Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 10:40   #31

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Re: Advice on scam "Boat for sale"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Absolutely. DO assume it is a fraud, and DO pull their chain as long and hard as you chain. The best way to keep them from robbing someone else, is to keep them busy.

Yes yes, please send check. Oh, you sent check? Gee, we didn't get it, mailbox was broken into, please place stop order and send new check. Oh, we're going out of town, please fedex overnight check. Oh, the fedex came but there was no check in the envelope, we'll be back next week but we got an offer $4000 higher, if you can match it you were first, please send another check.

When the good lord offers you toys, it is only right to play with them.
I would recommend against this. Just block the E-mail address.

Remember these guys are part of organized crime. They have a lot of people working for them with the middle name of "THE", as in Mack "the" knife, Louy "the" snake, etc...

If you mess with them enough to actually get their attention, you may have to kiss goodbye a perfectly good pair of kneecaps,

Better to just forward the info to law enforcement, they at least get to wear bullet proof vests.

Believe me you don't want to get to know these people.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 13:15   #32

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall
Re: Advice on Scam "Boat for sale"

This takes a few minutes to read the entire thing, but is was one guy's reaction to the same type scam, it is pretty hilarious if you get all the way through it!

The Powerbook Prank: He wanted a Powerbook. We gave him a P-P-P-Powerbook!
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 14:07   #33
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"If you mess with them enough to actually get their attention, you may have to kiss goodbye a perfectly good pair of kneecaps, "

Bill, if you think some Nigerian con man is going to take a three day vacation and spend five grand coming to the US to break your kneecaps, when he could be staying home and MAKING money...I suggest you rethink that world picture.

Go to America to break kneecaps...Or could that mean, be lured to America and subject to arrest there? His risk is bigger than yours, kneecaps are cheap these days. Ankles and feet bones are much harder to replace, arguably impossible to replace without a lifetime of complications and pain. Just in case you need to really threaten someone.

And in my neighborhood, no one flies in to break kneecaps without the local padrone's permission, which he isn't going to give to some foreigner poaching on his turf anyhow.

You should spend some time in Big Black Dog School, where any big black dog will patiently explain to you that whenever someone wakes you, they are required to either feed you or play with you. And since they woke you, you get to set the play rules.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 14:24   #34

Boat: Skookum 53'

The FBI has it's own division in Lagos, Nigeria in pursuit of these scammers, however they are like roaches, you catch one and a dozen more pop up. Even though the prisons here are quite nasty, it doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent.
Old 06-01-2012, 14:57   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
The FBI has it's own division in Lagos, Nigeria in pursuit of these scammers, however they are like roaches, you catch one and a dozen more pop up. Even though the prisons here are quite nasty, it doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent.
The crazy thing about it is it must work? sometime ?I dont see it as much as I use to but the lady at the bank said if the bank had cashed the check then I was responsable! I bet the police get involved then..they come and get me !...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 16:29   #36
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
The crazy thing about it is it must work? sometime ?I dont see it as much as I use to but the lady at the bank said if the bank had cashed the check then I was responsable! I bet the police get involved then..they come and get me !...DVC

Sure, they can squeeze you for some money, the nigerian not so much. They are doing the same cost/reward math he is.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 17:16   #37

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

That powerbook story was great!

I was contacted by a scammer about selling time on our boat. At first it all seemed legit, until he said he wanted to send me more than the payment I was requesting and put it on his CC so I could then send a check to the travel agency he was using who couldn't accept credit cards..

I immediately knew at that point it was BS!
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:05   #38

Boat: Skookum 53'

A few years back a local person got scammed by these guys and lost 400,000 USD. People do fall for it, it is a numbers game, send out 10 million emails and if you get 1000 responses, and 100 of them actually fall for it, it is worth your time. Simple sales philosophy it is a numbers game.

Tags
boat, sale