Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2012, 03:56   #16

Boat: Punch 1010 36ft
Re: Affordable Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Each year when we visit the Channel Islands and Northern France we see the French out sailing in just about anything that floats it's not a hobby it's far more important than that for them. Whole families in tiny boats just out there doing it on the tinest of budgets and good for them too. Have you noticed the only people who live in the middle of France are the English, the French live near the sea so they can go sailing.

Moorings need not be expensive marinas, for example the River Rance has tousands of yachts using mooring bouys. The flooded valley up from Arzal would be another choice with easy access to the gulf of Morbihan with huge areas available just to drop the anchor for a few days.

A trailer sailer would make sence, how about a Wharram catamaran? okay not quite turn up and launch, but can be trailered and cheap to buy and maintain. Watched a young couple with one arrive in St Peter Port a fornight ago, powered by an outboard, all very low budget but they seemed to be really enjoying themselves and had a huge deck space for the length to relax on.

In Europe we just don't seem to have the problems with customs that are often published on here, afterall we are all in the EU so free to travel anywhere in europe without constantly having to clear in and out of a country. The US could take a lesson here

Worth registering it and have minimum insurance etc, but it won't be an issue, other than the Belgiums throwing their toys out of the pram over red diesel. Check the licencing for france with boats fitted with engines over 10hp. There was a reason why everyone in france buys 9.9hp engines.

Pete
Hi Pete, the 9.9hp seems to be a mistake, when sailboat=engine auxiliaire,
thus no need for license, registrating for sure as well as insurance, any good intern.companies I should know about?
laforge24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 04:02   #17

Boat: OEM, proportional

A musical interlude....

Old 20-08-2012, 04:18   #18

great, i just love french '60, shouldn't you be working on your dream :-)
Old 20-08-2012, 05:01   #19

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by laforge24 View Post
I already looked at that possibility, and european versions of trailer-sailors are very small(6m.something)+ that I found out that suitable trailers are not supposed to touch salt water and thus need hauling!!! imagine doing 4 trips p.year= 8 haulings= same price as mooring!! Also I think that when I find the right boat, I will be wanting to live on her,
that's why the abroad/license question came in, if I step over that one it will depend on the right boat for the right price, I don't mind working on her, but she has to have a decent rig/sails, so I keep hunting down the web,,,
If you are looking for an inspiration, check out Sven Yrvind and his boat Bris (< 6 m)
Old 20-08-2012, 10:17   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
If you are looking for an inspiration, check out Sven Yrvind and his boat Bris (< 6 m)
Thanks for the beautifull link, enjoyed it, but I love to be on deck and look at the dolphins up front, his submarine idea is not bad though, but where does he dry his laundry?
Old 20-08-2012, 12:38   #21

Boat: Seaward 22

I hate to sound negative Laforge, but you are retired. What is really stopping you? If you want to get out there do it. I've got a little pocket cruiser. That is great for a long weekend. There is something for everyone, and every boat is a compromise.
ohdrinkboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 13:03   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
I hate to sound negative Laforge, but you are retired. What is really stopping you? If you want to get out there do it. I've got a little pocket cruiser. That is great for a long weekend. There is something for everyone, and every boat is a compromise.
Maybe the word retired is translated as having a pension at 65,,
I am 53 and stopped working and try to make ends meet as long as possible,
so my money has to go a long way, same as the boat,
mistakes are not allowed, but in a way you are right; compromise
Old 20-08-2012, 16:44   #23

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Thanks for the beautifull link, enjoyed it, but I love to be on deck and look at the dolphins up front, his submarine idea is not bad though, but where does he dry his laundry?
Laundry? What laundry?
Old 21-08-2012, 13:32   #24

Boat: DeFever 58

Quote:
No license needed for sea but needed for river, I read somewhere
In the UK you can go to Sea with your wife and kids with no sailing experience, insurance, or licence, and you do not need any boat certificate so can set sail in a rusty bath if you want. However, if you decide to keep a radio on board for emergency without a license you'll be hung, drawn and quartered.

If you decide to sail onto inland waterways it all changes, your boat must be licensed, which involves inspection, and insured. If not; a man on a bicycle with a flat cap and a small dog will hastily issue you a fine, as well as check your fishing rod license.

... Fizz
Fizzwizz is offline   Reply With Quote