Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 14:58   #511

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Any early retirees turned cruisers with big careers have regrets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I'm not sure what makes you think I'm upset about you not wanting to go cruising.
What?

I cruise all the time, and it can be enjoyable at times but I don't enjoy lightning.

I think the wind gusts hit around 45 knots in these first two videos. I was lucky to have gotten close to shore and anchored before it hit with sails down.

BTW, I got in as close as I could before the squall hit with my 4' draft. The bay is quite shallow in many places.

Thankfully I had a 20 lb CQR for an anchor......that came with my $2,000 sailboat.

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 15:28   #512

But I don't mean to discourage anyone.

This was two days later and on the Eastern side of the Bay. (same cruise!) Near Smith's Beach and the Vortac Station.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sm...!4d-75.9902114

Old 01-12-2020, 15:43   #513
CLOD

Boat: none

So what?
Old 01-12-2020, 15:49   #514

Boat: Looking now!

Lol, ignored, but all of your responses are entertaining.
Mook1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 15:50   #515

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
So what?
Exactly!

So what?

I'm still working and cannot spend months and months at a marina along the ICW posting on CF like you.......a real cruiser!

Yep, I work and only cruise a little, but when I do it's not motoring along the ICW which if I do go cruising long distance is something I dread.

The Chesapeake Bay is perfect for the working cruiser, and the first thing I plan to do when I start cruising when I retire is to explore it all.

A mile from my slip is 150 miles of Bay to the North, thousands of miles of Ocean to the East, and 20-30 miles wide as I head north.

Not a bad spot to prep for cruising.

Couple more shots of my $2,000 "cruising" sailboat before I painted the interior, installed LED Cabin Lamps, shades, custom made 6" settee cushion, and bought a new dodger, VHF/GPS/AIS, tiller, and built my chart plotter with a Raspberry Pi 4 Computer and 19" HDTV

Old 01-12-2020, 16:04   #516
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Exactly!

So what?

I'm still working and cannot spend months and months at a marina along the ICW posting on CF like you.......a real cruiser!
You are so clueless it is sad beyond funny. You are a jealous wishabe/ never to happen, who spends more time tied to a dock each month than i do in a year.

If you really believed you were so great you wouldn't spend as much time trying to convince people you are right and they were wrong. You are nothing but a “T” word I am not allowed to say with a sad life you justify on a forum in hope of convincing someone other than yourself. Has anyone on this thread ever taken your side, or have they told you how wrong you are?
Old 01-12-2020, 16:54   #517

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

The title of this thread is “Any early retirees turned cruisers with big careers have regrets?”

By your own words you are not:[LIST][*] early (defined as prior to age ~50)[*] retired[*] turned a cruiser (implicitly full time, without land ties, and travelling large distances from ‘home’)[*] in a big career (actually unknown and I really don’t care if you earn more than the $250K level the OP gave, and I really don’t want you to document your incredible career once again)[*] having regrets (you enjoy your career and are still in it)

Notice how your experience and comments are completely irrelevant to this thread?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 18:16   #518

Boat: Bali 4.0

This is truly maddening/mind-numbing... I suddenly remember why I quit logging in/posting for a long while.

Are there no forum moderators here that can simply kick someone out of a thread (or the forum) for blatant hijacking and incessant unrelated rambling ad nauseam??
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 21:06   #519

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

I’m a CPA who had a practice in Texas. I sold my practice, the house, the car the kids (wait- didn’t sell the kids) at 52 and we went cruising for a few years. A combination of those sales, a well-producing practice, good investments, and a comfortable but careful lifestyle allowed me to stay retired. I figure that with continued work and investment income I said goodbye to an additional $3 million. I have never regretted it.
I have CPA friends who did nothing of the sort. I have watched the focus of their horizons become more narrow by the year, to the point that they go into the office 365 days a year. They have increased their net worth handsomely. The health of most of them has deteriorated so that only their heirs will get to enjoy the fruits of their efforts. doubt they enjoy life more than a fraction of what they did in their twenties.
After our multi-year cruise was over we returned to Texas. I had ample time to tutor my son thru the college class that was a barrier to graduation. I did the same with my daughter. I had no restrictions on helping and attending to my parents in their final illnesses. My wife and I have since been (by plane) to Europe several times. I have increased my involvement with civic organizations and church. I dabbled in a couple small boutique businesses(means lotsa fun, no money). We still sail a lot in a fabulous boat.
Since I took the green eyeshade off 20 years ago the only thing I miss is the people contact of my clients. But my life is eminently more richer and varied than it ever was in the years of the 9-to-5.
As trite and cliche’d as it sounds there are simply some things beyond price.
Old 01-12-2020, 21:15   #520

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^^^
Nice history, Mickey. Those who have actually "trod the boards" will appreciate it and perhaps you will inspire someone teetering on the brow of the slippery slope.

Jim
Old 01-12-2020, 21:21   #521

Re: Any early retirees turnerd cruisers with big careers have regrets?

I have to thank you for your response.. I'm an airline pilot, $300,000 + a year and was thinking of going away.. I've got 7 years left until forced out, age 65.. I think I'll bid Miami, sail the Caribbean and only work 6-9 days or so a month.. commute from what ever island I happen to be on then take a crossing on at 65.. cheers
Michaeld61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 00:32   #522

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeld61 View Post
I have to thank you for your response.. I'm an airline pilot, $300,000 + a year and was thinking of going away.. I've got 7 years left until forced out, age 65.. I think I'll bid Miami, sail the Caribbean and only work 6-9 days or so a month.. commute from what ever island I happen to be on then take a crossing on at 65.. cheers
Now THAT is an enviable position for a wannabe cruiser! Go for it and enjoy!

Jim
Old 02-12-2020, 03:02   #523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
Since I took the green eyeshade off 20 years ago the only thing I miss is the people contact of my clients. But my life is eminently more richer and varied than it ever was in the years of the 9-to-5.

As trite and cliche’d as it sounds there are simply some things beyond price.
Cant say I've ever stumbled upon this reference before but I think it just became a part of my common vocabulary!!

Thanks for sharing your awesome story, and GOOD FOR YOU!
Old 02-12-2020, 03:05   #524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeld61 View Post
If I'm reading between the lines here that "forced out at 65" means you actually enjoy what you do (in addition to being handsomely paid for it)... than it's hard to imagine a much more enviable position.

Find the islands with a reliable (enough) airports to comment to and from and you're all set!! See you when you get here!!
Old 02-12-2020, 04:23   #525

This is a nice place to anchor and is only about 4 hours from my marina.

I came in from the West though on this particular weekend cruise.

I'm drying out and charging up the batteries after a cockpit bath. Got soaked earlier beaching the kayak before the winds laid down. Then took a long hike.

This is just an example of what coastal living/cruising can be like and you can continue to work if that is your thing or if you simply think it's too early to retire.

Later before the wind comes up, I'll move up close to the sunken ships protection and anchor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	227996   Click image for larger version

Name:	K2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	227997  

Click image for larger version

Name:	K3.jpg