Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2018, 04:30   #46

Boat: Cal 39 MKII
Re: Brokers are dumb? Or just us...

OK, I was not going to add my 2 cents, but this subject of boat brokers can be personal.
I have bought and sold 7 decent sized (27-42 ft) sailboats in the last 17 years (different boat for different needs - 2 trips cruising with a family of 5).

I actually wrote an article for Soundings back in 2009 called " The Broker Did What!!", or something like that where we had a " reputable" broker from Annapolis actually intentionally hide a failed transmission (changed the oil and everything), on a Whitby 42, because he knew we could never find out until the paper was signed (issue at marina with hoist). When all was said and done the owner of the brokerage told me that he would never sell a boat for someone out of the country because it left a paper trail that allowed me to make them pay for the transmission.

I also had a broker on another boat swear that there was no balsa in the hull (everything was carpeted), until I found a spot under the V birth without carpet and showed him the balsa.

Bottom line, there is no LAW that requires that brokers tell the truth or divulge known issues. Therefore, they are not being held to anything other than their own morals. If you find an honest one, use them for your boat purchases. Otherwise go into the process with your shields up.
The same is true with surveyors. I published an article about a surveyor damaging my boat with a ball peen hammer (YES A METAL HAMMER) that dimpled the entire hull. He was so bad that he did not even know how to turn on a battery switch (buyers surveyor).

This boat buying, selling, and surveying is the final wild west of business and should be handled accordingly. If you do not have experience, then ask around and get input from as many respected boat owners (and their mistakes) as possible before proceeding.
epoxyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 23:43   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Of course everything is negotiable, but in general what I said is typical.
While I agree, you can negotiate anything.

Typical is any hauling or other work needed, is typically paid for by the buyer.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:50   #48
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

At the low end, As Is Where Is rules, take it or leave it, all costs worn by the buyer.

Many sales at the real bottom end there is no inspection allowed at all before bidding.

Yes higher risk, but sometimes real bargains found this way, esp PO just passed away, family can't be bothered.

Of course mostly projects, hardly ever turnkey
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote