Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2017, 23:11   #1

Boat: 1984 Pearson 386
Company decided I retired early...now what?

The Admiral and I have 7 years, 10 months, 5 days, until we retire and sail around the world. This timeframe is driven by the fact that we have a blended family with five kids we are raising (four of whom are in high school (twins)). Our plan seemed solid since we do not fit into either the "Kidless under 30" or the "retired with grown kids" groups.

Well, that WAS the plan...then the Admiral had health issues forcing an early semi-retirement and I was laid off by my company a couple weeks ago.

So we bought an amazing boat for a great price and planned to start taking short cruises and building our saltwater skills. Then Irma set us back, but that should be a temporary delay.

We still have kids we are devoted/committed to. We are old enough (two years till we get our AARP cards) to see friends getting ill. We hear the bells beginning to toll and fear not carpe-ing the diem.

So...would you mind sharing your stories about your path to cruising? What choices you made and relish or regret?

Thanks so much!

Fair Winds!
DenverSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 23:19   #2
cruiser

Re: Company decided I retired early...now what?

Get a part time job and cruise up to six months or less per year to get started. Less money worries, less stress, more enjoyment. Begin with long summer cruises with the kids.

We began with three month summer cruising in Southern California eight years ago (kinda boring for cruising, but I enjoyed the velodrome), and now we cruise six months per year in the Mediterranean and work six months of the year in Massachusetts. Full retirement is three years away unless my wife is offered a lucrative early way out ... her choice.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote