Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2022, 19:39   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Cruising and working in Australia

Hi all,

My partner and I are looking at how we might end up structuring things when we get going in about two years.

She’s a nurse, I’m a teacher, so professionally we both have qualifications that work anywhere in Australia and, happily for us, are in great demand. We can work in any state in Oz. (Though I have to register in the state I wish to teach in, something that took 48 hours in Tasmania and nearly two months in South Australia. Note to self, register early.)

I think we need to work for about two or three months per year to maintain a comfortable lifestyle, possibly a little less. We won’t be hanging around marinas and we have a boat that can work pretty well indefinitely at anchor. Our only reason for going to a marina would be for work.

We have been wondering how people structure their working and cruising here in Oz. Do you work for a few months at a time then go cruising for the rest of the year, do you take on shorter contracts and do multiple work stints?

Or maybe something else?

Interested to hear what works for you and why you do it that way.

Matt

Tags
Australia, cruising, work