Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2014, 10:07   #1

Buying a Boat and Looking for Advise

I have the opportunity to buy a Bristol/Starsail Corinthian 19' from my uncle and I need some advise. I'm new to sailing (as in I've never sailed or owned a boat) so I have no idea about boat value, handling, and all that. Back story on the boat is that My uncle bought it about 8 years ago and pretty much rebuilt it from the ground up. He's lived on it for the last 5 years and is ready to get something bigger. He's taken very good care of it and it still looks almost brand new. He got a new 4 stroke motor for it 4 years ago and has kept that in very good condition as well. The sails are about 4 years old and have been well cared for too. It doesn't have a radio, or GPS system. He's also agreed to give me sailing lessons, and will let me dock it at his slip for free for the next 2 years. It will also come with a trailer, but the trailer isn't in great condition. It would be ok for pulling it out of the water during a hurricane and moving it around town, but that's about all. He offered to sell it to me for $5000. Is this a fair price? Also is this boat "sea worthy"? Can I take it in the open ocean or am I going to be confined to the channels and inlets? Is this a good boat for a beginner, the rigging seems pretty straight forward. Any advise you can offer would be great! Thanks Reddit.
Cubanesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 18:49   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Buying a boat and looking for advise

Google on the boat type. Allberg is a respected designer of the old school. The boat (IMO, and I'm NOT an expert) should be a good boat to learn to sail on. Depends on the relationship with the uncle whether you want to learn from him and pay what he's asking. Also depends on the quality of the work he's done, and how knowledgeable he is, how sensible his fitout. Partly depends on what else is available in your location and at what price, and what your goals are.

You may not get many responses, as your question is unanswerable in its present form. Responsible people do not want to give advice when there are too many unknown factors.

Possibly the best advice one might give you is to follow your heart. Run away if he's asking "too much". Go for it if you really want that boat at this time.

Ann
Old 16-06-2014, 19:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

If it's in the condition you say, you trust your uncle, he's letting you store it for free for 2 years and gives you free sailing lessons - yes, it's a perfect boat for you.

If you keep it in good shape, sell it on for a similar price in 2-3 years you have recouped your investment 1,000 times over.

In regards to taking it to sea, that is more dependent on your skill as a sailor. No issue coastal sailing a 19 foot boat in favorable weather.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 10:22   #4

Thanks for the advise and input everyone. I think I'm going to do it. I'm not trying to sail it around the world, but I'd like to be able to adventure a little bit with it. Sounds like it's the perfect little boat for me and my future wife to enjoy.
Cubanesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 11:09   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

We pay a bit over $2000 a year for a mooring. So I'd say depending on where you are that the free slip for two years alone might be worth it!

As said above, if you like the boat and feel it will be good, go for it. Certainly seems like a reasonable price.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 14:31   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Did anyone else note that the Uncle has lived aboard this 19 foot vessel for 5 years? Sounds odd to me! And five thousand for any boat of that size is on the high end of the spectrum.

Before I would advise purchase, I'd want to know a LOT more about the boat.

Jim
Old 17-06-2014, 17:56   #7

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
And five thousand for any boat of that size is on the high end of the spectrum.
Jim
In Australia a fiberglass boat of that size in nice condition would go for that price. Paid $9000 for my 21 foot and put in a few thousand dollars safety gear.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 18:10   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Did anyone else note that the Uncle has lived aboard this 19 foot vessel for 5 years? Sounds odd to me! And five thousand for any boat of that size is on the high end of the spectrum.

Before I would advise purchase, I'd want to know a LOT more about the boat.

Jim
How much more can you know about a 19 foot boat that your uncle rebuilt and lived on?

For a 19 footer in Bristol condition, he's fine.

Lets say he owned it for 3 years and only sold it on for $3000. >$55 a month and no storage fees for a learner boat?

Deal of the century.

Beat up the Uncle (who is going to teach you to sail and presumably help you fix the boat if anything goes wrong?) for a couple grand? I don't think that's worth it...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying