Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2021, 03:49   #676

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Any early retirees turned cruisers with big careers have regrets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I use that as an argument because it appears some are doing just that. My point was you can do that on land or sailing locally. You don't need to retire to do that sort of cruising. I'd say it's another adjustment for some.

And actually, I might not hang out at a marina for 6 months, but I am online on my boat even on my short cruises with my Raspberry Pi when I am in range using my phone as the hotspot. The Raspberry Pi is for my chart plotter and AIS, but it does fine on the internet too but can be a little harder to use with certain downloads.

I even have an HDTV (also used as my monitor) and antenna that picks up the weirdest old TV shows I haven't seen in years. I was watching The Munsters last time I was out anchored near where I could get a signal.

It's a hard habit too break this internet thing. I actually think it may have been easier back in the day to start cruising before the internet.

Today, we have become so used to using it, it's hard to suddenly not have it.

As far as defense contractors, geez where do I start.
Except the vast majority are not, so it is not much of an argument, is it?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:09   #677

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Except the vast majority are not, so it is not much of an argument, is it?
I guess it's about as good of an argument as those saying simply sailing the Chesapeake Bay isn't cruising.

The Bay is about 150 miles long and 30 miles wide at it's widest point with tons of creeks and small bays to explore. Then you have the mouth of the bay where it meets the Atlantic where things can get pretty hairy at times plus dealing with all the boating/shipping traffic coming in and out.

There's a thread on here now where a cruiser was asking about good spots to sail to on the Bay and a poster replied it would take you a lifetime to discover them all.......something like that.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ce-244917.html

I sail the Bay. It's a great place to sail/cruise especially for those of us still working.

It's such a good place "real" full time cruisers come here to explore it
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:17   #678

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
I guess it's about as good of an argument as those saying simply sailing the Chesapeake Bay isn't cruising.

The Bay is about 150 miles long and 30 miles wide at it's widest point with tons of creeks and small bays to explore. Then you have the mouth of the bay where it meets the Atlantic where things can get pretty hairy at times plus dealing with all the boating/shipping traffic coming in and out.

There's a thread on here now where a cruiser was asking about good spots to sail to on the Bay and a poster replied it would take you a lifetime to discover them all.......something like that.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ce-244917.html

I sail the Bay. It's a great place to sail/cruise especially for those of us still working.

It's such a good place "real" full time cruisers come here to explore it
So we agree, it is a very poor argument you are using.

If you are doing more than day sails or long weekend jaunts then sure, call it cruising if you like. It's super easy cruising where spare parts, provisioning, visas, help, places to avoid weather are pretty much simplistic. But still an enjoyable place to cruise.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:39   #679
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Above all else....not your financial capability, but your health is the one single thing over which you have little or no control....it really has little to do with age, but the odds start going against you with each year.....it takes a certain amount of physical activity to run a boat...and while you don't need to be a gym rat to accomplish boating, being a couch potato will not serve you well.

Plans that state " thinking about retiring in....2,3,4 years, etc" rarely bear fruit...a lot can happen in this time.

There is little point coming to a CF and chit-chatting about it. Either do it, or don't do it, you don't need anyone's permission or hand holding !!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:40   #680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
So we agree, it is a very poor argument you are using.

If you are doing more than day sails or long weekend jaunts then sure, call it cruising if you like. It's super easy cruising where spare parts, provisioning, visas, help, places to avoid weather are pretty much simplistic. But still an enjoyable place to cruise.
No not necessarily especially when some that are sitting at a marina for months and months are making all these judgements as to who and who is not a "real" cruiser.

Sail/motoring down the East Coast here and maybe over to the Bahamas is not that big a sail. Many beginners have done it. Island hopping not much different.

Point is the Bay allows those of us that live on it the opportunity to enjoy sailing/cruising while also working, and it's a great way to prepare for those that might want to do some full time cruising in the future.

As far as spare parts, provisioning goes, you also learn about that as things break over the years and provisioning can still be a pain.

Yes, it's easier to get the parts but so far I haven't needed anything that would have stopped me to make repairs on a long distance cruise except a couple times one being when I broke my tiller in half. I do have a 2 x 4 onboard though that I could have rigged as a tiller. As it was here though, I steered the boat in close with the sails then used the outboard when I got in close enough for smoother water. Winds were about 18 knots that day on the beam.

The other was when my autopilot shaft came out. Later I discovered you could just screw it back in but I steered the 40 miles home that day and now have both of my old autopilots working plus now have items onboard to setup sheet to tiller steering

Also as a tech, I'm used to improvising when the proper part isn't available.

Now would I replace my old rigging or get two more sets of reef points in my mainsail if I were going to be sailing far and wide? Definitely!

I plan to also add AIS transmit instead of just receiving like I have now plus an EchoMax Active XS Radar Reflector that generates an alarm in the cabin when painted by radar.

The biggest adjustment will be can I adjust to just being stuck on the boat for more than a week?

Life is very fast paced ashore so that will be an adjustment.

My plan is to sail the Chesapeake first Bridge to Bridge while exploring both the Western shores and Eastern then head to Oriental, NC. From there back down to Morehead City/Cape Lookout where I live in the 70's then coming back up on the outside around the Outer Banks.

Now I would consider that a nice little cruise to see if it would work for me .....and that would all be singlehanded
Old 11-01-2021, 07:53   #681

One of the funniest things we kept seeing on our cruise, was all the people, who had been getting ready forever, but just couldn't pull the trigger.

We stopped in Marathon once, at a marina, to grab some provisions. In the slip next to us, was a Tayana 37 that looked like it had every thing West Marine ever sold bolted it to it.

The couple asked us where we were going, and we said, we're heading to the Bahamas next.

They said there getting ready to go, too. I said, maybe we'll see you over there. They said, "We have a little bit more to do to get the boat ready." I looked at it, it looked ready to me, and asked how long they been in Marathon, and they told, me "Five years".

I asked, "You've been getting ready to go to the Bahamas for five years?"

They said, "Yes."

I pointed east and said, "You realize it's just right over there right?"
Old 11-01-2021, 10:03   #682

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
I'm sure it does seem exciting for you as you are still a beginner.

What you have been on boats now for 2 years or so? That's great. Nothing wrong with that but it's just a start.

You have lots to learn. Enjoy.

I started more than 50 years ago and bought my first boat at age 16 in the early 70's after having been on other peoples boats since the mid 60's.
Ah but you'd once again be mistaken and missing the big picture Thomm.

I'm not only talking about cruising being exciting and fulfilling (though it very much is)...
Im talking about LIFE (specifically life after early retirement).

While we have indeed just started our cruising journey a bit over 2 years ago, that is only half the equation the rest of us are trying to maintain focus on in this thread.

The other half is "life after early retirement", which we happen to be pretty well versed at having walked away from our jobs in our mid-30s.

You could (or I presume will) also state that I'm a rookie at that as well... but I would actually argue that 10years of early retirement is more years of it than most people will ever experience in their lifetime... and assuming I make it to 68 when I would have retired, I'll have another 24years at it (let's hope I both see that number... and by then have it all perfected).

But you're almost right... diversity is the best of both worlds!
That's exactly why we spent the first 7years living in a van and traveling full time by land (from the arctic ocean to panama and back again); why we've continually sought out opportunities to learn new skills, new languages, experience new people/cultures and countless other things we knew nothing about before.

We followed every passion and whim we've had and have continually chosen happiness and adventure over money and security which has led to amazing experiences daily from travel to learning new skillsets to starting a few businesses that we'd happily do for free (and often do) to giving back and helping others and eventually/now toward our lifelong dream of living aboard and cruising new and different places and cultures.

Please Thomm, do us all a favor and save your condescending "voice of wisdom/experience" for a sailing thread where you actually have experience on your side.

I'll be the first to admit to being a rookie at just about everything in life (I like it that way) - but at least in the two topics this thread has been attempting to focus on - even my "newbie" status trumps your armchair quarterbacking.

Now... where's that damn ignore button everybody's been telling me about
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:37   #683

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post
Ah but you'd once again be mistaken and missing the big picture Thomm.

I'm not only talking about cruising being exciting and fulfilling (though it very much is)...
Im talking about LIFE (specifically life after early retirement).

While we have indeed just started our cruising journey a bit over 2 years ago, that is only half the equation the rest of us are trying to maintain focus on in this thread.

The other half is "life after early retirement", which we happen to be pretty well versed at having walked away from our jobs in our mid-30s.

You could (or I presume will) also state that I'm a rookie at that as well... but I would actually argue that 10years of early retirement is more years of it than most people will ever experience in their lifetime... and assuming I make it to 68 when I would have retired, I'll have another 24years at it (let's hope I both see that number... and by then have it all perfected).

That's exactly why we spent the first 7years living in a van and traveling full time by land (from the arctic ocean to panama and back again); why we've continually sought out opportunities to learn new skills, new languages, experience new people/cultures and countless other things we knew nothing about before.

We followed every passion and whim we've had and have continually chosen happiness and adventure over money and security which has led to amazing experiences daily from travel to learning new skillsets to starting a few businesses that we'd happily do for free (and often do) to giving back and helping others and eventually/now toward our lifelong dream of living aboard and cruising new and different places and cultures.

Please Thomm, do us all a favor and save your condescending "voice of wisdom/experience" for a sailing thread where you actually have experience on your side.

I'll be the first to admit to being a rookie at just about everything in life (I like it that way) - but at least in the two topics this thread has been attempting to focus on - even my "newbie" status trumps your armchair quarterbacking.

Now... where's that damn ignore button everybody's been telling me about
Why does no one want to get retirement advice from a guy who doesn't know how to retire?
Old 11-01-2021, 12:41   #684

So I was considering retiring early, but as I've said we had a family medical problem pop up.

I was actually going to look at an Allied 36 ketch when I got the call. That was in 2014.

Anyone that has been through that knows the deal.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:55   #685

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post
I sort of did that also but was working (and learning on the job IFF/Radar Tech: PAR and ASR) the entire time.

The desert in Arizona was the best part, and we didn't just drive through or LIVE IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER! (that would be the Colorado River)

No, we lived there (Yuma, AZ) a couple years in an apartment. I was 22 years old when I got there. The trip across the US was great and paid for by the taxpayers.

It was enjoyable living just above Mexico.

We would be out dove hunting and would encounter illegals coming in from Mexico. Border patrol drug the road with their K5 Blazers

Speaking of learning the culture, sometimes we'd go over to Mexico and get hammered drunk on Tecate Beer and tequila.

It was great but a little toasty when it got up around 107 degrees or so.

We also caught catfish nearby ......it was quite fun and they had Coors beer on our side the border. Back then you couldn't get Coor East of the Mississippi River.
Old 11-01-2021, 13:52   #686

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Speaking of learning the culture, sometimes we'd go over to Mexico and get hammered drunk on Tecate Beer and tequila.
What a wonderful envoy you made...

In the event that you ever go cruising to a foreign country, I do hope that you change your "learning the culture" style.

Jim
Old 11-01-2021, 14:00   #687

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

In the event that you ever go cruising to a foreign country, I do hope that you change your "learning the culture" style.

Jim
My thoughts... word for word
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 14:04   #688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
I was 22 and in the Marines. My cohorts were 18 to 23 years of age.

It was sort of expected, but I have changed ....... a little in the 40 plus years since then

But my Spanish did come in handy and living there actually helped me later in college. I had two years of it in High school and 4 semesters in college.

Oh yeah, I went to college in my late 20's and got a BA in History at age 33 with I'd say a minor in Math and Computer Science.

The real learning though took place when I switched over to the liberal arts.

And btw, I was working full time while I went to college (paid for by GI Bill) ....... you know sort of like now in that I cruise but still work full time.
Old 11-01-2021, 14:29   #689

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Above all else....not your financial capability, but your health is the one single thing over which you have little or no control....it really has little to do with age,
Plans that state " thinking about retiring in....2,3,4 years, etc" rarely bear fruit...a lot can happen in this time.

There is little point coming to a CF and chit-chatting about it. Either do it, or don't do it, you don't need anyone's permission or hand holding !!
Go as soon as you can ! Go 5 years ahead of your plans if possible !
I bought a boat cheap! Needed an engine! Took a summer to rip out the atomic 4 and fuel tank and replace with a diesel Year two have to have a quadruple heart bypass surgery. year 3 covid-19 hit us. Who knew ! Year 4 (2021)covid-19 is still crippling the travel scene. May get a chance for some day or week sailing. Year 5, I'm hoping to splash and head for blue water. I'm not getting any younger ! The years seem to be flying by as a senior. I don't know if I'll ever sail the ocean blue for sure !
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 05:30   #690

Quote:
:
Originally Posted by MicHughV
Above all else....not your financial capability, but your health is the one single thing over which you have little or no control....it really has little to do with age,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
Go as soon as you can ! Go 5 years ahead of your plans if possible !
I bought a boat cheap! Needed an engine! Took a summer to rip out the atomic 4 and fuel tank and replace with a diesel Year two have to have a quadruple heart bypass surgery. year 3 covid-19 hit us. Who knew ! Year 4 (2021)covid-19 is still crippling the travel scene. May get a chance for some day or week sailing. Year 5, I'm hoping to splash and head for blue water. I'm not getting any younger ! The years seem to be flying by as a senior. I don't know if I'll ever sail the ocean blue for sure !
Yep. If you want to do it, go do it.

No one knows how much time is left in their time bank.

Tags
cruise, cruiser