Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old 27-11-2020, 04:49   #436

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Any early retirees turned cruisers with big careers have regrets?

My point exactly as far as time goes.

In some jobs, you have time to study. In the 80's I made extra money by going to college and getting a degree in History/Math using the GI Bill. Most of the studying I did at work.

Then in the 90's I spent lots of time at work studying Sailboat racing. I spent months and months on that.

So a lot of this retirement and time business depends on what you can do while you are actually on the job.

Now days we have a gym down the hall so on breaks or at lunch etc you can get in a workout.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 04:54   #437
CLOD

Boat: none

Guess working is less stressful if you just don't work
Old 27-11-2020, 04:57   #438
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Why would someone who isn't working or that has retired early be concerned with what others that are working are doing and much less be laughing about it?

Confirmation bias is a powerful emotion
Old 27-11-2020, 04:59   #439
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

Yeah. Most of those Jobs end up on dole eventually
Old 27-11-2020, 05:01   #440
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
My point exactly as far as time goes.

In some jobs, you have time to study. In the 80's I made extra money by going to college and getting a degree in History/Math using the GI Bill. Most of the studying I did at work.

Then in the 90's I spent lots of time at work studying Sailboat racing. I spent months and months on that.

So a lot of this retirement and time business depends on what you can do while you are actually on the job.

Now days we have a gym down the hall so on breaks or at lunch etc you can get in a workout.

By the way I find raising sail and moving to another beautiful anchorage way better then sweating it on a treadmill in a room with other sweaty people

Just saying
Old 27-11-2020, 05:21   #441

Re: Any early retirees turnerd cruisers with big careers have regrets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You probably cut out most responders when you say a $250k annual income with very low stress pace. Not sure their are a lot of those low stress positions around.
And, I wouldn't call a job where your customers will occasionally try to kill you for no good reason a low stress job.

Office worker: I was in a hell of a fight today.

First responder: Guns or knives?

Office worker: Uh, really mean words.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 05:27   #442

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
The cruiser's reply was short and simple. "It's damn hard to choke down more than $10 worth of corn meal mush in a week."
When that's the logic I follow, I'll just go commit a felony or two. Food apparently is better in prison.

If you are on some mission to see how horribly, you can live, have at it...but I think you will find you are by far the exception among cruisers.

99% of cruisers out there doing it on the cheap would up their lifestyle in a heartbeat if they had the cash to do so. Problem is you can't poll them about it because they will be defensive and lie about it.

PS: A lot of people read some of this BS and think they can't go "cruising" because they aren't tough enough or worse, they try cruising and 3-6months later find they hate it...because they are trying to cruise the "right way" and it's just tiring and no fun.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 05:38   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
By the way I find raising sail and moving to another beautiful anchorage way better then sweating it on a treadmill in a room with other sweaty people

Just saying
Yeah, I don't do treadmills and am only in the gym (weight room) when there's no one else in there which is usually anytime after 3 pm. Running and walking is done on the trails through the woods down the street.

Raising sail is after work or on the weekends.......and stopping by the boat is a daily thing as it is between home and work.....

Again, I was lucky to have been transferred back to the coast (Gulf Coast) in the mid 90's. In Tennessee, the boats (beach cats) were a 45 minute drive away to Mississippi from Memphis, TN
Old 27-11-2020, 06:58   #444
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Yeah, I don't do treadmills and am only in the gym (weight room) when there's no one else in there which is usually anytime after 3 pm. Running and walking is done on the trails through the woods down the street.

Raising sail is after work or on the weekends.......and stopping by the boat is a daily thing as it is between home and work.....

Again, I was lucky to have been transferred back to the coast (Gulf Coast) in the mid 90's. In Tennessee, the boats (beach cats) were a 45 minute drive away to Mississippi from Memphis, TN
There is no right or wrong way, place, temperature or water density when messing around with boats......

https://youtu.be/LSS70G2t2H8
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 07:21   #445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
There is no right or wrong way, place, temperature or water density when messing around with boats......

https://youtu.be/LSS70G2t2H8
Yep, one of the best beach cat racers in the nationals was a guy from Michigan that learned sailing on ice boats!
Old 27-11-2020, 07:26   #446

Boat: Hanse 430e

I retired in 2016 at the age of 52. It was because I realized that there is not enough daylight left in my life to do all the things or go the the places I want to do/go. I had enough work and realized I had enough money. The wife decided a few months later that she wanted something different and so she left. I had to adjust a few things as a result of the divorce. smaller boat that I could single hand became more important. Adjusting my RTW schedule because of covid has also made an impact.

There is no way to make more time. foolish people think that there will be enough time.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 09:43   #447

Quote:
In the kind of work I used to do as a full time tech, there was lots of dead time.

We maintained electronic and computer systems which means if the systems were up and running and all spares are fixed you can do other things like read or study.......

These days guys watch youtube or netflicks especially when I'm not there since everyone has a computer

But everyone did have to get their cert or lose their job.

Also today as most here know electronic and computer systems are much more reliable and even if it does break most times you just replace a circuit card.

There's very little to almost no troubleshooting these days to component level. It's just replaced the board, cisco switch, KVM, etc then send it off to get it repaired.

Also many systems today are proprietary so you can't even get the schematics or theory of operation.

Some of my techs don't know what an o'scope is but they know cyber security and every single thing a computer can do so they can fix most software problems.

Most of our large 24-72 battery APC or Liebert (Vertiv) UPS Units are maintained by the seller but sometimes we will replace a few batteries or a burnt up curcuit card if we have a spare
Old 27-11-2020, 09:48   #448

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Yup. That's been our experience 100%.

But... working for yourself and setting your own hours/salary (while doing something you love enough you'd do it for free) is pretty close behind it.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 09:56   #449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogscout View Post
I retired in 2016 at the age of 52. It was because I realized that there is not enough daylight left in my life to do all the things or go the the places I want to do/go. I had enough work and realized I had enough money. The wife decided a few months later that she wanted something different and so she left. I had to adjust a few things as a result of the divorce. smaller boat that I could single hand became more important. Adjusting my RTW schedule because of covid has also made an impact.

There is no way to make more time. foolish people think that there will be enough time.
I don't think you can call people foolish since they do not want to spend time on a boat or an RV and divorce their wife to do so.......

Some folks actually like working and being around others. I'm not that guy, but I do see a lot of them at work.

One guy, a software tech on the old main frame systems that just went offline, just retired at 80 years old. I have a tech now who is 70 and plans at least 5 more years of working but luckily for him he loves being a computer/electronics/cyber security tech. He has the certs and the knowledge to do all legally
Old 27-11-2020, 10:06   #450

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Why would someone who isn't working or that has retired early be concerned with what others that are working are doing and much less be laughing about it?
I am concerned when they all turn up on a Friday night/Saturday morning and crowd me in with their 1, 2, 3 million dollar boats and desperately try and relax by making as much noise and as big a scene as possible.
It can't go unnoticed , blue underwater lights apparently equates to happiness.

I laugh and give them a wave when they all pull up anchor on Sunday as they head off back to work to pay off their huge debts, marina berths etc and breathe a sigh of relief as I get the anchorage to myself and normality returns.
Have fun at work.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser