Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2021, 20:51   #1

Boat: 1969 Cal-34
Cruising from your own dock? Real Estate Options?

A friend of mine was thrilled to share a zillow link for some townhouse in Fort Lauderdale with its own dock (google "2067391810_zpid" if you must see). Price $1.2M. Digging into google maps I found it was a 5+ mile trip to the ocean from that dock, ergo a 1+ hour trip to the ocean what with no-wake zones.

This got me wondering? Does anyone have suggestions for real-estate locations on the American East/West/South Coasts or Great Lakes where real-estate is cheap enough that a fellow could have his own dock and cruise right from his own back yard? By "cheap" I suppose I mean something under $400K or thereabouts.

I had initially thought something further up the Panhandle or down the Keys would serve, but typical prices there are >$1M, too. And then I got tired of searching and thought I'd try to ask this question as my first post here as a new member (and a new boat owner). Please be kind!
pbnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 22:56   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Cruising from your own dock? Real Estate Options?

Welcome aboard CF. I hope you like the answers you get.

CF doesn't allow land classifieds, so you'll need another commercial source for waterfront properties, and ime, those are quite expensive, being so limited in existence, and there being so many boats.

Ann
Old 05-12-2021, 23:38   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

There’s an in-between option that we did: buy a marina slip and a house nearby.

Marinas selling slips are setup as condos. Ours is in Port Canaveral so the port is owned by the Port Authority and you own the right of use of the slip. Straight shot out to sea.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 00:24   #4

There are some marinas in New England which are dockominiums. But they are pricey, both to buy and HOA fees. In Maine there are out of the way houses with docks but usually in more remote locations and the climate is brutal for 8-9 months.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:41   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnelson View Post
A friend of mine was thrilled to share a zillow link for some townhouse in Fort Lauderdale with its own dock (google "2067391810_zpid" if you must see). Price $1.2M. Digging into google maps I found it was a 5+ mile trip to the ocean from that dock, ergo a 1+ hour trip to the ocean what with no-wake zones.

This got me wondering? Does anyone have suggestions for real-estate locations on the American East/West/South Coasts or Great Lakes where real-estate is cheap enough that a fellow could have his own dock and cruise right from his own back yard? By "cheap" I suppose I mean something under $400K or thereabouts.

I had initially thought something further up the Panhandle or down the Keys would serve, but typical prices there are >$1M, too. And then I got tired of searching and thought I'd try to ask this question as my first post here as a new member (and a new boat owner). Please be kind!
Depends on how "nice" it has to be.

I was lucky enough to be transferred back to the coast in the mid-1990's. (Tennessee to Pensacola, FL.)

I was already racing Beach Cats in Tennessee and Mississippi but the Gulf Coast then was one of the best places for this with the best / latest model boats and toughest competition.

Long story short I found an Apartment on the water with a dock and place just above high water for both my Beach Cats. Next question was what new boat would I get monohull or hi-tech beachcat.

Anyway back then a two bedroom apartment there was $450/month. I also lived in a one bedroom apartment down the same street for $360/month for a while waiting for one on the water

These days though the place has been totally rebuilt and has a seawall where I used to park my beach cats but still quite affordable.

The kicker is whether you pay $1 mil or $250,000 it's still on the water. The place was rebuilt due to Hurricane Ivan which put 8' of water into the lower floor apartments in 2004.

I had moved by then but have thought a lot about it since.

Btw, looks like you can still rent there. Back in the day a slip was $50 if you rented there.

Rent now for an apartment is $1,104/month. They are small two bedroom apartments.
https://www.apartmentratings.com/fl/...0456033132507/

Depth coming in used to be about 6' because one guy used to complain about hitting bottom in the narrow stretch by the navy base. He had an old Tayana 37 I believe. He lost it during the hurricane when it was knocked off the stands in the boatyard where he had it pulled just before the storm hit.

Pensacola Bay is in upper right of view from the air as is the narrow section. Pensacola Pass to the Gulf is about 5 miles South.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TL.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	249408   Click image for larger version

Name:	AV.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	249409  

Name:	the land1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	249410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ivan track.gif
Views:	116
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	249411  

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:32   #6

Boat: Grand Banks 36' Motor Yacht

Take a look at Hernando Beach. It is very secluded as it is surrounded by thousands of acres of nature preserve. It is on the Gulf of Mexico and a small house with canal front from 50-70 feet is within your price range. It has boats up to 60' on residential docks. Look at it on Google Earth version on google maps. There are 4 marinas, a small fleet of shrimp, stone crab and fishing boats that call Hernando Beach home.
hernandobeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:35   #7

Boat: Taswell 43

Following.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:04   #8

OP here. I have to say, I'm really impressed with this forum. So many nice replies so swiftly!

Thinking about my question, I'm really just curious about general cruising grounds, with specific properties relevant only to the extent that they illustrate the point; I'm certainly not moving. Remote Maine sounds great, except for the part about the brutal climate 8-9 months of the year, though I can't imagine the weather is really any more brutal than here in Minnesota. The apartment with a dock is also a really neat idea.

Perhaps my question could be restated: what are the lower-priced cruising grounds in America, especially the South? What about Puerto Rico? Is it crazy to imagine that for the price of a median US house (i.e. $400K) a man could get a place on a coast, with a dock, to keep his own 34' yacht ready for short cruises? Or is this just the unrealizable starter dream of every landlubber newby to the lifestyle?
Old 06-12-2021, 06:34   #9

Our boat (Island Packet 27) is at our dock, steps away from our condo in Sarasota, Florida. We are a short walk from St. Armand's Circle, a premier shopping and dining spot and a bit longer walk to Lido Beach. Our heated pool is large enough to swim laps and biking paths on Longboat key and Lido key are easy rides. We are on Sarasota Bay, a great sailing destination in it's own right and 1 mile from New Pass and access to the Gulf of Mexico. We sail "outside" along the gulf beaches from Tampa Bay to Key West and the Dry Tortugas. When the weather pipes up, we just duck "inside" and cruise the ICW which consists of sheltered bays within barrier islands from Tampa Bay to Sanibel. The cruising along the coast and ICW is prime, with restaurants and marinas every few miles, and remote beaches and anchorages abound. The condos in our association are in the $400-$500k range. Quite the bargain for seaside living with all the amenities and fabulous views of the bay and Sarasota's skyline. Caveats - Water at our docks is only 4', but with a 3/4 keel and swing down centerboard we only draw 32". There is a limit of 32' LOA at the docks. It's our version of paradise.
SRQsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:44   #10

So the only draw back I found when living near the water (besides the 8-9 hurricanes we had from 1995-2009) and also sailing is that you are all in on just one thing.

You are on the water living, and you are on the water sailing etc.

This I considered heaven for about 5 years then I was ready for a change.

Even the warm weather being in Florida got old after about 14 years, and it was so enjoyable coming back up here and seeing all four season especially Fall and Winter (this after I had bought the proper clothes since all I had when I first came back were very thin summer clothes which they sell in Florida)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Farm.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	249415   Click image for larger version

Name:	mitch.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	249416  

Old 06-12-2021, 06:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Even the warm weather being in Florida got old after about 14 years
...it was my friend who is interested in Florida; for myself, the heat would kill me. I'm much more of a four-seasons cool-weather guy, personally. I wonder about the Alaska coast?
Old 06-12-2021, 07:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnelson View Post
...it was my friend who is interested in Florida; for myself, the heat would kill me. I'm much more of a four-seasons cool-weather guy, personally. I wonder about the Alaska coast?
There are a couple guys on CF that post regularly from Alaska that sail.

You might want to post something so they will see it and can comment.

Btw, the heat is Pensacola is totally sweltering during July and August so much so that some folks rarely venture away from the AC kinda like a cold Winter up North where some folks stay indoors as much as possible.

I was lucky since we only had one Hurricane in July that knocked out the power for a few days the rest were in the Fall when it was cooler or power was only off for a day or so not a week or two like with some storms
Old 06-12-2021, 07:13   #13

In answer to your question, we are currently in Puerto Rico (east coast). We have been using this marina-because of its excellent facilities and protection from hurricanes-for the past 7 years. Our "routine" has been come here and resplash mid Nov, sail the USVI/BVI/windward/leeward islands for the season, return to Puerto Rico and put our boat up on the hard in mid-May, and return for the summer to our MN lake home. We have yet to find any property here with a private dock. There are marinas, and condos/homes close by. To give you a comparison, for our 43' monohull sailboat this marina (+1100 wet slips, but with really good facilities and security) costs us ~$650/mo up on the hard, plus $450 to haul out/block/resplash, and ~$650/mo wet slip with a yearly contract; by the month our wet slip charge is about $1400!!. There are other marinas, in other PR locations, that are smaller and may be some cheaper, but we went for the hurricane security.....during the double hurricane hit in 2017, we lost the masthead windex, and that's all! Condos we've looked at around here (2 bdrm, 1-2 bath, all in multi-floor bldgs) have been in the $250k-$350k range. I should note we've heard really good things about the west coast-but we've not been there yet. The constant trad winds are always out of the east, and slogging the 40nm to St Thomes is enough for us.....adding the 120 mile length of the island a west-coast layup would add to that is not high on our list. BUT...PR is a VERY nice place, lots of shopping, etc, eating places, everything you might want;speaking spanish would be a real help, and the current 11.5% tax on everything does get your attention! FWIW.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:18   #14

PS...the temp while we're here is typically an 80*-85* day, 70*-75* night, east winds of 10-25, and usually a passing squall or 2....very pleasant.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:05   #15

USA, Gulf of Mexico, not near major metropolitan areas. Palacios Texas, ICW and a nice bay there, home of many Gulf fishing boats. Bring your own job because the area does not support any jobs that I know of and commercial fishing is about gone. Within 100 Miles southwest of Houston area so is not isolated but too far to commute. The area around Georgetown, South Carolina, ICW they have been discovered but still good values in water fronted property for a major area. I see a board and breakfast with a dock.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, dock