Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2013, 08:34   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Boat Sharing Opertunities For Boat Owners

Hi everyone, my wife and I are looking for boat sharing opertunities through out the world. We have a very nice 40 ft Beneteau in South Florida and would like to trade for equal time on comprable boat in other places. Not picky about the place yet. I have heard of this beeing done but realy do not know how likely it is to be done. If anyone has experience with this, good or bad, please share with me your experiences. Also if there is a web site or something that details something like this please share that information also. Thanks
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:43   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Boat Sharing Opertunities For Boat Owners

Rocketman,

I have no idea about this site. But they do facilitate boatsharing (sort of like "house swappers")

If you use it, let me know how it works out.
Echange bateau, changes bateaux, changes voiliers, bateaux moteur seemysea.com

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:05   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Rocketman,

I have no idea about this site. But they do facilitate boatsharing (sort of like "house swappers")

If you use it, let me know how it works out.
Echange bateau, changes bateaux, changes voiliers, bateaux moteur seemysea.com

Thanks for the information, and the web site, it looks like this might be what I am looking for. I signed into it, I guess I will have to wait and see what happens.

If anyone out there has any experiences, good or bad regarding this site or boat swaping in general please chime in.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:31   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boat Sharing Opertunities For Boat Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Thanks for the information, and the web site, it looks like this might be what I am looking for. I signed into it, I guess I will have to wait and see what happens.

If anyone out there has any experiences, good or bad regarding this site or boat swaping in general please chime in.
I imagine it'll mainly down to attitude/expectations each time you do it.. if your super tidy and end up on a more 'Relaxed Boat' will you be focused on the state your boat maybe getting into in their hands...
or would you focus on enjoying the change...
Could/would you be prepared to downsize for the right area.. could you trust a smaller boat owner...

This is 'Private Stuff'... no money back claim coz stuff was broken and spoilt the holiday like a charter..
One good thing though.. like house's its all about....
Location, Location, Location......

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I imagine it'll mainly down to attitude/expectations each time you do it.. if your super tidy and end up on a more 'Relaxed Boat' will you be focused on the state your boat maybe getting into in their hands...
or would you focus on enjoying the change...
Could/would you be prepared to downsize for the right area.. could you trust a smaller boat owner...

This is 'Private Stuff'... no money back claim coz stuff was broken and spoilt the holiday like a charter..
One good thing though.. like house's its all about....
Location, Location, Location......
I, like you, have also thought about these conciderations. I would like to swap with someone with a simular size boat, and then I would like to do a defered swap, where I would spend a couple of days with the proposed swap crew on my boat so I could feel comfortable letting them sail away in it, or maybe simply sail the entire time with them on our respective boats. I know anyone with a decent boat are going to have the same concerns I would have.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:55   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boat Sharing Opertunities For Boat Owners

Quote:
I, like you, have also thought about these conciderations. I would like to swap with someone with a simular size boat, and then I would like to do a defered swap, where I would spend a couple of days with the proposed swap crew on my boat so I could feel comfortable letting them sail away in it, or maybe simply sail the entire time with them on our respective boats. I know anyone with a decent boat are going to have the same concerns I would have.
Lotsa flying back n forth if they want the same...
Oh... and no worries... not looking to swap..
just thought you may want a sailing dinghy...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:49   #7

Not sure about the boat options, but I have many friends that are involved with a similar scheme with house swapping. My friends in the UK swap all the time with people in the network in OZ, NZ, South Africa, etc.. They seem to love it.. I would imagine it would be similar with the boat network.. Hopefully, you will swap with a couple that are as careful and respectful as yourselves..
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 23:47   #8

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Rocketman,

I have a 40 ft Jeanneau. While I would cheerfully house swap, I would just hesitate like hell about boat swap. Why? Noone has to dock my house in 40 knt winds. If things get dirty, they can be cleaned. Broken glasses etc? well **** happens. Running my boat into the dock? Yes, it can be repaired but....................

I don't lend my wife out either - some things are just a bit personal, although I would like to borrow someone else's boat................

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 23:56   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Hi everyone, my wife and I are looking for boat sharing opertunities through out the world. We have a very nice 40 ft Beneteau in South Florida and would like to trade for equal time on comprable boat in other places. Not picky about the place yet. I have heard of this beeing done but realy do not know how likely it is to be done. If anyone has experience with this, good or bad, please share with me your experiences. Also if there is a web site or something that details something like this please share that information also. Thanks
Sounds like wife swapping to me LOL!

Edited to add: you got in before me Carsten

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Rocketman,

I have a 40 ft Jeanneau. While I would cheerfully house swap, I would just hesitate like hell about boat swap. Why? Noone has to dock my house in 40 knt winds. If things get dirty, they can be cleaned. Broken glasses etc? well **** happens. Running my boat into the dock? Yes, it can be repaired but....................

I don't lend my wife out either - some things are just a bit personal, although I would like to borrow someone else's boat................

These are the exact reasons I believe this isn't done. I also believe these are the exact reasons why a lot of people own big beutiful boats and don't use them very much.

I believe alot of us, my wife included, gets board sailing within 500 miles of our home. My wife, will not do a passage, say to EU, but would love to visit and sail around there. I may find a crew and sail our boat there then pick her up over there some place.

I just thought there might be others in other parts of the world that have the same desires.

My wife and I do not live on our boat, it is insured, so if someone else uses it, and it gets damaged or sunk, I am at least covered for some of the loss.

The comments about wife swaping are funny but true, I probably spend more time with my boat (mistress) than I do my wife. I can certainly understand how anyone would have reservations about wife swaping, I mean boat swaping.

Another, just as appealing thought would be something like boat sharing, instead of swaping, a couple may decide to spend a few weeks with us on our boat then they would return the favor in there part of the world. We would probably become great friends and we would all learn from a veteran of the area about that area. I don't feel the need to be the captain all the time, and would welcome someone else taking over that duty.

These are just thoughts, I know they may never work out, but I was interested in hearing from those that may have tried this concept.