Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2018, 09:08   #31

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: City, State Under Boat Name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaddeo View Post
If a vessel is documented, do you still need to register the vessel and pay a registration fee? So I have purchased a documented vessel in NJ, and have redocumented it with my NY address. Do I need to register the vessel in NY pay NY
sales tax and a registration fee? An old-timer has told me that when your vessel is documented, you do not need to register it in your home state. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?

It varies from state to state.

In Minnesota, documented vessels are exempt from the state registration requirement. But then again, Minnesota does not impose large taxes on boats -- usually, the documentation fees are more than what the state would charge for registration.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 09:41   #32

Boat: Lagoon 380 #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
I seem to recall a thread on CF about state of California going after out of state documented boats with CA in their port names under "state" for excise taxes or some such.

I can confirm that this happened to me in CA. It took months to prove the boat was never in CA and I didn't have to pay there excise tax (10% of purchase price).

Be careful where you say your home port is!!!
vyc2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 09:55   #33
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

It is a not unreasonable presumption that if you say "Kansas is my home port" that you intend to be keeping the boat, or primarily using the boat, in Kansas. Or Cali or NJ or wherever you listed it.

And that makes it very cost effective for the tax authorities to simply buy a list of all boats "homed" in their states, and send out letters saying "Based on this, you owe us money. You've got 90 days to prove otherwise." (Or however they want to put it.)

That's how tax courts and tax laws work in every US venue. Guilty, until proven innocent.

And considering the number of number of tax evasion scammers that traditionally have tried to duck out of local taxes and fees this way, it is, again, not unreasonable. I'm sure a prudent boat-seeker could file legal notice in advance, i.e. telling a tax authority "My yet to be purchased boat will be home ported in your state, but it will never be there." and deal with that in advance.

Tax authorities also collect lists of annual marina/mooring contracts, and they'll come after any vessel that is not locally registered, but which has a 90+ day contract to tie up in their waters. The tax men may be slow--but they ain't entirely stupid.

Tax men have even been known to order lunch for "the office" for a week, and count every slice of bread, tomato, pickle, napkin, tin foil or wax paper, in order to establish the ratio of "parts" that a deli actually uses. Then they'll audit the deli's records, and if they find that perhaps the number of pickles purchased doesn't add up? That's proof the deli is paying cash, so they're hiding cash, and out comes the sharp pencil.

Keep that boat moving, keep repainting the hull, hey, tax avoidance is perfectly legal, right?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 05:43   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
...hey, tax avoidance is perfectly legal, right?
Tax avoidance, yes. Tax evasion, not so much.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 05:59   #35

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyc2014 View Post
I can confirm that this happened to me in CA. It took months to prove the boat was never in CA and I didn't have to pay there excise tax (10% of purchase price).
I can confirm this happens in Maine, too.

Even AFTER I'd paid the sales tax to the state, they sent me the "we think you owe sales tax" form letter as soon as they saw my federally-documented boat pop up on the US documented vessel database.

I had to prove TO them, that I'd already paid THEM!

Also, the state is cracking down on marinas and boat yards. They recently passed a law requiring anyone who rents boat slips or charges for storage to provide the state a list of all out-of-state registered or documented vessels. Apparently there's been a problem with people from away keeping their boats in Maine and thinking they didn't owe any sales or excise taxes.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 06:53   #36

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

I've read this entire thread, and it has drifted a bit. But, the drift has been intersting, especially the "where you have to register" bit. I understand (and unfortunately, agree with) the part that says you register/pay takes where you keep it (for 60, 90, etc days).

There is an issue that also applies to cars (where the rule is similar). What about Snow Birds? I know someone who has a house in Florida, and lives there about 6 months a year (maybe not fully 6 months, but clearly the longest of anywhere he keeps the boat -- there are days and weeks in various states on the ICW each way). His car and boat are appropriately registered there. However, he also spends 3+ months a year in Maryland (and he brings his car north and south too). A case could be made (stupid, but perhaps strictly necessary) that he needs to register his boat and car twice a year, once when he arrives in MD and again on return to FL. The boat would be easy -- it isn't actually "registered" in FL, it has a FL "use permit" or some such (the boat is documented). After the first registration in MD (and paying taxes in MD), he'd just keep paying the renewals in both states (unlike registration, which requires a title, a documented boat doesn't have to turn in the other state's use sticker). But the car would require re-titleing twice a year (as would a state-numbered boat).

He's been ignoring this for 20 years or so, and never been caught, but he's technically run afoul of MD taxes.

Anybody have any thoughts on how this "should" be done?
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 10:52   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
City, State Under Boat Name?

I believe if he is a Fl resident, then he has a strong argument that his vessel / vehicle is registered there.
If not, then in my opinion his case is weaker.

The tax law in Ga, says tax is owed where the vessel is kept for 181 days or longer.
Didn’t keep Ga from taxing my old boat, which I had proof was kept in Fl and never in Ga.
Their stance? Bring them my Fl tax bill for the boat showing them that I paid Fl taxes, that was the only acceptable proof.
Of course Fl doesn’t tax boats, so you can’t produce something that doesn’t exist, they didn’t budge.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 11:30   #38

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Why all the effort to avoid state registration? Surely a few hundred dollars a year is not a deal breaker, and if it is, do you have any business buying a boat in the first place? Besides, at least in Florida, if the vessel is 30 years or older registration as an antique is $15 a year.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 11:44   #39

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Why all the effort to avoid state registration? Surely a few hundred dollars a year is not a deal breaker, and if it is, do you have any business buying a boat in the first place? Besides, at least in Florida, if the vessel is 30 years or older registration as an antique is $15 a year.

It's not really the registration. That's $20 or $30 a year, or something like that, in MD. It's the initial tax -- 5% of the value. Indeed, for many folks, it's trivial -- either they have so much money it doesn't matter, or (as it sounds like your case) the boat is so old that it isn't worth much so there isn't much tax. I had an acquaintance that bought a $400K boat, and was in MD over the 90 day limit -- he was looking over his shoulder all the way to Virginia! The good news in his case is the tax in MD is capped at $15,300, so he wasn't looking at the entire $20K that it could have been. The better news is he got out of town before the revenuers realize he had been here that long! But, for most folks, a $15,300 tax bill is worth avoiding, especially when the boat was at (or above) the upper end of the budget.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:30   #40

Actually, despite that the rules and laws allow not to do it I write a lot of information. Even my postal code https://worldpostalcode.com/united-s...a/indianapolis. I lose nothing but maybe it'll be useful or laws of other countries or states need it. And I'm prepared immediately. So decide yourself.
Kir2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:28   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
My boat is USCG Documented. I changed name and hailing port to reflect my preference for both after I bought the boat.
My hailing port is in Hawaii, where I am from. Another consideration for this choice was that not everyone in the world connects Hawaii with the USA.
I am a proud and patriotic veteran. But do not want to attract unwanted attention in some places in the world where the US may not necessarily be their favorite country.
My beloved Stars and Stripes finds a safe berth in my flag locker while I Fly my Hawaiian Flag, of which I am equally proud.
Maka, for USCG documented vessels the requirement for display of the designated hailing port is #1, the place [as listed in publication 55DC] and #2, the state, territory or possession. There is no requirements to add "of the The United States of America". You are from the great state of Hawaii, so that is where you hail from [proudly]. Yanks, [defined as a person who lives in or is from the United States, I being of the Montanan pedigree for almost three decades, albeit non-native of this great state], commonly miss use the term American. An American is someone from the America's which is what is known as the western hemisphere, [taken from the European perspective] inclusive of the southern and northern portions.

There being two general but distinct perspectives of the USA.

- The United States of America are . . .
and
- The United States of America is . . .

The first being the more appropriate and historically correct, presently composed of 50 states, and numerous territories and possessions thereto.

As to flag "etiquette and tradition", one can inspire a wonderful debate as to which flag you chose to use as an ensign. Perhaps, a subject for yet another post, there already being many, MANY such. The entomology of the word ensign being Middle English ensigne, sign, token, banner, from Anglo-French enseigne, from Latin insignia insignia, flags.

While not an enrolled member of any of any of the tribes [being less than the present minimum of one-quarter blood quantum requirement]; I am privileged to live within the boundary of the reservation of the Confederated Salish and of the Kootenai, tribes, a.k.a. the Flathead Nation where one will commonly see three flags flown. The 50 star spangled banner, the flag of Montana and the flag of the Flathead Nation. The generally agreed upon etiquette being that the star spangled banner takes priority in positioning, then it is of debate as to if how the dependent sovereign tribal nation flag or the sovereign state flag are displayed. And since we are located near the [yet non-walled] Canadian border, the Maple Leaf flag is well represented in larger or more formal displays as an ensign of welcome and respect to our fine neighbors.

Aloha Maka; Hawaii's ensign is rather unique compared to the ensigns of other states, territories or possessions of the USA. The current official flag of the U.S. state of Hawaii had also previously been used by the kingdom, protectorate, republic, and territory of Hawaii. The flag includes the flag of a foreign country, the Union Jack of the United Kingdom, a remnant of the British Empire's influence on Hawaiian history. Hawaii was once an independent kingdom. (1810 - 1893) The flag was designed at the request of King Kamehameha I. It has eight stripes of white, red and blue that represent the eight main islands. The flag of Great Britain is emblazoned in the upper left corner to honor Hawaii's friendship with the British. Your choice to fly the Hawaiian ensign, especially when in distant waters [i.e., away from the wonderful archipelago] likely causes much interest by non-Hawaiians as the inclusion of the Union Jack in the up left corner would imply to most that you're from a Commonwealth country. I suspect that not one in a hundred persons from outside of Hawaii would recognize your state's fine ensign.

Whereas the civil and state ensign of Montana and also of the Flathead Nation ensigns readily indicate the place of sovereignty. No confusion, one just needs to read it, assuming one knows the Latin alphabet. The formal flag of the Flathead Nation is double sided so as to avoid difficulty in reading the words in reverse depending on the side one is viewing, the common flag is one sided with its inherent disadvantages. I suspect a formal flag of the state of Montana would also be double sided. The pictured Montana flag below is an informal [i.e., common version] flag as it does not have golden fringing on the top and bottom edges which inclusion of fringe would be the official version.

Whatever ensign you chose, long may it wave in a breeze.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1164-004-0CD31DB5.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	181888   Click image for larger version

Name:	383px-Flag_of_Montana.svg.png
Views:	56
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	181897  

Name:	xa-flathd.gif
Views:	73
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	181898  
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:56   #42

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Maka, for USCG documented vessels the requirement for display of the designated hailing port is #1, the place [as listed in publication 55DC] and #2, the state, territory or possession. There is no requirements to add "of the The United States of America". You are from the great state of Hawaii, so that is where you hail from [proudly]. Yanks, [defined as a person who lives in or is from the United States, I being of the Montanan pedigree for almost three decades, albeit non-native of this great state], commonly miss use the term American. An American is someone from the America's which is what is known as the western hemisphere, [taken from the European perspective] inclusive of the southern and northern portions.

There being two general but distinct perspectives of the USA.

- The United States of America are . . .
and
- The United States of America is . . .

The first being the more appropriate and historically correct, presently composed of 50 states, and numerous territories and possessions thereto.

As to flag "etiquette and tradition", one can inspire a wonderful debate as to which flag you chose to use as an ensign. Perhaps, a subject for yet another post, there already being many, MANY such. The entomology of the word ensign being Middle English ensigne, sign, token, banner, from Anglo-French enseigne, from Latin insignia insignia, flags.

While not an enrolled member of any of any of the tribes [being less than the present minimum of one-quarter blood quantum requirement]; I am privileged to live within the boundary of the reservation of the Confederated Salish and of the Kootenai, tribes, a.k.a. the Flathead Nation where one will commonly see three flags flown. The 50 star spangled banner, the flag of Montana and the flag of the Flathead Nation. The generally agreed upon etiquette being that the star spangled banner takes priority in positioning, then it is of debate as to if how the dependent sovereign tribal nation flag or the sovereign state flag are displayed. And since we are located near the [yet non-walled] Canadian border, the Maple Leaf flag is well represented in larger or more formal displays as an ensign of welcome and respect to our fine neighbors.

Aloha Maka; Hawaii's ensign is rather unique compared to the ensigns of other states, territories or possessions of the USA. The current official flag of the U.S. state of Hawaii had also previously been used by the kingdom, protectorate, republic, and territory of Hawaii. The flag includes the flag of a foreign country, the Union Jack of the United Kingdom, a remnant of the British Empire's influence on Hawaiian history. Hawaii was once an independent kingdom. (1810 - 1893) The flag was designed at the request of King Kamehameha I. It has eight stripes of white, red and blue that represent the eight main islands. The flag of Great Britain is emblazoned in the upper left corner to honor Hawaii's friendship with the British. Your choice to fly the Hawaiian ensign, especially when in distant waters [i.e., away from the wonderful archipelago] likely causes much interest by non-Hawaiians as the inclusion of the Union Jack in the up left corner would imply to most that you're from a Commonwealth country. I suspect that not one in a hundred persons from outside of Hawaii would recognize your state's fine ensign.

Whereas the civil and state ensign of Montana and also of the Flathead Nation ensigns readily indicate the place of sovereignty. No confusion, one just needs to read it, assuming one knows the Latin alphabet. The formal flag of the Flathead Nation is double sided so as to avoid difficulty in reading the words in reverse depending on the side one is viewing, the common flag is one sided with its inherent disadvantages. I suspect a formal flag of the state of Montana would also be double sided. The pictured Montana flag below is an informal [i.e., common version] flag as it does not have golden fringing on the top and bottom edges which inclusion of fringe would be the official version.

Whatever ensign you chose, long may it wave in a breeze.

Montanan

"the Flathead Nation where one will commonly see three flags flown. The 50 star spangled banner, the flag of Montana and the flag of the Flathead Nation. The generally agreed upon etiquette being that the star spangled banner takes priority in positioning, then it is of debate as to if how the dependent sovereign tribal nation flag or the sovereign state flag are displayed."

Im surprised that the US Flag takes precedent over the Sovereign Nation Flag of the Flathead Nation on Flathead Nation land.

Who ever we are in what ever land it is a good thing to be patriotic and fly our appropriate Colors.

Thank you too for all the excellent historical info in your post.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 13:55   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Montanan

"the Flathead Nation where one will commonly see three flags flown. The 50 star spangled banner, the flag of Montana and the flag of the Flathead Nation. The generally agreed upon etiquette being that the star spangled banner takes priority in positioning, then it is of debate as to if how the dependent sovereign tribal nation flag or the sovereign state flag are displayed."

Im surprised that the US Flag takes precedent over the Sovereign Nation Flag of the Flathead Nation on Flathead Nation land.

Who ever we are in what ever land it is a good thing to be patriotic and fly our appropriate Colors.

Thank you too for all the excellent historical info in your post.
The S & K are proud and patriotic of our country and of theirs. These tribes never entered into war against the invading non-native Americans, and entered into a treaty in 1855.

There are three flag poles of equal height in front of the tribes new headquarters in Pablo. If I recall the center pole flies the flag of the USA, the pole on the left when facing the entrance has the Flathead Nation flag and the right pole has either the Montana flag or I have seen a Canadian flag.

By way of example, an inspiration to the Native warriors, there is Louie Charlo, who was the great grandson of Chief Charlot, (aka Charlo, Claw of the Little Grizzly) the head chief of the Bitterroot Salish from 1870-1910 and of the lineage of Chief Three Eagles, who met Lewis and Clark in the Bitterroot Valley in September of 1805. Louie was a decorated Marine in the WWII battle of Iwo Jima and was one of the members of the original patrol [of which no US troops were killed] that first summited Mt. Suribachi and then returned to the summit with a larger group of about 40 Marines which group found a 20-foot length of pipe and secured a small U.S. flag from the USS Missoula to it. Missoula being the primary city in western Montana, located in the Bitterroot valley just south of the Flathead reservation. Reference image below of the first flag raising taken about 10:00 AM, February 23, 1945. Staff Sgt Louis Lowery had the only camera during that first raising of the flag, but was putting in more film when it went up. The photograph taken after the first flag was raised shows six men gathered around it: Sgt Henry O Hansen, PFC Louis C Charlo, Platoon Sgt Earnest I Thomas Jr, 1st Lt Harold G Schrier, Cpl Charles W Lindberg and PFC James R Michels. And those were the men who were originally named as raising it. Two of the men - PFCs James Michel (front, with rifle) and Louis Charlo (third hand down on flag pole) were originally wrongly identified as raising it - Marine Corps now says they were present, but didn't raise it. In fact, the Marines now say, Pharmacist Mate 2nd Class John H Bradley and Pvt Philip L Ward were part of the first flag-raising group. Bradley had already been confirmed as one of the men who raised the first flag, after he was removed from the record of the second, iconic flag-raising.

The first flag was comparatively small, just 54 inches by 28 inches. Which smaller flag was later replaced by a larger and more impressive flag; which second flag raising was depicted in Joe Rosenthal's famous photo which is represented by the statute at the Marine Corp memorial at Arlington cemetery. The second flag raising was ordered after the first flag was taken down for a war trophy shortly after it was hoisted.

A larger flag - which became the subject of the famous photo - was erected in its place around two hours afterward. The first flag-raising was photographed by Marine photographer Sgt. Louis R. Lowery. Raymond Jacobs was the radioman on that mission.

In 2004, nearly 60 years after the war, Jacobs told the website World War II Stories—In Their Own Words, “Moments after the flag was raised we heard a roar from down below on the island. Marines on the ground, still engaged in combat, raised a spontaneous yell when they saw the flag. Screaming and cheering so loud and prolonged that we could hear it quite clearly on top of Suribachi. The boats on the beach and the ships at sea joined in blowing horns and whistles. It was a highly emotional, strongly patriotic moment for all of us.”

Sgt. Louis Lowery, a photographer for the Marines’ Leatherneck magazine, was taking photos when enemy soldiers started emerging from caves, shooting and throwing grenades. Ray Coll Jr., a Marine who arrived at Iwo Jima on the battleship USS Tennessee, was to write, “Charlie, the Indian, and his companion coolly picked them off.” No U.S. troops were killed. Lowery’s camera was destroyed but the film that he shot was saved. When the battle subsided a Catholic chaplain arrived, set up a portable altar and celebrated Mass at the summit. One photo shows Charlo kneeling in prayer, the date was February 23, 1945.

The second picture depicts the Marines carrying the flag from the USS Missoula up Mt. Suribachi which was the flag first raised upon the summit of Mt. Suribachi.

On Staff Sgt. Lowery’s way down Mt. Suribachi, he ran into AP photographer Joe Rosenthal and two other Marine photographers, PFC Bob Campbell and PFC Bill Genaust, who was shooting movies, informing them that the flag-raising they were looking for had already occurred, but encouraging them to check out the view from the top of the hill. The three men continued up the volcano.

Once atop Mt. Suribachi, Rosenthal attempted but was unable to find the soldiers involved in the first flag-raising, deciding instead to photograph the second flag-raising, which featured a much bigger and more photogenic Stars and Stripes. Lowery’s film was sent back to military headquarters for processing via ordinary army post–and took a month to arrive. Rosenthal’s film was sent by seaplane to Guam, and sent from there via radio-photo to the United States. The photograph so impressed President Roosevelt that he ordered the men pictured in it to return home for a publicity tour. Rosenthal later won a Pulitzer Prize for the photo. The second flag-raising, which took place later that same day, was simply to replace the first flag with a larger one. At the time, it wasn’t treated as a momentous occasion, or much of an occasion at all—in Flags of Our Fathers, Bradley writes that “no one else on the summit paid much attention to what was going on.”

In the last letter Charlo wrote to his parents, sometime during that following week, he wrote, “I was part of the fracas atop Suribachi.” Sadly, Louis Charlo died less than a week later, killed as he was attempting to rescue Private Ed McLaughlin, a wounded buddy stranded in an area of the Iwo Jima battlefield known as the Meat Grinder. Charlo was carrying McLaughlin on his back and both were killed just a few feet from safety, according to Ray Whelan, Charlo’s platoon leader. Charlo was awarded the Bronze Star posthumously for his heroics and which was upgraded much later to a Silver Star. Senator Mike Mansfield, then Montana's U.S. Representative to Congress, [subsequently to become the longest ever serving Senate majority leader, 1961 - 1977] traveled to Iwo Jima in 1948 and escorted Charlo's body back to the reservation. Louis would have been the hereditary chief had he not died at such a young age.

During World War II, a 422-foot (129 m) Liberty Ship, the SS Chief Charlot, hull 2111, had its keel laid on September 19, 1943 and was launched in less than a month on October 13th, 1943, which wartime ship was one of five honoring native chieftains and was built in Richmond, California.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	https_%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	181921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marines carrying the first flag Iwo Jima.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	181922  

Name:	378F72ED00000578-0-image-a-11_1472094059516.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	181923  
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 19:10   #44

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
The S & K are proud and patriotic of our country and of theirs. These tribes never entered into war against the invading non-native Americans, and entered into a treaty in 1855.

There are three flag poles of equal height in front of the tribes new headquarters in Pablo. If I recall the center pole flies the flag of the USA, the pole on the left when facing the entrance has the Flathead Nation flag and the right pole has either the Montana flag or I have seen a Canadian flag.

By way of example, an inspiration to the Native warriors, there is Louie Charlo, who was the great grandson of Chief Charlot, (aka Charlo, Claw of the Little Grizzly) the head chief of the Bitterroot Salish from 1870-1910 and of the lineage of Chief Three Eagles, who met Lewis and Clark in the Bitterroot Valley in September of 1805. Louie was a decorated Marine in the WWII battle of Iwo Jima and was one of the members of the original patrol [of which no US troops were killed] that first summited Mt. Suribachi and then returned to the summit with a larger group of about 40 Marines which group found a 20-foot length of pipe and secured a small U.S. flag from the USS Missoula to it. Missoula being the primary city in western Montana, located in the Bitterroot valley just south of the Flathead reservation. Reference image below of the first flag raising taken about 10:00 AM, February 23, 1945. Staff Sgt Louis Lowery had the only camera during that first raising of the flag, but was putting in more film when it went up. The photograph taken after the first flag was raised shows six men gathered around it: Sgt Henry O Hansen, PFC Louis C Charlo, Platoon Sgt Earnest I Thomas Jr, 1st Lt Harold G Schrier, Cpl Charles W Lindberg and PFC James R Michels. And those were the men who were originally named as raising it. Two of the men - PFCs James Michel (front, with rifle) and Louis Charlo (third hand down on flag pole) were originally wrongly identified as raising it - Marine Corps now says they were present, but didn't raise it. In fact, the Marines now say, Pharmacist Mate 2nd Class John H Bradley and Pvt Philip L Ward were part of the first flag-raising group. Bradley had already been confirmed as one of the men who raised the first flag, after he was removed from the record of the second, iconic flag-raising.

The first flag was comparatively small, just 54 inches by 28 inches. Which smaller flag was later replaced by a larger and more impressive flag; which second flag raising was depicted in Joe Rosenthal's famous photo which is represented by the statute at the Marine Corp memorial at Arlington cemetery. The second flag raising was ordered after the first flag was taken down for a war trophy shortly after it was hoisted.

A larger flag - which became the subject of the famous photo - was erected in its place around two hours afterward. The first flag-raising was photographed by Marine photographer Sgt. Louis R. Lowery. Raymond Jacobs was the radioman on that mission.

In 2004, nearly 60 years after the war, Jacobs told the website World War II Stories—In Their Own Words, “Moments after the flag was raised we heard a roar from down below on the island. Marines on the ground, still engaged in combat, raised a spontaneous yell when they saw the flag. Screaming and cheering so loud and prolonged that we could hear it quite clearly on top of Suribachi. The boats on the beach and the ships at sea joined in blowing horns and whistles. It was a highly emotional, strongly patriotic moment for all of us.”

Sgt. Louis Lowery, a photographer for the Marines’ Leatherneck magazine, was taking photos when enemy soldiers started emerging from caves, shooting and throwing grenades. Ray Coll Jr., a Marine who arrived at Iwo Jima on the battleship USS Tennessee, was to write, “Charlie, the Indian, and his companion coolly picked them off.” No U.S. troops were killed. Lowery’s camera was destroyed but the film that he shot was saved. When the battle subsided a Catholic chaplain arrived, set up a portable altar and celebrated Mass at the summit. One photo shows Charlo kneeling in prayer, the date was February 23, 1945.

The second picture depicts the Marines carrying the flag from the USS Missoula up Mt. Suribachi which was the flag first raised upon the summit of Mt. Suribachi.

On Staff Sgt. Lowery’s way down Mt. Suribachi, he ran into AP photographer Joe Rosenthal and two other Marine photographers, PFC Bob Campbell and PFC Bill Genaust, who was shooting movies, informing them that the flag-raising they were looking for had already occurred, but encouraging them to check out the view from the top of the hill. The three men continued up the volcano.

Once atop Mt. Suribachi, Rosenthal attempted but was unable to find the soldiers involved in the first flag-raising, deciding instead to photograph the second flag-raising, which featured a much bigger and more photogenic Stars and Stripes. Lowery’s film was sent back to military headquarters for processing via ordinary army post–and took a month to arrive. Rosenthal’s film was sent by seaplane to Guam, and sent from there via radio-photo to the United States. The photograph so impressed President Roosevelt that he ordered the men pictured in it to return home for a publicity tour. Rosenthal later won a Pulitzer Prize for the photo. The second flag-raising, which took place later that same day, was simply to replace the first flag with a larger one. At the time, it wasn’t treated as a momentous occasion, or much of an occasion at all—in Flags of Our Fathers, Bradley writes that “no one else on the summit paid much attention to what was going on.”

In the last letter Charlo wrote to his parents, sometime during that following week, he wrote, “I was part of the fracas atop Suribachi.” Sadly, Louis Charlo died less than a week later, killed as he was attempting to rescue Private Ed McLaughlin, a wounded buddy stranded in an area of the Iwo Jima battlefield known as the Meat Grinder. Charlo was carrying McLaughlin on his back and both were killed just a few feet from safety, according to Ray Whelan, Charlo’s platoon leader. Charlo was awarded the Bronze Star posthumously for his heroics and which was upgraded much later to a Silver Star. Senator Mike Mansfield, then Montana's U.S. Representative to Congress, [subsequently to become the longest ever serving Senate majority leader, 1961 - 1977] traveled to Iwo Jima in 1948 and escorted Charlo's body back to the reservation. Louis would have been the hereditary chief had he not died at such a young age.

During World War II, a 422-foot (129 m) Liberty Ship, the SS Chief Charlot, hull 2111, had its keel laid on September 19, 1943 and was launched in less than a month on October 13th, 1943, which wartime ship was one of five honoring native chieftains and was built in Richmond, California.

Momtanan

Holy Moly.

Where do you come up with all this detailed information ?

Fascinating and most informative.

Know anything about Amelia Earheart?
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat