Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2021, 15:00   #1

Boat: Pape 42’ Aluminum Cutter
Brazil, buying a sailboat questions

Hello everyone,

I am interested in a sailboat that is registered in Brazil. Does anyone have experience in purchasing a boat with a Brazilian registration and how the transfer process goes including any taxes that might me due to a foreign buyer ?

Thank you in advance for your input.
Northernguy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 15:48   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Brazil, buying a sailboat questions

That will depend on which country you'll want to register the boat.
As to the foreign purchase in Brazil, Copacabana knows more than I do and may chime in.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 15:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
That will depend on which country you'll want to register the boat.
As to the foreign purchase in Brazil, Copacabana knows more than I do and may chime in.
I could register in either Canada or the USA whichever makes more sense.

Thanks for the reply
Old 06-11-2021, 19:16   #4

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernguy59 View Post
I could register in either Canada or the USA whichever makes more sense.

Thanks for the reply
I assume you are citizen of both countries, in Canada you can register if you are either a citizen or a PR, but in the US you must be a citizen.
There are several threads on the subject for the registration process and documentation needs, a quick search using the custom Google search under the search tab will provide you with plenty info.
In Canada you can register the boat but only pay the taxes and duty (if applicable) once you bring it into the country.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 19:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
I assume you are citizen of both countries, in Canada you can register if you are either a citizen or a PR, but in the US you must be a citizen.
There are several threads on the subject for the registration process and documentation needs, a quick search using the custom Google search under the search tab will provide you with plenty info.
In Canada you can register the boat but only pay the taxes and duty (if applicable) once you bring it into the country.
Yes I am a citizen of both countries. I am more interested in how it works in Brasil, getting the boat legally transferred into my name and the money transfer etc ?
Old 10-11-2021, 09:56   #6

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Northernguy, is the boat still in Brazil? The process of changing ownership is quite easy here, but you'll need to be here in person or give someone a power of attorney to handle it for you. Basically, you need a receipt (can be a simple contract with the signatures of both parties notarized) and then you fill out a few forms, pay a fee (about USD 8.00) and head into the Capitania dos Portos office to register the transfer. If you post more information, perhaps I can help. I think it might be easier to hire a "despachante" (a professional who deals with the paperwork for a small fee) to handle this for you, but I suspect you'll have to actually come to Brazil to do this (or make a notarized and legally translated power of attorney and send it to Brazil). Send more information and let's see if we can find a solution
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Brazil, buying, sail, sailboat