Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2020, 20:07   #1

Buying A New Boat From A Dealer

Hello everyone. Returning to sailing after a long absence. Just posted an introduction in the appropriate forum and now I am looking for some boat buying assistance. I am approximately 5 years from retiring and while I should probably wait until I am in a position to use a boat more frequently the itch is needing to be scratched, soooo I'm thinking about buying a new boat in the 35 foot range from a dealer. I am looking for suggestions on brand and model, the buying process, survey, negotiation, selecting the dealer, taxes, buying at a boat show, registration, e.t.c.

To narrow the field I will answer a couple of questions in advance about location and type of sailing. I currently live and work in St Louis and would likely keep the boat on the gulf coast. For the next five years the boat will be a marina queen. I hope to live aboard one week a month and take her out on weekend sails. Once retirement comes the plan would be for extended trips to the Bahamas and Virgin Island and possibly beyond.
Old 22-08-2020, 20:28   #2

Boat: Tartan 28
Re: Buying A New Boat From A Dealer

You’ll get a zillion “right” answers on what kind of boat you should get, but honestly you need to figure that out based on your desires. It’s a big purchase, research the heck out of it and know what you are getting and its trade offs.

I felt compelled to respond in encouragement. I am doing this exact thing right now, commuting from a similar distance (Louisville), and keeping a boat in Pensacola, FL. FWIW based on my research it was about the best place for me to keep one. Shortest distance, reasonable slip costs, and lots of sailing, cruising options. We spend about 10 days a month on it on average. I’ll work from the boat, many times from anchor at the numerous great areas we’ve discovered.

The only thing I would caution you on is hurricane planning. Know what your options are to deal with storms and accept the risk. As I type this we are sitting on our boat now and may have to move it due to the two storms in the Gulf right now. Will know for sure in a couple days. Getting on a list to a storm haul out is a yearly cost, very expensive, which you would probably want to do if you had a new boat.

If you want to commute further, the Tampa area has lower historical rate of storms, but its a lot further, and much more expensive for slip fees.
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 20:47   #3

Re: Buying A New Boat From A Dealer

zemurray,

Thanks for the encouragement. I can use all I can get. I was also thinking Tampa because Southwest flies there direct from STL, but Mobile/Pensacola is on the list as well if I decide I will be driving more ofter than flying. Hope the storm dies out before it gets to you. Stay safe!

Tags
boat, buying, new boat