you double, at least you may have recourse when he screws up. But not the guy in the bay. He'll sail away.
Plus the Yanmar mechanic will probably know the engine and problem better and be able to fix it faster.

There have been a few fixer-cruisers that I have been looking at in the last 8 months to do some little jobs ono my boat that I would prefer an expert to do. But my problem is they don't stay in my neck of the woods for long enough, they are unreliable, and talk up their expertise to the ******** reigns level.
Of course, one tests a cruiser-fixer with a small job first.

I have only had one small job done, 1 hour work at a low hourly rate.
I sailed south he sailed north. Theres still more little jobs to do but they're just not that important.

One other thing that shits me about cruiser-fixers is they are all so broke they are just like this forum at times: "Hi I need a light bulb changed" Fixer: Maaaate! It needs to be LED. You need a new socket for it! Thats needs new wire. Needs a new breaker on your pannel. NEEDs new wire to the battery. Need NEW wire to the Regulator. NEEDS NEW REGULATOR, ALTERNATOR AND... ENGINE!!!!!!

So one just tells then to piss off and we go buy the bulb ourselves.

Now if you are the one guy who isn't like that, how do you tell the other cruisers? You can't advertise on the VHF or in the open. Word of mouth? Thats a lot of bar time!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 05:57   #30

Quote:
. . . And plenty of scope to get some locals onboard so not seen as simply taking - that goes into the DOJ bank . When Furrin, getting legal usually ain't rocket science and has big advantages (albeit of course downsides like Taxes, licences, insurance etc). Having said that, running illegal has advantages - just gotta make sure it pays very well. and yer don't get caught
- - One of the unique characteristics of long term cruising is that the folks doing it are strange and very different from "normal" folk. Most do have a technical skill or background and if not soon acquire one from having to repair their boats in "exotic locations."
- - When it comes to major repairs there are boatyards and marine service outfits just about everywhere. And almost, if not all, have been started and are operated by "Ex-Pats." These are cruisers who had been "out there" for usually a considerable time and finally found "Their One Particular Harbor." And settled down, started a business to do the large or complicated jobs for other cruisers that cannot be done otherwise. And the Ex-Pats end up training and employing locals which makes them very welcome by the local governments and locals. It's a "Win-Win" for everybody.
- - Minor problems with the boats and stuff that happens when there are no service outfits nearby are handled by the collective skills and talents of the members of the cruising community anchored about. It is sort of like helping out your brother or sister with a project in their home. Except for me and my boat very few others carry extensive equipment or supplies to do anything other than simple fixes or "patches" to get the fellow cruiser to the next place with better services. But the expanse and wealth of experience amongst the cruisers is amazing and somebody is sure to be able to assist and help solve the problem. As mentioned it is consider "crass" to expect or want any kind of recompense beyond our unspoken creed to "pass it forward" - that is, if you are helped then you are obligated to help somebody else according to your talents in the future. And it works . . .

Tags
cruising