Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2015, 15:21   #61

Re: Buying First Boat...need opinions!

Update!

Have looked at some other boats... not having as much fun doing this as I thought I would. Very frustrating really...

Anyways, I have altered my selection criteria. Now I am just looking for a boat that "feels right", in the right location, for the right price and most importantly, in the right condition (as turnkey as possible). When I'm a better sailor, I'll have more time to spend being picky about what type of boat I'll upgrade to but right now, at this rate, I'll be happy to just have a boat by summer!

Just looked at an Oday and will be looking at a Contessa next week, BTW. The first boat to fit my new criteria will win, even if it doesn't fit the original criteria... I just want to get out there and be able to sail asap!
shortytravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 15:45   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
Having been in the boat business, eons ago, we had a rule of thumb we always followed when negotiating to buy any boat. That was, whatever the buyer was asking, offer half! If they are serious they will either take it or counter. If they stick to their asking, walk away. You should be able to get any boat for 75% or less of the asking.
The trouble with these so called strategies is that the asking price is never the barometer of value to begin with.

Take the example of two identical boats with two different owners. One owner is asking 100k and the other is asking 50k. Similar sales in the past year have averaged 70k.

Do you think the second boat is only worth 75% of 50k as your theory states?
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 17:35   #63

Boat: Tartan 34C

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortytravels View Post
Update!

Have looked at some other boats... not having as much fun doing this as I thought I would. Very frustrating really...

Anyways, I have altered my selection criteria. Now I am just looking for a boat that "feels right", in the right location, for the right price and most importantly, in the right condition (as turnkey as possible). When I'm a better sailor, I'll have more time to spend being picky about what type of boat I'll upgrade to but right now, at this rate, I'll be happy to just have a boat by summer!

Just looked at an Oday and will be looking at a Contessa next week, BTW. The first boat to fit my new criteria will win, even if it doesn't fit the original criteria... I just want to get out there and be able to sail asap!
Hang in there...More boats will pop up and yours will come!

BTW: If you will be needing a mooring, I have one for sale with a spot out here in Nasketucket Bay...
Tartan 34C #177 "Nova Luna"
Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada" (SOLD)
Southcoasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 18:35   #64

I just noticed that Seafarer dropped in price to $5000...Maybe you can get it for $4000 and have an almost new boat for cheap

You'll just have to finish off the remaining things on it but it looks like the big stuff is done...you did say you liked the Seafarer...
Old 16-04-2015, 20:23   #65

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Perhaps you've seen this?
https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/4976097112.html

But I really like the Yankee Dolphin. And done quite a bit of work on the Yankee 30, a lovely Sparkman Stevens design and impeccable sailor. Not many were made, so they don't come on the market often. Extremely well made. A boat to keep in the family.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 04:04   #66

Here's another good deal. A little bigger than what you're looking for but since seller says he is looking to unload by Sunday April April 19th, you can probably go take a look this weekend and have yourself a deal at $7500!

Carl Alberg Designed Cape Dory 27
Old 17-04-2015, 05:34   #67

I saw both those on craigslist. Considered calling on the Dory. I'm having to pursue these boats with public transit, bike or friend's car/ rental car so trying to keep my search within MA...especially after going to that boat that was in "great condition" but had a family of squirrels living on it!

I have 3 boats lined up for the next two weeks too... I'm getting closer!

Old 17-04-2015, 05:47   #68

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Man, I always knew it, much better small boat deals in New England than in Florida! If only the "schedule" had worked out. Good luck on the search, it'll all be worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 13:06   #69

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southcoasting View Post
Here's another good deal. A little bigger than what you're looking for but since seller says he is looking to unload by Sunday April April 19th, you can probably go take a look this weekend and have yourself a deal at $7500!

Carl Alberg Designed Cape Dory 27
That's a really great deal if it is as clean on the inside as it looks on the outside.
Old 17-04-2015, 13:36   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
That's a really great deal if it is as clean on the inside as it looks on the outside.
Looks like he started at 10.5.

1980 Cape Dory Cape Dory 27 sailboat for sale in Rhode Island
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 17:58   #71

Just wanted to update...made offer pending survey on a Flicka but survey revealed off meter reading of moisture in the transom so... I've now joined a sailing club in order to get on the water asap. I can take out the boats afternoons and evenings so it isn't what I planned but I'm getting to sail at least!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
buying