Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2017, 03:43   #1

Cruising Boat Builder

Hello

My partner and I are considering heading off to cruise the South Pacific and Asia for a couple of years and I am wondering if I would be able to get a little work in Ports we stop in. Im a qualified boat builder and composite technician and have been thinking I could bring along my tools and get some work while out cruising. Do you think there would be a need and if so how would you let people know.

Cheers
HansChristian33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 04:22   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Cruising Boat Builder

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, HC.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 05:35   #3

Legally, it's tough. Most countries are very protective of the local labor market, particularly for what they consider manual labor jobs (yeah, I know there is a skill set but doesn't mean the authorities will understand).

A few small under the table jobs for cruisers, probably get away with it but the local competition won't be happy if they find out.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 16:05   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

What's your plan in terms of supplies of various composite materials, consumables, etc.? As this kind of work burns through a lot of them, obviously.

I would think that you could find work, espeically if you've an understaning of the engineering of boats. Both for repairing, & building new structures. Along with experience, & tricks of the trade to go with same.

Much of the work would likely be word of mouth. Both FTF, on radio nets, & perhaps online. And it wouldn't hurt to setup a high visibility project to demo your skills, in ports that are cruiser heavy. For example, building a perfectly clear coated, wood epoxy dinghy. Or building someone a new rudder. Since it would quite obviously be done out in the open, & not every cruiser has the skills to do all of the fabrication steps involved. Or how to choose foil shapes, cores, rudder stocks, etc. & build it's composite internals.

Do you really have the room to carry all of the needed tools onboard an HC 33, along with your cruising gear?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, builder, cruising