Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2019, 10:55   #46
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Boat U.S. Hailing Port Registration to minimize Tax impact

No, every state would ask for at least contact info for **any** transaction, if nothing else to track you down in the event your property is involved in a mishap or illegal activity.

But a mailing address does not need to be a residential address, which in turn may not be your legal domicile location, completely separate categories, only the last must be singular.

And tax issues are often completely separate from the registration fee, can also be local or county level.

Some of the relevant questions here are:

Must you provide an in-state address in order to register?

Does the state check that address is an authentic residential location, or will a P.O. Box or cheap maildrop do?

Does that state care whether you are legally domiciled there or not?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 11:15   #47

Boat: Malibu Escape 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Dan2011. South African products, including boats, are exempt from the 1.5% duty levied on, for example, French built boats. Many customs agents charge people who don't know this but it's true. The African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA) Treaty was signed into law by Pres. Clinton in 2000 has been renewed until 2025. Info in 19 CFR 10.214, 10.215, and 10.216.
After wading the through the referenced code, I'm having trouble finding were boats are mentioned or included. It seems that the code was aimed at clothing and textiles. Can you help me find where other items, like boats, are also exempted?

This would be really great for us as we consider the purchase of a Leopard next month.
Old 21-10-2019, 11:58   #48

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Re question to me: Russ
It has been 19 years and I do recall it was a no-fuss, no muss, kinda deal. I filled out the paperwork paid ONLY the RI registration fee and it was done and dusted as the Brits say.

Florida was similar deal when I moved the boat there but at the time I lived aboard at a FL marina and used the marina address to register the boat though my mail still went to Vermont.
Old 22-10-2019, 05:39   #49

You do not have to worry about paying sales tax or any other use taxes if you keep it out of the US. Use any place you want as a hailing port. I would use someplace that actually is a port because when you fill out paperwork sometimes the computer program will automatically have a port listed that you can use. I keep my boat in the Caribbean and have it registered in Port Angeles Washington just because my parents used to live there.
Bon Temps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 07:15   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon Temps View Post
You do not have to worry about paying sales tax or any other use taxes if you keep it out of the US.
True for sales or use taxes to any state in the U.S. Depending on what country the transaction is taking place in, though, they may well have their own taxes that they want to collect.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, registration