Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2011, 10:59   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Boat Rugs ?

i tried the latex backed rugs (latex is the rubber of which that rubber backing is made) and found that it doesnt take a year to destroy the backing and have powder under. that particular latex powder is very highly allergenic and causes asthma and other allergic reactions. i found those anti skid counter top strips to be better for keeping a small rug in place. i buy the lil scatter rugs without backing and only use em in port. i have a 41 formosa with teak and holly soles.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 11:05   #17
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Zee is right, that powdery mess can be a problem.

There are huge quality ranges in the rubber backed rugs. Many of them will be as you experienced and degrade really rapidly. There are others that will last for a number of seasons.

I have had both ; -) If you make a point of looking at abunch of them you will begin to feel the difference.

The good ones get shabby looking on top before the backing gives up. Make a point of not drying them in the dryer, that will help them last longer.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 12:56   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boat Rugs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisap1107 View Post
Thanks for all the helpful responses. We are moving "UP" to a bigger boat (54') and I am attempting to create a nice look, with matching carpets/rugs throughout the boat. But, with all the odd-sized passageways and cabins it's hard to find what I was looking for. Just thought there might be something out there I hadn't found yet. I appreciate the input.
Hi Lisap....
seems a few here think I was offensive in my first fall over laughing post...
If I caused you offense I do sincerely apologise... but as a second post it just made me laugh... cant help it...
I will however (if this has not/does not put me on the 'dark side') endeavour to be helpful in future...
Hope you find what your looking for...
Phil

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 13:55   #19

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Sorry but due to personal experience, I consider a rug on a boat as a major safety hazard. In any rough seas your shoes will slip slid out from under you and you really don't want that to happen.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 14:00   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

boasun--that exact reason is why i put mine away when underway--i fell in a friend's boat on his SCATTER rugs.....was not fun. even in a port i will place antiskid under them so they dont scoot when you wish to walk.... even the rubber backed ones seem to enjoy scooting....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 14:02   #21

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
Sorry but due to personal experience, I consider a rug on a boat as a major safety hazard. In any rough seas your shoes will slip slid out from under you and you really don't want that to happen.
I don't know what kind of rug your buying but my feet slip a lot faster on wet wood then a rug that is stuck to the deck.
Old 29-11-2011, 14:28   #22
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Windrose Interiors did all of our interior upholstery/bolstering, cushions, curtains, carpets, etc. They did a very nice job on the carpets, all fitted perfectly with bound edges, heavy padding, snaps, etc. etc. They'll even do inlaid patterns, graphics, leather binding, fringe, whatever. There is no slip whatsoever, even at extreme heel angles, and I'm a big guy. Only drawback is the sheer size of the material when you remove it, it's definitely a garage full if you strip out the floors completely. Oh, and the price. I doubt we'll take it cruising with us, but while we're living aboard and working still it's great. The sole is mint condition under that carpet. Right now I'm leaving the pilothouse bare, as well as the heads and aft cabin. For some reason I like to see the sole in my cabin. And the Italian tile in the heads. The fwd cabins we left carpeted, great for the kids. Keeps them from beating the hell out of the cabin sole. So I'd guess we only use about 50% of the carpet for the boat most of the time, although times like now in the dead of winter I start thinking about putting some back in. A little warmer on the feet and in general....

Windrose Interiors - Welcome!
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 15:15   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boat Rugs ?

Custom Snap-In Replacement Boat Carpet Template Kit by Taylor Made 44160 - iboats.com

Marine Carpeting | Boat Carpeting | Aquamat® | Custom Fit AquaMat® Snap-in Carpet

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 16:51   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Rugs are critical to making your poodles look good. We put down the oreintals in port and at anchor. Way too slipery under way and I wouldn't risk permanent wet places with glued in place. We use the tacky stay-put stuff under the throw rugs. It all rolls up under way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9050096.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	34988   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7030002.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	388.4 KB
ID:	34989  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote