Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 09:03   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Charter Operator Links ?

Greetings:

Although this is not an original idea, I know, we want to buy a boat and then charter it ourselves (we being the operators).

I am having trouble finding links or particularly forums where others who are operating their boat for charter may exchange ideas.

Can anyone help? Particularly I am looking for forums that discuss issues specific to charter operations - marketing, client issues, cost vs. income etc.

Any assistance is very much appreciated.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:11   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:21   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boatman... I am sure this is great humor, but not the informational links I was looking for. Perhaps you answered the wrong forum posting?
Old 04-11-2010, 13:45   #4

Uh... I think that was meant as a joke.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 14:13   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

denver, I took it as a sort of a joke. Guess I am frustrated trying to find the links I am looking for, so I really was hoping for a serious response.

Not a good humor day today I guess.
Old 04-11-2010, 23:05   #6

Boat: Vagabond 42
Maybe this will help: Charter and Commercial Boats
Old 04-11-2010, 23:09   #7

Boat: Vagabond 42
Here is another that might direct you to someone more directly associated with what you need to know. What is required for a legal Charter Boat Operation? - Boat Brevard.com
Old 05-11-2010, 00:18   #8

Boat: Traditional 30
The best way to make a million dollars in the charter business is to start with two million dollars.

Having said my negatives. Try chartering in your own area and see whats missing and then work out why. There may be no budget vessels or too many budget boats. Or vice versa with expensive boats. Then ask "why is the market like this"

The main thing I have seen with charter fleets is that they usually comprise of a little of both. The boats are then available for Corporate/tourist day sails, Bareboat charter and sail training. The blend of options maximising your potential client base.

Sail training is great. You teach a couple how to sail, then charter vessel to them once they have learnt. Some schools I have worked with have reciprical deals with other schools in tourist areas. Creating a "learn here- sail there" scenario. You then become and agent for the other charter co and vice versa.

The thing you have to remember is that the boat becomes a "working vessel". You will need to be on the water as often as possible , including rainy winter days and weekends of course.

People wont treat it the way you would want to treat it. Deck Jewellery (pretty females living on "his" money) will show up full of rings/necklaces and sometime high heals. And wont understand why they cant have a champagne while youre busy trying to hoist the main. Dont expect much help from that type. They may break a nail and the world will end. Ahh, the joys of charter.

On the other hand, just about all adult students I have met have been fantastic, eager, keen, motivated and so on. They are excellent when you need that extra hand to do a delivery.

No doubt you will need all the relevant Licences/Insurance etc from your local state/country/association. If you have a Boating Industry Association, or similar, in your region they may be able to help.

I have worked for a charter company/school plus I ran my own school for a few years using a 24ft trailerable. To be honest it spoiled sailing a little bit for me, as it was no longer that one thing I had to get away from the stress of work, as it was the work. Having said that. It certainly beats a real job.

Good Luck with it
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:29   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
NACO - The National Association of Charter Boat Operators
NACO The National Association of Charter Boat Operators

NMCA - National Marine Charter Association
National Marine Charter Association - Home

CBOOA - Charter Boat Owners & Operators Association
CBOOA: Home

Or Google < charter boat operators association > for many more regional associations.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:31   #10

Boat: Downeast 38
"Hard Road to Travel" - Priceless! Thanks for the chuckle this morning.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:50   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
The best way to make a million dollars in the charter business is to start with two million dollars.
Ha... sounds like farming!!

Quote:
Having said my negatives. Try chartering in ...

...Sail training is great. You teach a couple how to sail, then charter vessel to them once they have learnt. Some schools I have worked with have reciprical deals with other schools in tourist areas. Creating a "learn here- sail there" scenario. You then become and agent for the other charter co and vice versa.
Great thoughts in there. We are not intending day sails, as that market is pretty well served in Antigua.

Quote:
The thing you have to remember is that the boat becomes a "working vessel". You will need to be on the water as often as possible , including rainy winter days and weekends of course.

People wont treat it the way you would want to treat it. Deck Jewellery (pretty females living on "his" money) will show up full of rings/necklaces and sometime high heals. And wont understand why they cant have a champagne while youre busy trying to hoist the main. Dont expect much help from that type. They may break a nail and the world will end. Ahh, the joys of charter.
Having been exposed to a different, but at times similar situation (guiding hunters who often are out of shape, opinionated, and demanding) I think I understand some of the challenges keeping a smile on one's face, and also when to put a foot down if a situation could jeopardize safety. Some clients are just a joy to work with, others you wish had never come.

I'm pretty good at setting rules and expectations, and seem to have a sense of humor that most get what I mean.

Quote:
No doubt you will need all the relevant Licences/Insurance etc from your local state/country/association. If you have a Boating Industry Association, or similar, in your region they may be able to help.
Yes, I expect that am obtaining the information now.

Good Luck with it
Oz[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your comments; this is the constructive feed back I hope to get more of.

Quote:
NACO - The National Association of Charter Boat Operators
➥ NACO The National Association of Charter Boat Operators

NMCA - National Marine Charter Association
➥ National Marine Charter Association - Home

CBOOA - Charter Boat Owners & Operators Association
➥ CBOOA: Home

Or Google < charter boat operators association > for many more regional associations.
Thanks for the links... now why didn't I think of < charter boat operators association >!! These are a good starting point.
Old 05-12-2010, 13:18   #12
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Hi there. That's what I do/did. Would be glad to answer any specific questions based on my personal experiences (which, of course, may be very different from others') either on here, through PMs or direct emails.
A couple of questions for you, however: What kind/size boat are you considering, and where do you want to/plan to operate (and how familiar are you with your intended area of operation ... really)?
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote