Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 19:28   #1

Boat: Hardin 45 - Kindred Spirit
chartering foreign boat in US?

Hi,
I remember hearing somewhere or reading that you can only put boats into charter in the US if the boat was built in the US. I've searched online and throughout this forum, but haven't been able to find any details on this. Can someone please provide some details on this and where this rule/law is documented? I know that there are some folks out there chartering boats that are not US built, so I am wondering what the rules/loopholes may be as well.

Thanks in advance!
almost_there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:54   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
You might be thinking of the Jones Act, which among other things restricts transport of goods or passengers between ports within the U.S. to U.S. built and flagged vessels. I don't think it applies to yacht charters. Merchant Marine Act of 1920 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-08-2008, 23:03   #3

Thanks, Hud. This may be what I heard about...it is certainly a great link! For some reason, I thought that there was a restriction to charter boats as well. That is why for most bareboats charters in the US, you have the choice of Hunter, Catalina, and Beneteaus. Seems that when we first started searching for a boat and were asking questions about Bavarias, someone told us we'd never be able to put it into charter in US waters....could have been that this was just some bad information...
Old 09-08-2008, 20:22   #4

Boat: Leopard 45, 45 feet, Jet Stream
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Schaaf
Actually, the Jones Act does pertain to charterboats. However, it is possible to get an exemption. This used to require an Act of Congress(!), but is now an administrative procedure that can be done on the web. I don't remember the exact site, but think it is something under the DOT (department of Transport), and it is usually referred to as a "Jones Act Exemption". If I recall correctly, it takes about two months and costs $300, or at least it did three years ago.
Tim Schaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 21:24   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
....can carry no more than 12 ....be greater than 5 net tons....and vessel must be over 3 years old.....you can file a request online $300.00 takes 45+ days
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 22:12   #6

wow...great info! thanks! i will check out the DOT website and see what I can find! i will keep you all posted!