Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2022, 23:15   #1

Yacht Transport Thunder Bay to Vancouver

Gidday All,

just found my dream boat in Toronto (Wiarton). My dream is to sail the West Coast of Canada. Chasing an estimate for trucking from Thunder Bay to Vancouver, including De-Rig and Re-Rig.

BTW, can I accompany the driver over there? do they drive as singles or a team of two?

Cheers From Australia.
Cavalier 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 02:34   #2

Re: Yacht Transport Thunder Bay to Vancouver

You would need yards at both ends to do the prep work.

For trucking, my guess is this info from an online shipping marketplace is stupid low, but here you go. My guess would be $10k USD if no pilot car needed

https://www.uship.com/guides/cost-to...ce%20transport.

I seriously doubt a trucker would allow you to accompany.

Sounds like you're bargain shopping - doubt your budget can withstand anything not in your backyard. You may want to avert your eyes from the green grass on the other side of the fence (pond)
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 04:56   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

I looked into doing just this back in 2014. I got quotes for our 37 foot, 12' beam boat. Seemed to be doable for around $12k back then. I assume 8 years of inflation has done its job on this number.

If you want to sail the west coast then buy a boat there. Don't get limited by "the dream boat." There are lots of good used boats around, although less right now due to the pandemic.
Old 23-01-2022, 05:11   #4

I'm guessing trucking in Canada isn't much different than the USA right now, so expect high prices due to limited supply of drivers. I wouldn't be surprised if it's north of $15-20k. It's a lot of miles. Also, it's not a common boat hauling route which means, it's likely to be a dead head run (truckers like to have paying cargo in both directions and if there isn't, you pay for the trucker to drive back home also).

As far as a ride along, probably not. The rules for commercial cargo and commercial passenger licensing are different. You could probably follow along in your car though.

The trucking company is unlikely to want to deal with pulling the mast and resetting it, so you will need to coordinate with marinas on either end.

A big question is how big is this boat? Beyond certain size limits, they need to include chase and/or lead cars, which you pay for. The rules vary by state/province.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 05:23   #5

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

For sake of measure, our 37’ cost US$4000 to move 100km. That includes haul, splash, derig and rig. Trucking alone was $2200, up 50% over two years ago. And a pilot car was part of the caravan, by law. So Toronto to Vancouver figure US$12k plus.

The challenge will be finding a trucking company that has time, and wants to haul that far and return. Most have a regional pattern/ loop so are always laden with a boat.

ETA Valhalla beat me to the submit. So pretty much same story. Note different guesses on cost. Ouch either way.
Old 23-01-2022, 06:13   #6

Cavalier sez: "...just found my dream boat in Toronto..."

Just what IS you dream boat? What makes you think that you cannot find the selfsame make and model right here in the Salish Sea, which, after all, is the principal cruising ground in this 'ere colony?

This coast is pregnant with tried and tested boats looking for good homes and knowledgeable owners.

For a boat, finding a good home and a good new master is a problem, particularly for an "immigrant boat", because marina slips are so scarce and rather expensive. And most marinas have waiting lists as long a five years. You might like to shop here - right here - for a boat that comes complete with slip! Or you might like to find a slip first, then a boat to fit it!

Depending on your long term plans, i.e. your plans beyond a six months' sojourn in Super, Natural BC, you might also like to have a chat with the Canadian Consulate in Canberra about your visa status. The Commonwealth ain't what it usta be :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 00:43   #7

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

If it were me, I'd sail it to Duluth in the US and truck it from there - possibly to Seattle, Bellingham, or Blaine, Washington - although continuing on up to the Vancouver area, once on the US west coast is no big deal for a trucker - Covid aside (to enter Canada, truckers must now be double vaccinated which has disqualified quite a few from coming into the country). Your target could well be Shelter Island Island Marina and Boatyard in Richmond, BC:

Shelter Island Marina & Boatyard

The US Interstate system is a heck of a lot easier and faster to drive and easier on the boat than is the Trans Canada Highway (watch a few episodes of Highway through Hell!).

But, like others have suggested I would seriously look for a boat here on the West Coast. Bringing one from the east is MAJOR (I trucked Scorpius from Florida to Vancouver many years ago).

If you want to dig into stuff in detail, PM me. There are several of us BC locals here on Cruisers' Forum including TrentePieds above.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 00:54   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
For sake of measure, our 37’ cost US$4000 to move 100km. That includes haul, splash, derig and rig. Trucking alone was $2200, up 50% over two years ago. And a pilot car was part of the caravan, by law. So Toronto to Vancouver figure US$12k plus.

The challenge will be finding a trucking company that has time, and wants to haul that far and return. Most have a regional pattern/ loop so are always laden with a boat.

ETA Valhalla beat me to the submit. So pretty much same story. Note different guesses on cost. Ouch either way.
peanuts cost, catamaran 40 ft 35km splash, and rig 9000€

Bavaria 38 ft distance 3 km splash, and help to rig 4500€

but both transport including police stop traffic on street. working deep in night
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 01:09   #9

A few years ago it was about 2000$ CAD to move mine the length of Lk Ontario. No launch or haul out. Picked up in a yard off season (winter) in Kitchener and dropped at my marina an hour westt of Kingston at the time.

Mast went on a rack on the side of the trailer.
They dealt with all the permits, wide load signage etc.
I don't know if it makes a difference pricewise it was an off season move.
It was priced by the mile, with an empty return run.
Barkingmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 09:19   #10

Boat: campion 32 motorsail. 25 beachcomber ketch

hi; not sure if this is possible but you might consider sailing to thunder bay ontario and shipping via rail car from there to b.c. all the best; R
svhydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 07:27   #11

Boat: C&C

Call Andrews Trucking for a quick price 905-468-4223, they’ve been doing the US and Canada for years. reliable and dependable. I wouldn’t use anymore else. These guys know their stuff!
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 07:39   #12

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

If you decide to truck, you may want to check with your insurance company and confirm that your boat is covered while it's in transit. If not, add in transit insurance costs to the cost of transport. Best of luck with shipping, but I think that everyone that suggested just buying over here in the PNW is probably a better idea, especially if you haven't already purchased.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vancouver, yacht