Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2017, 05:44   #1

Boat: Hunter 460
Buying a boat in Turkey?

Hi CF friends -

My wife and I live in the US and we are looking to purchase a 40-50' mono and casting a fairly wide geographic net to get the boat that we want. We came across a listing in Antalya, Turkey (link below) and wanted to know if you all had experiences/guidance that you might be able to offer around what types of issues we might face buying a boat in Turkey. Advice around VAT, export from Turkey/Import into the US, finding a surveyor, etc... would be appreciated.

I know there's a fair amount I don't know here, and trying to learn. Thanks

Here's a link to the listing
dkbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 21:07   #2

Re: Buying a boat in Turkey?

I am looking at doing the same thing dkbomb .. looking to buy a catamaran in Turkey next January and wondering on people's experiences any further information.

It seems like you didn't get any response??? How did your experience go?

Regards Greg
Artzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:33   #3

Boat: Hunter 460

Hey Greg - we haven't bought a boat yet, and may not end up getting one abroad. There were a few major logistical questions, including how long it would take to get the boat ready to make the crossing, that made this more complicated than we wanted, and we aren't on a strict timeframe.

Would love to hear more about your experience when you complete it. I will say that Gino Group, the listing broker for the boat we were looking at, was extremely responsive when it came to questions. There are also one or two CF Members based in Turkey that are great resources. Good luck!

Dan
dkbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 01:42   #4

Boat: Plan Joubert 21
Send a message via Skype™ to ProjectManaia

Hello guys,
I just DID buy a turkey flagged boat in turkey and reflagged in austria (being austrian). It was a bit of paperwork but after 2 weeks all went through. To finish up you have to leave the country and clear back in (about 100 euros round trip) and since greek islands are so close not too big a deal
Any specific questions let me know, happy to point you towards helpful people i encountered!
ProjectManaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 23:56   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

If you are working with Gino Group they do know what they are doing. We have an American friend who has lived in Turkey for 28 years after she and her husband sailed from Calif to Turkey via the Carib and loved it so much they just stayed - He husband is gone now but she is very very familiar on how to get things done in Turkey as do the other folks at Gino
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 00:53   #6

Hello All,
I am looking for information on registering a boat purchased in Turkey. I have been told that registering in Delaware, USA is the way to go. Any information would be appreciated. I browse the Daily Cruiser postings regularly but not really sure how to search the forums???
Sam
skimatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 01:09   #7

Last year I believe there were changes to the law about Delaware registration. If my memory serves me correctly it more hurt the Turkish than the foreigners. Hmm let me look....

Ahhh yes here is a cf thread with article. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-180430.html

Yeloya is the most knowledgeable Turkish person on CF and runs a charter company, in Marmaris, I think?

Sam, I do hope you spend time in Turkey with your boat. The people, food, architecture and so much more make it great. I have also never felt unsafe in my travels there, including last fall. There are a lot of lovely coastal anchorages and towns. S/V Bebe has a great blog about Turkey. If you head to the Turquoise Coast, my favorite, feel free to ask me for recommendations. Love it there!
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:12   #8

I also never felt unsafe in Turkey's coastal regions. Great place to be.
It's a totally different situation in the center/north/east of the country though. Nothing you can't really compare.
nephix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 00:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephix View Post
I also never felt unsafe in Turkey's coastal regions. Great place to be.
It's a totally different situation in the center/north/east of the country though. Nothing you can't really compare.
I think I will disagree a bit - we have traveled inland a bit and all of the north along the Black Sea and the people are the best if not better along the North and Black Sea -- they were incredibly kind to us and very hospitable and welcoming - we will find a bit more when we drive to central Turkey as may be a bit more conservative
Old 05-04-2018, 01:10   #10

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
I think I will disagree a bit - we have traveled inland a bit and all of the north along the Black Sea and the people are the best if not better along the North and Black Sea -- they were incredibly kind to us and very hospitable and welcoming - we will find a bit more when we drive to central Turkey as may be a bit more conservative
I'll also disagree... been to turkey maybe 8 times between 1996 and 2015ish, a few of the times driving from one end to the other, top to bottom, coast and inland in a 77 VW bus. Never had so many invites into houses and mosques for tea or refreshments. Driving in Istanbul anytime someone saw me looking for a place to park, they'd wave me up on the sidewalks and then spend 20 minutes trying to talk to me and invite me home to show off their family while a crowd gathered around the bus (they bloody love VW busses! who'dve thought)... to speak nothing about Turkish Cyprus... politically chit situation, I know, I know, but wow, mainland friendliness x 10. Anywhere you go, Turks manage to be awesome
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Good to hear that you had better experiences in the north. I lived there for a year and got thrown out of a bank because I'm "yabanci" and saw some national flags being burned in streets. Seems like the kindness varies by location, even in the north. I'd assume that touristic spots like Istanbul and black sea coast are comparable to the aegean coast as they depend on tourist money.
nephix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 23:32   #12

Quote:
Good to hear that you had better experiences in the north. I lived there for a year and got thrown out of a bank because I'm "yabanci" and saw some national flags being burned in streets. Seems like the kindness varies by location, even in the north. I'd assume that touristic spots like Istanbul and black sea coast are comparable to the aegean coast as they depend on tourist money.
Of course Istanbul is nice to almost everyone - they just want tourist $$ but we went off grid in Istanbul looking for boat parts and propane and the people were not looking for tourist $$ just help us out with our needs - and I mean we were really off grid where almost no tourist would go

As for the Black Sea it was not $$ - it was just genuine kindness - We had folks invite us for cay (tea) and only one of 5 guys spoke English - we walked all over towns and even traveled inland to look and see -

As for flag burning - saw that in the USA - saw it in Turkey when I was here with the military over 50 years ago - not a big deal - I went back to the USA last March and got more bad comments and told how stupid I was ect from just wearing a tee shirt than anything in Turkey -
Old 20-04-2018, 14:53   #13

Quote:
Hi all,

Me and my partner are Turkish and live onboard for 15 years. I must say that the attitude of Turkish may be different not only by regions but also by political moments, unfortunetely. One day they might be best friends, the other day you may become 'enemy' if there has been a stupid political motivation or tension created, mıostly intentionally by the politicans. So I would advice to follow the political tensions wherever you travel inland of Turkey. Otherwise especially sailing is quite safe, well, at least it was 3 years ago, when we left Turkey...guess it is still. the only problem in Aegean part is the 'tourist hunter' type of people who believe you3re super rich if you have a boat and especially if you're a foreigner.

Regarding Turkish flagged boat; it should be easier to shift it to a foreign flag (depending your homeland) than the other way around. Our boat was Canadian flagged when we bought her in Marmaris, and we had to get Delawere registration with no hassle, struggle etc..however if you stay in the country, DO NOT exceeed the 5 year time limit for stay permission!
We had a horrible broker when we bought but I can advice others more reliable.

After sailing till south America so far, I must say I do miss sailing in Turkish and Greek coasts! Still so many beautiful and well protected bays all around the coast!
enjoy before they're totally gone!
best
banu
BANUSCUBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:17   #14

We enjoyed our experience in Turkey, saying that they tried to rip us off about 2000 USD, we made a video about the full process as I couldn't find any information when we were buying, hope this helps.

Jason
Sailing Kawai
chook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 20:02   #15

Boat: Bayliner 3870 39ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by chook View Post
We enjoyed our experience in Turkey, saying that they tried to rip us off about 2000 USD, we made a video about the full process as I couldn't find any information when we were buying, hope this helps.

Jason
Sailing Kawai
Is that your video Jason? If so I will give it a watch. I didn't realise those here made these types of videos.
tackleandtax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, Turkey