Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old 26-12-2019, 04:05   #211

Re: Any early retirees turnerd cruisers with big careers have regrets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I agree, great post!

But I'm thinking it's not about not going cruising, it's about going cruising for a while if you can afford to and then restarting!

Or continuing.

These folks have earned enough to retire but continue to do what they do.

Think about why?

What Shirley Manson is doing on stage at 53 years old in the second video is similar to running a 1/2 marathon.

First video mid 90's . Second 2019.

I think a lot of people continue to do what they are conditioned to do, without ever really stopping to think about the reasons they do it. No one wants to consider the very real possibility that the reason they live their life, cradle to grave, in the exact same manner and schedule as everyone around them, or even more disturbing, that the way they live their whole life, might simply be the result of very successful marketing campaigns by others wanting to sell them things, augmented by simple peer pressure.

Most people live the way we are brought up being told we should live. I know I sure did for a very long time. College, check, law school, check, good job, check, long hours, check, fancy cars, check, big house, check, lots of debt, check, platinum Amex, check, happiness and contentment that I had “chosen” the right path in life, ...

I run into friends on a constant basis who drive $80,000 SUVs, and live in houses that are about ten times bigger than they actually need, who can’t understand how we pick up and go live in a place for six months that they fly to and blow through in one week once or twice a year..

The secret about cruising is simply that it has to be a priority in your life. If it is, you will go, if it is not, you won’t. The reasons for either position matter not.
Old 26-12-2019, 04:37   #212

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I think a lot of people continue to do what they are conditioned to do, without ever really stopping to think about the reasons they do it. No one wants to consider the very real possibility that the reason they live their life, cradle to grave, in the exact same manner and schedule as everyone around them, or even more disturbing, that the way they live their whole life, might simply be the result of very successful marketing campaigns by others wanting to sell them things, augmented by simple peer pressure.

Most people live the way we are brought up being told we should live. I know I sure did for a very long time. College, check, law school, check, good job, check, long hours, check, fancy cars, check, big house, check, lots of debt, check, platinum Amex, check, happiness and contentment that I had “chosen” the right path in life, ...

I run into friends on a constant basis who drive $80,000 SUVs, and live in houses that are about ten times bigger than they actually need, who can’t understand how we pick up and go live in a place for six months that they fly to and blow through in one week once or twice a year..

The secret about cruising is simply that it has to be a priority in your life. If it is, you will go, if it is not, you won’t. The reasons for either position matter not.
The conditioning thing is true to a point I believe, but I don't believe most on here especially those of us 55 and above really get taken in with the marketing thing anymore because as you said been there, done that each in his own tax bracket.

Which in the USA usually means military or college (or both), job, marriage/home/kids/divorce, kid's college, a few new cars, clothes, furniture, ........ sailboats!

Many of us don't wait and have boats and are on the water the entire time.

In later years, we spend about as much time cruising as we want but we will retire at some point and there needs to be a plan like where to cruise to, hike to, and/or drive to or do you just stay local and own like 6-8 old dogs, a few cats, and plant a garden then train for the senior's triathlon or just a long cycling event.

Some get thrown curve balls along the way with major illness of self or family members, taking care of Mom and Dad, loss of job and so forth which is another reason for sailing/cruising throughout the whole "journey" of life if that is your thing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81435775_2505369893068332_6602845531301478400_n (1).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	458.3 KB
ID:	205672  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 05:25   #213

Quote:
The conditioning thing is true to a point I believe, but I don't believe most on here especially those of us 55 and above really get taken in with the marketing thing anymore because as you said been there, done that each in his own tax bracket.

Which in the USA usually means military or college (or both), job, marriage/home/kids/divorce, kid's college, a few new cars, clothes, furniture, ........ sailboats!

Many of us don't wait and have boats and are on the water the entire time.

In later years, we spend about as much time cruising as we want but we will retire at some point and there needs to be a plan like where to cruise to, hike to, and/or drive to or do you just stay local and own like 6-8 old dogs, a few cats, and plant a garden then train for the senior's triathlon or just a long cycling event.

Some get thrown curve balls along the way with major illness of self or family members, taking care of Mom and Dad, loss of job and so forth which is another reason for sailing/cruising throughout the whole "journey" of life if that is your thing
As I said,
Quote:
Old 26-12-2019, 05:50   #214

Quote:
As I said, the secret about cruising is simply that it has to be a priority in your life. If it is, you will go, if it is not, you won’t. The reasons for either position matter not
There is another secret which is to prioritize and cruise/sail throughout your whole life so there's no real need to suddenly retire early and go cruising long distance when that can be saved for a later perhaps
Old 01-01-2020, 01:48   #215

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Nah, I think people who continue to do what they've always done after they no longer need to is because they LIKE it. I hated my job and left as soon as I could but others enjoyed it and see no reason to leave. I loved cruising for 5 years but now that we've stopped I have to find other things to do. I don't criticize people who love what they do and keep doing it. That's what life is about - doing what you like. Those who make big bucks doing that are the lucky ones.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:08   #216

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

my life situation doesn't resemble yours all so much..., but, with the idea to contribute, i think this might give you an interesting perspective:

Cruising Blues and Their Cure by Robert M Pirsig

wolfgal
Old 01-01-2020, 07:12   #217

I think that we are all responsible for our own happiness and growth. As long as it doesn't take away from anyone else, and we are kind, we should be free to do as we please.

Counting other people's money, gauging "ball size" or judging their decisions is unproductive and negative. I hate it when I hear it.

There is a danger when you ask someone else's opinion regarding a decision that you are making.

The herd is society. That said, nobody "wants" you to go cruising. It diminishes the herd when you go. It introduces change. It threatens those who stay.

They question how they will be without you ... and if you are successful, they question themselves for not making a similar decision. It is a tug of war between two primal urges. To explore and to remain safe in the herd.

The way that I look at it, for those who are out there "doing it" away from the herd, living the dream, when you ask the question, they are evaluating whether you have what it takes to be a resource for them, should something happen, while living the life of freedom.....which in itself is herd mentality. "Are you qualified to be a member of their herd". Are you as good as me? Do you have what it takes? What is your experience? It is still a herd mentality, just more spread out and unpredictable.

It is great material for a passionate discussion, but there is no right answer except the one you make for yourself.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:17   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
I think that we are all responsible for our own happiness and growth. As long as it doesn't take away from anyone else, and we are kind, we should be free to do as we please.

Counting other people's money, gauging "ball size" or judging their decisions is unproductive and negative. I hate it when I hear it.

There is a danger when you ask someone else's opinion regarding a decision that you are making.

The herd is society. That said, nobody "wants" you to go cruising. It diminishes the herd when you go. It introduces change. It threatens those who stay.

They question how they will be without you ... and if you are successful, they question themselves for not making a similar decision. It is a tug of war between two primal urges. To explore and to remain safe in the herd.

The way that I look at it, for those who are out there "doing it" away from the herd, living the dream, when you ask the question, they are evaluating whether you have what it takes to be a resource for them, should something happen, while living the life of freedom.....which in itself is herd mentality. "Are you qualified to be a member of their herd". Are you as good as me? Do you have what it takes? What is your experience? It is still a herd mentality, just more spread out and unpredictable.

It is great material for a passionate discussion, but there is no right answer except the one you make for yourself.
Beautifully stated.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:31   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post

This herding reference is sort of hypocritical since many cruisers end up "herding up" at various marinas and anchorages in the same areas and just sort of hanging out...…..with their herd

Also, many of us that aren't "doing it" are simply to busy supporting our families or maybe just are not ready for the slow pace of retirement

Then also there are those that worry about "just going" and afraid that once they drop out of "normal" society they will not be able to catch back up for physical reasons or that technology has simply passed them by

It's a tough decision either way but we have seen here on CF that there's no great change in the individual from before he left to cruise and when he is cruising. His computer has just been relocated

Then there are those of us that refuse to belong to any herd for long whether we are cruising or not...…

And like you said, there is no right answer. Everyone is different.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:38   #220

Quote:
This herding reference is sort of hypocritical since many cruisers end up "herding up" at various marinas and anchorages in the same areas and just sort of hanging out...…..with their herd

Also, many of us that aren't "doing it" are simply to busy supporting our families or maybe just are not ready for the slow pace of retirement

Then also there are those that worry about "just going" and afraid that once they drop out of "normal" society they will not be able to catch back up for physical reasons or that technology has simply passed them by

It's a tough decision either way but we have seen here on CF that there's no great change in the individual from before he left to cruise and when he is cruising. His computer has just been relocated

Then there are those of us that refuse to belong to any herd for long whether we are cruising or not...…

And like you said, there is no right answer. Everyone is different.
I have to say, you write like someone, who is trying to justify their particular decision. You don't.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:49   #221

Quote:
I have to say, you write like someone, who is trying to justify their particular decision. You don't.
And you and others write like you are some type of superior being if you drop out of society and herd up with other cruisers.

I have already spend lots of time on the water so I know the deal. I know the ups and downs. The highs and the lows.

And I have observed the "busy" cruisers working on their so called system problems here on CF and it worries me a bit.

Its similar to the old guy saying "get out of my yard you rotten kids." The grass has some how become more important than it was when his kids were young and they and all there friends played on it everyday

It's because their world has become small and little things that were not important once suddenly become the most pressing thing of the day

I have tried to prepare for my cruises this year by buying a beginner sextant and an old calculator to play with plus more books and hopefully we will have more big wind days especially for when I get bored and want to get back

Then there are always the batteries and solar to play with. (see solar threads!) I have 4 panels and 3-4 controllers that still work. A couple of my $12.00 Chinese PWM controllers failed over the years (2-3 are PWM)

And lastly my sister retired maybe 20 years ago (when she was mid 40's) and she and her husband went to the Bahamas. (35' power yacht) After a few months of fishing, diving, and hanging at the marina and on the boat she became bored and went back to maintaining their home and property up here and maybe worked part time at first. He stayed and went back and forth usually where the best weather was. He has a 44' Power Yacht now and was keeping it at Man-O-War Cay Bahamas ….I believe except he had it up here during the hurricane last year

One more point. I was a sailboat racer as many on here know and had to deal with (!) since 1992 so the transition to cruiser since 2011 has been difficult at times.

Maybe I should have bought a racer cruiser......instead of my Good Old Bristol 27, but now I can't seem to part with it. And it has gotten me out of a few difficult weather situations that I couldn't run from at 20 knots like in the past
Old 01-01-2020, 08:17   #222
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Happy New Year everyone

https://youtu.be/F8TRoMSG-5I
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:44   #223

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:

It's because their world has become small and little things that were not important once suddenly become the most pressing thing of the day

.......t
Sure, a cruisers world becomes so small as they cruise through dozens of countries.
You have a such a provincial view of cruisers - do you think they all sit on the ICW bitch all day? Or are those the small group you are attracted to or like to focus on?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:11   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Sure, a cruisers world becomes so small as they cruise through dozens of countries.
You have a such a provincial view of cruisers - do you think they all sit on the ICW bitch all day? Or are those the small group you are attracted to or like to focus on?
I try to watch all the cruisers like I've been doing since 1996 when I got to the Gulf Coast

My space here was getting a bit small (1,000 sq ft) so I just took a bike ride over to my boat and on the way stopped at one of the boat yards.

There was what appeared to be an old Westsail 32 there but without the running back stays. Do some folks not hook those up?

Anyway, my situation may be different than some since I have such easy access to my boat and good cruising grounds.

I took the long way to my boat being a 14-15 mile ride due to all the water here. Straight shot main road it's about a bit over a mile to my boat.

It's 48 degrees here and we had one guy headed out sailing when I pedaled out onto the dock. His boat is like 25' maybe a U.S. Yacht 25. Wind is around 12-14 and it's sunny. Not bad for near 36 degrees North.

Btw solar was at 13.8 volts Float but I turned some stuff on and deployed some more panels. One wire had come loose from one of my PWM controllers as I did that so redid it. Float on that one is 14 volts so we'll see if it can handle the systems and make it back up and go to Float again with this low Sun

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2020, 10:34   #225

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
I try to watch all the cruisers like I've been doing since 1996 when I got to the Gulf Coast

My space here was getting a bit small (1,000 sq ft) so I just took a bike ride over to my boat and on the way stopped at one of the boat yards.

There was what appeared to be an old Westsail 32 there but without the running back stays. Do some folks not hook those up?

Anyway, my situation may be different than some since I have such easy access to my boat and good cruising grounds.

.....!
I have pretty easy access to my boat too, as I live on it. And it's not in a small world.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser