Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2011, 13:29   #1

Boat: Ocean sportfish 38'
Welland Upbound - How Hard Is It Really ?

Hi all we've heard all the horror stories about the Welland (rough walls, delays, turbulance,etc.). We went downbound last year with no issues other than the wait. How bad is it comming up? Is it that bad? Pinned to the walls , bounced around etc,? Thanks in advance
oarwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 14:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Welland upbound how hard is it really?

Greetings and welcome Aboard the CF, oarwhat.

I also have only been down, but cannot immagine why it should be more significantly diificult going up.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 00:45   #3

Have done the Welland both upbound and downbound more than a few times doing deliveries. You have already spoken of what I believe to be the worst aspect - The Time Factor! After that I would rank the turbulence as the thing to be most aware of when upbound. Keep in mind, unlike many other canals the Welland was designed with large commercial traffic in mind. The size and number of valve gates in the locks are to allow for rapid filling While the turbulence created during the filling of the lock would go unnoticed on a lship, on smaller vessels it requires a little more vigilance. How bad is it? With a sharp crew you should have no problems. And don't forget the Welland requires a minimum (3) man crew upbound (due to turbulence).
TheBilges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 08:51   #4

Boat: Grampian 26

I did the Welland twice last year. Both times were easy and minimal issues.
Down bound was just under 8 hours, and upbound was just under 10.
I still remember the looks as I was flipping steaks on the BBQ as I was guiding the lines on the downbound. If I had more I could have easily sold them for triple the cost of going through, what a hoot....
Enjoy the day for how ever long it takes, the kids loved it and took hundreds of pictures of tankers, go fast boats and sailboats
Old 22-01-2012, 09:00   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Heh...that's an amusing image with the steak grilling down in the lock. I suspect the smell of BBQ would fill up that box pretty quickly.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:45   #6

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Re: Welland Upbound - How Hard Is It Really ?

If your sailboat is full keeled it is tougher going up. These locks fill fast and the turbulence is harder to deal with on a full keeled vessel. If this is the case for your vessel it is worth requesting the calmest position in the lock. If they are able they will generally oblige this request. Dont forget to wear those life vests.
Fair Winds
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 07:30   #7

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Welland Upbound - How Hard Is It Really ?

If you are taking the 38' sport fisherman listed you would want to have three strong people or four. It is not too bad but you have to be prepared for an eddy to catch you. We found what worked well was to not keep the ropes too tight and try to get the boat to sit about 8' off the wall. Much of the time it will ride up nicely with no corrections needed. If it is a really hot day you might want to do it at night. The whole canal is lit and it will be more pleasant.
AiniA is offline   Reply With Quote