Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2019, 07:28   #16
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Buyers Etiquette

Quote:
would it be considered rude or improper to schedule and look at a boat listed by a broker if I plan on using my own buyers broker if a offer were to proceed .
I think so.
Old 31-12-2019, 07:45   #17

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

In the US boat brokers are loosely regulated unlike real estate agents. In some states a boat broker is not required to submit an offer among other things. I believe this is not the case in Florida and California so where the boat broker is from plays a big part in you getting a level playing field.
Old 31-12-2019, 08:47   #18

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
There may a commission split issue with looking a boat without your buyers agent and later calling one in.

But if you are going to use a buyers agent why wouldn't you always use them. They are going to make money, made them do something for you. Buyers agents should be able to get you info that the seller agent weren't tell you up front lots of times.
I have narrowed my list of boats I'm interested in down to a few boats. I'm willing to buy a boat from New England to Florida from great lakes to gulf of mexico. To me it makes more sense to use a local broker, as opposed to a local to me broker. It comes down to me looking at a boat once then getting a broker or signing a new contract in every location I look at a boat.
Blue Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 09:09   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Claw View Post
I have narrowed my list of boats I'm interested in down to a few boats. I'm willing to buy a boat from New England to Florida from great lakes to gulf of mexico. To me it makes more sense to use a local broker, as opposed to a local to me broker. It comes down to me looking at a boat once then getting a broker or signing a new contract in every location I look at a boat.
then get a local buyer broker for each location to show you the boat you want to see

it's that easy
Old 31-12-2019, 09:10   #20

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Claw View Post
I think I have decided the way I will approach this will be to schedule a first look with sellers agent. If I decide to put in an offer it will be through a buyers broker. In my opinion thats not asking too much from sellers broker.
At what advantage? All you are doing is making a complicated dance more complicated with to little or any advantage. Either start with your own broker or stick with the sellers broker.
If you have a broker you like as a buyers broker, then it takes one phone call for him/her to call the listing broker prior to you contacting the selling broker. Very simple.

Remember you are trying to get a decent deal on a good boat, not get a new best friend.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote