Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2022, 06:54   #1

Boat: Catamaran Leopard 44 2014
AMSA registration while in Delivery to Australia

I'm Australian citizen and I will bring a boat from Indonesia; I will start the AMSA registration once underway, so not sure if by the time I reach Australia (Darwin more likely) I will have all terminated.
Anyone has an idea of timing to get the registration done? or does it need to be all finished or just started before arrival?

The AMSA guidelines is clear on the process but not the timing and looking at all the originals and couriers involved nut sure how long they take once they receive the information.

Please if anyone have done this recently I really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks in advance

Martin
CatAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 14:20   #2

Re: AMSA registration while in Delivery to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAdventure View Post
I'm Australian citizen and I will bring a boat from Indonesia; I will start the AMSA registration once underway, so not sure if by the time I reach Australia (Darwin more likely) I will have all terminated.

Anyone has an idea of timing to get the registration done? or does it need to be all finished or just started before arrival?

The AMSA guidelines is clear on the process but not the timing and looking at all the originals and couriers involved nut sure how long they take once they receive the information.

Please if anyone have done this recently I really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks in advance

Martin

My last Australian registration took 4 months and a lot of work to establish the chain of ownership because that vessel, though built in Australia had never previously been registered .... anywhere.
The 3 previous ownerships had muddied the waters a bit but finally I got the registration and marking note. AMSA were good to deal with and the delays were caused mostly by the boat’s opaque history.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 17:31   #3

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

Ours didn't take too long, less than a month I think. But ownership was clear, and previous registration in another country was still extant.
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2022, 05:56   #4

Quote:

The AMSA guidelines is clear on the process but not the timing and looking at all the originals and couriers involved nut sure how long they take once they receive the information....
We are currently in the process of applying for an Australian ship register with the AMSA. We bought our catamaran in Martinique (Eastern Caribbean) with a current French registration.
First we had to wait for the "Bill of Sale" on the purchase of the yacht. The broker we bought from arranged the French flag de-registration which took about 2 weeks after the sale. We also had to pay to get this certificate translated to english for AMSA so try and get english copy when they first apply to have it de-registered. The application to ASMA in Australia had to be posted (snail mail) with original documents. We didn't arrive on the yacht (bought sight unseen) for a month after the purchase. We first applied while still in Australia (with bank cheque of fees) and electronic copies of ASMA form 168 application and 208 declaration. ASMA received and processed our application within 23 days including Australia post delivery (who knows how long that was?). The reply back via email from ASMA was fairly quick to request missing/incorrect information on the application and original or certified copies.
We sent ASMA by registered mail from Martinique (€80) our original documents for the Bill of Sale (english), updated application, and Fountain Pajot builders certificate. They accepted our translated (€100) French de-registration via email.
The registered mail from Martinique took about a week to get there and ASMA processed within 1-2 days, replied by email and requested an original builders certificate on AMSA Builders Certificate form 211 from Fountain Pajot. We got a contact from our broker for Fountaine Pajot and they were quick to get back to us and advise application fee (€250) and would post direct to ASMA.
ASMA replied to us 6 days later to advise we need to complete a "Marking Note" to declare we have labelled our boat with requirements of...
The name of the ship shall be marked on each of the ships bows and the ships name and the name of the home port must be marked on the stern, or as close to the stern as possible where stern markings are not possible. The letters shall be upright sans serif block capitals of a height of not less than 100mm and have a thickness of stroke from 20% to 25% of letter height. The official number, the number denoting the register (RT) Net Tonnage (NT) or the Length Overall (LOA) where the ship is not measured for tonnage, shall be cut in the main beam, a main structural member of other integral part, under the upper deck of the ship.
They requested the original document for this as well.
On receipt of the certified and witnessed Marking Note your application may be progressed.
Once the registration for our boat is finalised, the registration certificate will be sent by registered post to our address unless we advise otherwise. If we would like the certificate to be couriered (this is preferred for overseas addresses) an additional fee applies ($80)
We are currently up to this process and once we "Mark"" our boat will send the original document to them. Hopefully this will be all they require to complete our application.
This has been our process so far but check with current regulations and process on ASMA website.

Looking back to speed up the process as soon as the sale goes through I would get the de-registration, builders form 211, bill of sale ASMA application 168 and declaration 204 forms and send original documents with bank check. Wait for application and request for marking of ship and send asap back registered mail to hopefully complete the registration.
Cruzier76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2022, 12:41   #5

Boat: Norseman 447

It is possible to get temporary registration to cover the voyage, As an Australian citizen your vessel must carry registration prior to departure, I’d be giving AMSA a call
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2022, 18:26   #6

No, AMSA does not give you any temporary registration. After spoke with everyone at AMSA I decided (after checking with border control at Darwin) that I did not need registration at all and sailed without registration to Darwin, enter Australia and then I can do the registration here. Still on delivery now but I have already cleared Darwin without problems. I have the bill of sale and the Deletion certificate from Malaysia, with all of this you can enter Australia and get insurance.
AMSA should change the way they work, it's very poor. Every time I rang them I went through 4 people and got no answers.
I was only coming from Jakarta anyway, I guess if you are far away may be worth the wait.
This is my experience with my own situation.
Old 22-11-2022, 20:51   #7

AMSA registration while in Delivery to Australia

I’m genuinely interested in the import duty status, did Customs give you a clear indication of how that will be defined and what percentage of the vessels value you’ll pay.... or have you already paid the duty. Having the AMSA registration already underway probably helped with the inbound clearance.
Nauticarchers reference to temporary registration might be more related to import duty suspension for a temporary visit by a cruising yacht and crew.
Old 22-11-2022, 22:42   #8

Boat: Norseman 447

From the AMSA website “ Temporary passes
If your vessel is entitled to be registered, but is not currently registered, it will not be allowed to leave an Australian port for an international destination. Customs officials will not issue an unregistered vessel with a certificate of clearance. A temporary pass may be issued in some circumstances. Alternatively a, provisional registration can be arranged so your vessel can start a voyage before the registration procedure has been completed.

Your vessel will not be allowed to leave a foreign port where there is an Australian diplomatic representative unless it has either been registered or issued with a provisional registration certificate.

If you are travelling between a foreign port and an Australian port (or vice versa), or from one foreign port to another, you can be issued with a temporary pass.

You can also obtain a temporary pass if you have an unregistered vessel participating in a yacht race.”
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2022, 01:31   #9

Thanks for that info Nauticatarcher.
Old 23-11-2022, 07:19   #10

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
No, AMSA does not give you any temporary registration. After spoke with everyone at AMSA I decided (after checking with border control at Darwin) that I did not need registration at all and sailed without registration to Darwin, enter Australia and then I can do the registration here. Still on delivery now but I have already cleared Darwin without problems. I have the bill of sale and the Deletion certificate from Malaysia, with all of this you can enter Australia and get insurance.
AMSA should change the way they work, it's very poor. Every time I rang them I went through 4 people and got no answers.
I was only coming from Jakarta anyway, I guess if you are far away may be worth the wait.
This is my experience with my own situation.
as a matter of interest : how did you go clearing out of indo without any registration ?

agree about amsa...but don't expect any change - they've been like that for decades

cheers,
Old 23-11-2022, 21:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher View Post
From the AMSA website “ Temporary passes
If your vessel is entitled to be registered, but is not currently registered, it will not be allowed to leave an Australian port for an international destination. Customs officials will not issue an unregistered vessel with a certificate of clearance. A temporary pass may be issued in some circumstances. Alternatively a, provisional registration can be arranged so your vessel can start a voyage before the registration procedure has been completed.

Your vessel will not be allowed to leave a foreign port where there is an Australian diplomatic representative unless it has either been registered or issued with a provisional registration certificate.

If you are travelling between a foreign port and an Australian port (or vice versa), or from one foreign port to another, you can be issued with a temporary pass.

You can also obtain a temporary pass if you have an unregistered vessel participating in a yacht race.”
This is my understanding. I managed to get full Australian registration for my boat before leaving USA as I spent over a year there doing refit and cruising.
I think i is risky to depart a country prior to getting provisional rego at least, but it dis work for CatAdventure.

My insured valuation was used for provisional GST & Duty calc, but I then obtained a valuation in Australia and ended up with partial refund. IIRC if you have owned the boat for less than a year when importing then you pay GST & Duty on the purchase price plus costs of improvements made after purchase
Old 26-11-2022, 15:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
as a matter of interest : how did you go clearing out of indo without any registration ?

agree about amsa...but don't expect any change - they've been like that for decades

cheers,
I did leave Indo with Lankawi registration otherwise you have to pay 100% duty in Indo. Then because the boat is not at any port (Bill of sale issued after boat left) AMSA refuses to provide any temporary registration, it is like a loop hole.
You can not leave Australia, but you can enter without registration. The Lankawi registration was removed while underway, took only 6 days.
I did a lot of research and couldn't find an answer until I had to do it. I hope I can help others.
It's very clear, the boat does not need a registration to enter Australia.
Also, I used a marine broker in Darwin and he did all the importation in a week or less, really good to deal with. Paid the duty and GST and was given the all clear by Customs.
The importation was a lot easier that it looks, I was charged $450 and I did not fill one form, all was done by the broker.
Old 26-11-2022, 18:02   #13

I’m glad it all worked out for you and I’ve learned a bit more about AMSA. I’m wondering about the final cost of the whole process, $450 seems ok to get the paperwork done by the agent but the import duty, GST? and registration fee must have been substantial.
Old 27-11-2022, 16:52   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
I’m glad it all worked out for you and I’ve learned a bit more about AMSA. I’m wondering about the final cost of the whole process, $450 seems ok to get the paperwork done by the agent but the import duty, GST? and registration fee must have been substantial.
yes, the import duty and the GST do not change, pretty simple maths. I don't think the registration will be to expensive.
Now I have to start the process with AMSA and I believe Queensland for registrations.
Old 27-11-2022, 23:47   #15

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

would just throw in here that when we purchased our current cat, we had the options of ;
geman registry
british registry
swedish registry
australian registry

australian worked out the most expensive of the lot. eventually went with german flag at cost of 80 euro...

cheers,

Tags
Australia, delivery, registration