Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2012, 16:15   #46

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Well here goes my opinion. If you a you'll this question then no you can't. All you need bus confidence and time to learn to sail and by asking this question you lack confidence.

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:56   #47

Boat: Still saving up for the next one!
Re: Can I learn on a 40' boat?

Hey there,

Yes, go for your long-term dream yacht or you will waste precious time and money buying, repairing and then selling smaller boats.

Lots of excellent advice already about learning to sail, which I am sure you will follow, so no need for my two cents.

The doom and gloom folk that talk about being attacked by pirates, tsunamis and getting eaten alive by sharks will probably die before you of a heart attack in their armchairs.

Happy sailing!!!
Freddy_Vagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:27   #48
Armchair Bucketeer

I just had a re-read of this thread - thought it was pretty supportive overall........

.......just have to bear in mind that if folks only want the feeling of warm smoke blowing up the jacksy that the internet likely not the best place for that.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:26   #49
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
Well here goes my opinion. If you a you'll this question then no you can't. All you need bus confidence and time to learn to sail and by asking this question you lack confidence.
This doesn't make sense and not just because it is barely intelligible but in that asking questions is not a sign of weakness. If anything, it is a sign of strength and of intelligence.
Like I said before, yes you can. And if it turns out, after you tried, that you couldn't, oh well. You had a new experience. Life is an adventure, go for it!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:27   #50

Boat: Block Island 40

I had only been sailing three times in my entire life before I bought my BI40 in Rhode Island, bought some books on sailing, and then sailed her to Galveston, TX. I took 7 months getting here (Single-handed). Spent about 50% of the tie on the inside (Chesapeake Bay) and 50% on the outside (Atlantic) until I reached the Keys. Then on the outside (Gulf of Mexico) until I reached New Orleans. Then back inside.

The learning curve was steep but I found that if you prepare your boat and your mind right, it's an awesome experence you'll never forget and you'll learn much faster than you would sailing a 22 footer around a bay for 5 years.

When I left Rhode Island headed for Long Island I was going so slow that jelly-fish were passing me up. By the Time I reached Key Largo, I was enjoying my races with the Dolphins. I left Rhode Island on September 16 of last year. Screwed of in the keys and a few other choice spots for a while, spoke with sailors along the way, got tips, and good info, and eventually made it to Galveston, TX in May of this year.

I have now fitted the boat for a circumnavigation and I'm leaving in 9 days (depending on weather).

It was a big challenge and had it's ups and downs but overall it wasn't near as bad as all of the "seasoned" sailors made it out to be.

A bit of advice:
The first time you dock that thing you're going to feel like you're docking an aircraft carrier. Make sure the wind and currents are pretty calm the first few times you try it. Trust me on that one.

Make sure you have PLENTY of sea-room when you first start trying to get the hang of it.
Follow these three rules:

1. keep people inside the boat.
2. keep water outside the boat.
3. Keep the boat off the land.

It may sound odd but I found it more cumfortable to be offshore about 10 miles or more rather than in canals and bays. You have more time to figure things out before you have a chance to run into something you're not supposed to. It also gives you a chance to get used to your boat without constantly looking up and saying "oh-sh*t" every 5 minutes. Not much to hit out there in the deep blue compared to the ICW.

Hope this helps.

Follow your dreams. The meaning of life is to live it. Don't let others discourage you. Only you know your strength.
Old 04-11-2012, 21:29   #51

Boat: 45ft Ketch

flink! Thats the process I'm following. Learning on my own 45 f'ter. Probably moving slower than you but I can't think of a better way to learn than having friendly and competent international cruisers coming on board to with help and advice as I get to know my b.o.a.t.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 22:17   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by flink
I had only been sailing three times in my entire life before I bought my BI40 in Rhode Island, bought some books on sailing, and then sailed her to Galveston, TX. I took 7 months getting here (Single-handed). Spent about 50% of the tie on the inside (Chesapeake Bay) and 50% on the outside (Atlantic) until I reached the Keys. Then on the outside (Gulf of Mexico) until I reached New Orleans. Then back inside.

The learning curve was steep but I found that if you prepare your boat and your mind right, it's an awesome experence you'll never forget and you'll learn much faster than you would sailing a 22 footer around a bay for 5 years.

When I left Rhode Island headed for Long Island I was going so slow that jelly-fish were passing me up. By the Time I reached Key Largo, I was enjoying my races with the Dolphins. I left Rhode Island on September 16 of last year. Screwed of in the keys and a few other choice spots for a while, spoke with sailors along the way, got tips, and good info, and eventually made it to Galveston, TX in May of this year.

I have now fitted the boat for a circumnavigation and I'm leaving in 9 days (depending on weather).

It was a big challenge and had it's ups and downs but overall it wasn't near as bad as all of the "seasoned" sailors made it out to be.

A bit of advice:
The first time you dock that thing you're going to feel like you're docking an aircraft carrier. Make sure the wind and currents are pretty calm the first few times you try it. Trust me on that one.

Make sure you have PLENTY of sea-room when you first start trying to get the hang of it.
Follow these three rules:

1. keep people inside the boat.
2. keep water outside the boat.
3. Keep the boat off the land.

It may sound odd but I found it more cumfortable to be offshore about 10 miles or more rather than in canals and bays. You have more time to figure things out before you have a chance to run into something you're not supposed to. It also gives you a chance to get used to your boat without constantly looking up and saying "oh-sh*t" every 5 minutes. Not much to hit out there in the deep blue compared to the ICW.

Hope this helps.

Follow your dreams. The meaning of life is to live it. Don't let others discourage you. Only you know your strength.
Excellent story. congratulations and it sounds like you are doing great.

good luck on the circumnavigation and make sure you've build some adverse conditions sailing experience.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 00:42   #53

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Well flink, you chose to run the steep side of the learning curve. Gald you made it. Might be tough for some others.

Good luck on the circumnavigation - check in every now and then and let us know how it is going.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:41   #54
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Well flink, you chose to run the steep side of the learning curve. Gald you made it. Might be tough for some others.

Good luck on the circumnavigation - check in every now and then and let us know how it is going.

He did take the steep side of the learning curve. I'm not going to tell anyone not to do that. I had nay-sayers telling me I shouldn't buy my first boat, which at 25' by 8' was extremely easy to sail, and later I had naysayers telling me both that I shouldn't get a bigger one (31') and that I shouldn't move aboard.

I think if I had started out with a 40' boat a good call *for me* would have been to hire someone cheerful and supportive to teach me the basics of handling the boat, especially anchoring and docking (you have to do one or the other and they're both tricky at the beginning). In other words, I would hedge my bets a little -- but it worked for him, so good for him. His is the kind of soul that went across the Atlantic before 1500.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:59   #55

I grew up on Hilton Head Island and have been around boats my entire life, but I never sailed a boat until I was in my late 20's. After that, it was all clear to me that I needed to be on a sailboat. I bought a 79 Morgan 37ft sloop. That is what I learned on, and I can't imagine learning on a smaller boat. My thoughts are to learn on a boat that is comprable to the boat you wish to own. I actually wish I had gone a little bigger.
praetorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 13:15   #56

Boat: Pan Oceanic 46

I will be following in flink's footsteps soon myself. I am closing the sale on a 46 footer in Alaska and will be making a hell of a long delivery / shake down cruise / learning trip on the way to the Florida panhandle.

Like flink only three times sailing, but I have a lifetime of boating experience. I spent a ton of time on power boats with my father when he was a commercial fisherman so I have the respect for and confidence on the sea that will carry me through. I have been building up to this from the first time I set foot on a sailboat seven years ago. Hopefully my experience goes as well as I expect; if I ever get around to documenting the fit out, provisioning, and passage I will share it with you all.
Ashevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 06:26   #57

I must say you all have inspired me. I have joined this site just awhile ago but you have put the fire in me. I have always loved sailing and have been on a boat more than a few times. Never owned one though but I am starting to look. My ideal range for me is 32 to 38 feet. I am looking at Hunters and Catalinas. My choice of brand from the research I have been doing. I want to coastal cruise and plan on going between Martha's Vineyard and the Keys. Taking an ASA101 and ASA103 class for the knowledge. I plan on getting my boat in the spring 2014. I will be on here quite a bit doing some reading. Thanks again for the push!!
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 06:41   #58
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Can I learn on a 40' boat?

A lot of naval captains around today gained their initial hands on training in boats that size as Cadets..
Crew unhurt as Navy frigate runs aground off Chile coast - UK - News - The Independent

http://gcaptain.com/forum/marine-inc...ippines-4.html

BBC News - Italy cruise ship Costa Concordia aground near Giglio

As you can see... don't matter what you learn on... if your an idiot who blames everything else..

Biggest 2 assets... Common Sense and Survival Instincts..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 07:13   #59

Thanks Boatman!!
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 15:54   #60

Boat: Island Packet 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderchild View Post
I must say you all have inspired me. I have joined this site just awhile ago but you have put the fire in me. I have always loved sailing and have been on a boat more than a few times. Never owned one though but I am starting to look. My ideal range for me is 32 to 38 feet. I am looking at Hunters and Catalinas. My choice of brand from the research I have been doing. I want to coastal cruise and plan on going between Martha's Vineyard and the Keys. Taking an ASA101 and ASA103 class for the knowledge. I plan on getting my boat in the spring 2014. I will be on here quite a bit doing some reading. Thanks again for the push!!
Our taste in boat changed considerably from our first month of sailing (asa 101-104) and 14 months of Sailtime Tampa (Hunter 30). By the way a great program.

What I am saying is ease into expenses....experience bring knowledge that can help in decisions.

Good luck all.
Hotel L is offline   Reply With Quote