Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2019, 01:25   #1

Buying unseen

Hi. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong category.
I'm buying a relatively cheap yacht sight unseen. It will be delivered from one end of Australia to the other. I'm not worried about the condition of it I am however insanely paranoid that because it's the internet they are going to take my money and give me no boat.
So far I am talking with the owner and her broker who is from "yatchstay" apparently. When checking the company website they are a charter company it seems. Theye sent me the owners photo ID which checks out when searched Australian registration papers that check out when searched. And an American insurance policy from tri state insurance which I will be checking out in a few hours when they open. They have also sent me a bill of sale to be signed with a 10% deposit and the rest paid via bank transfer within 7 days This concerns me as I have no recourse if they don't deliver the boat which is not due for delivery until march. Ive also received extra photos some screenshots some actual taken photos.
They quoted me only $2700 for transport of a boat over 40 foot. When I called the company they are planning on using(well known) the guy on the other end confirmed that someone did make a request for a quote on that boat earlier and that it would absolutely cost more than 2700. The owner then said she would foot the difference.
I'm not sure if I am being overly paranoid or if this is not normal. The people I've asked so far think I'm being paranoid l so I'd really like some extra opinions.
Again this is just about the likelihood of me not receiving a boat at all not the seaworthiness/quality of said boat.
Also anything else you would do to give yourself peace of mind in this situation is very welcome advice
Juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 02:28   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Buying unseen

You can't fly up there and take a look?
Old 19-02-2019, 02:35   #3

Yeah absolutely I could. Actually have someone checking it out on Monday. But my issue is even if it IS REAL how do I know they won't just take my money and run? Do people do that? Am i being insanely paranoid? I have a lisence number a rego number a HIN etc. What recourse do I even have if they don't send the boat?
Old 19-02-2019, 05:33   #4

Don't know the laws in Australia, but if the laws are reasonable (which I believe they are), when you are there, I'd take copies of the broker's ID, the owner's ID and the delivery captain's ID. Of course, I'd also take copies of the boat documentation and photos of everything around the marina and broker's office. I would also ask the broker for references and maybe visit a couple of business (like the marina office) to get their opinion of the broker.

I'm guessing there's no 100% way to guarantee they won't take your money and run, but if you're this concerned, maybe something like this will help alleviate the concern.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 06:04   #5

Boat: Volkscruiser

Sounds a bit fishy to me. Have you had her surveyed? You are going to need a survey for insurance anyway? If you unload her in a marina they are going to want to see a current insurance certificate. What’s with an American insurance policy for an Aussie boat?
Juggles you almost sound like you are from Nigeria yourself? I am wondering if you are trying to refine your next scam or if you are a true blue Aussie? Cheap 40 footer and only $2700 to have it delivered half way across Oz? Owner picks up the rest of the tab..........please
$2700 sounds about right for the width of your country (1100km) but here it’s 4000km so you might need to double that price. Melbourne to Hervey Bay was $6600 for a 35 foot yacht last month plus yard fees crane etc.
Cheers/Odaroo
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 06:11   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Buying unseen

If I am handing over cash for a boat I would want to be there to receive all the boats papers and the bill of sale as I paid the money.. and the deal witnessed by someone on my side.. Surveyor, lawyer, whatever.
Copies are for delivery skippers.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 07:53   #7

Listen to boatman61. Fly up there, pay your money, sign the papers and take them with you. This way, on paper at least, it's your boat.

Otherwise, half now, half on delivery.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 07:59   #8

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Don’t forget to check for any unpaid liens or bills against the boat
Old 19-02-2019, 08:47   #9
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

You don't have escrow there?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 19:42   #10

Not Nigerian just very young and dumb. I was quoted 9k for boat transport so the 2700 worried me. This is my first ever big purchase by myself so probably overthinking it far too much.
I think I will just fly up there and sign the papers in person as apposed to down here with a JP and scanning them in. I'm not sure if that gives me any extra coverage but it's only 800 odd if I can get someone to cover me at work it's worth the peace of mind. I have also requested payment in two parts hopefully they are okay with that.
Old 19-02-2019, 20:09   #11

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggles View Post
Not Nigerian just very young and dumb. I was quoted 9k for boat transport so the 2700 worried me. This is my first ever big purchase by myself so probably overthinking it far too much.
I think I will just fly up there and sign the papers in person as apposed to down here with a JP and scanning them in. I'm not sure if that gives me any extra coverage but it's only 800 odd if I can get someone to cover me at work it's worth the peace of mind. I have also requested payment in two parts hopefully they are okay with that.

I would never buy at boat unseen. Here is what you can get..

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...een-97873.html
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 20:16   #12

Haha oh wow! Some doozies there. The quality isn't the issue it's someone doing a runner with the money that I can't shake. But it seems I'll be doing a trip this weekend anyway to see it myself. Her broker is seeing if she's happy with part payment on delivery. Had a mate going to check it out Monday but I think it'd be better for my sanity that I go if they won't do part payment.
Old 19-02-2019, 20:26   #13

Juggles what is the boat you are buying?
Old 19-02-2019, 20:31   #14

I was buying a 42 foot steel koonya for 17k. Bilut apparently now she's decided to sell to someone else instead. So no boat right now until I find another one I like. Budget is about double that so shouldn't be too hard. I'm just.. neurotic so very picky
Old 19-02-2019, 20:42   #15

As a professional surveyor without even seeing the yacht it sounds like you dodged a bullet. I would put a fair bet that for 17k for a 49 year old steel yacht that when it arrived at your place you might have told the truckie to keep heading to Sims scrap metal and unload there!
The worst steel yacht I have surveyed this year had fiberglass patches below the waterline and the owner thought that was perfectly acceptable.
Surely you can find something better on Gumtree?
Cheers

Tags
buying