Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2014, 13:59   #1

Boat: 42 ft Provincial. Newfoundland lobster boat built as a pleasure boat in 2007
Summer transit

Hello my wife and I want to leave Cape Cod late July in our 42 ft lobster boat,go up the Hudson, thru the Lakes, to end up in maybe Duluth where we will put her (the boat that is) on a trailer for Puget Sound sometime around the end of September. Never been in the Great Lakes, know nothing would appreciate trip planning advice. I'm sure there are many things not to be missed, and probably some things best avoided. We cruise 12-15 knots depending and have around a 600 nm range. Thanking you in advance.
Chief70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 14:22   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Summer transit

Hi Chief70, sounds like a great trip. I'm a sailor, and I don't know anything about the Hudson, but I have sailed Georgian Bay, the North Channel and much of Lake Superior (mostly the Canadian side). There are tons of great anchorages in all these places. Georgian Bay and Lake Huron gives you access to lots of smaller towns along the way. North Channel is a cruiser's paradise. And the Canadians side of Lake Superior is a wilderness cruiser's dream.

I'm happy to share more specifics in the areas I know. Ask away!
Old 19-04-2014, 14:55   #3

Boat: 42 ft Provincial. Newfoundland lobster boat built as a pleasure boat in 2007

Thanks for the reply, how about a basic question first. What is the procedure for a US flagged boat to go in and out of Canadian ports. Is the a cruising permit for a season? Thanks
Old 19-04-2014, 18:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief70 View Post
Thanks for the reply, how about a basic question first. What is the procedure for a US flagged boat to go in and out of Canadian ports. Is the a cruising permit for a season? Thanks
That I don't know Chief. As a Canadian it's never been an issue for me . I know I need a cruising permit to travel in the USA. But I've never heard of the need for a Canadian cruising permit (from my American friends).

Procedure for any foreign boat and crew to enter Canada is the same as everywhere: You must enter through a Port of Entry. You must alert the Canadian customs office of your intention to enter. The officer will direct you to a dock, and will either ask the captain to come ashore with passports and boat documentation, or may chose to come to your boat.

If you are crossing the border in remote areas (like some places on the northern Great Lakes) you can get a remote border crossing permit (forget the name). It requires a kind of pre-registration where you can simply call in. In most cases you are cleared via VHF or cell phone, although they can always direct you to a proper port of entry.
Old 19-04-2014, 18:50   #5

That sounds like a great trip. There are literally hundreds of topics on this forum alone about cruising from the US to Canada and how to clear in. Most of them simply recommend that you read the Canadian Customs & Immigration website. Safe journey.

There are also tons of written cruising guides for your trip as well as ActiveCaptain.

My only connection to all this is from two sources: reading this and other boating forums and I have a friend who sails Lake Michigan!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 20:45   #6

Boat: Various

Quote:
Hello my wife and I want to leave Cape Cod late July in our 42 ft lobster boat,go up the Hudson, thru the Lakes, to end up in maybe Duluth where we will put her (the boat that is) on a trailer for Puget Sound sometime around the end of September. Never been in the Great Lakes, know nothing would appreciate trip planning advice. I'm sure there are many things not to be missed, and probably some things best avoided. We cruise 12-15 knots depending and have around a 600 nm range. Thanking you in advance.
Basically you're starting part of the Great Loop and so many loopers' books and blogs will help. I would recommend captainjohn.org as a great place to start. He covers the area well even though some of his opinions I might not agree with, such as choices of boats.

As to the rules for back and forth between US and Canada there are many options for you. The best discussion of the choices I've read are Waggoner Cruising Guide which is written for the PNW but the rules are the same. waggonerguide.com.

The choice for entry to Canada that will make the most sense for you depends on whether you just intend to enter once or you anticipate multiple entries. Plus with you then headed to the Puget Sound you may want to take future entries there into consideration.

You're headed for great experiences in both areas.

Your only limitations on your cruise are really draft and air draft or height. What is your draft and what is your height? You have choices of routes determined by these factors.

I'd also recommend Active Captain as a good place to start looking at anchorages and marinas as well as to easily see all the bridges and locks you'll encounter.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 22:08   #7

Link to good information on Canada customs and crossing both ways.

Canadian Customs | Waggoner Cruising Guide
Old 20-04-2014, 18:28   #8

Wow what great feedback. Thanks so much. BanB, have been on captain john's site, thanks for the tip. Mike all these guides for doing the loop show taking a left before Lake Superior, so I'll be back with some questions for you my friend when I get a little more organized. Thanks again.
Old 20-04-2014, 19:01   #9

Quote:
Wow what great feedback. Thanks so much. BanB, have been on captain john's site, thanks for the tip. Mike all these guides for doing the loop show taking a left before Lake Superior, so I'll be back with some questions for you my friend when I get a little more organized. Thanks again.
They may show a left but never know what you'll find if you make a wrong turn. Could be good.
Old 20-04-2014, 19:13   #10

Quote:
Arrr laddie, you'd be missing the best part of the Great Lakes if you do that .

There are good guide books for all the Great Lakes. The Ports Books for the lower lakes, and Bonnie Dahl's Superior Way for up here. Richardson's makes great chart book (a lot cheaper than buying the individually). Active Captain is OK, but gets sketchy up our way -- just not enough users yet I guess. The Great Lakes Cruising Club is a good resource for all the Lakes. It's a modest cost to join, but they have their guides available as PDF downloads once you do.

Hope you trip goes well. I'm happy to help if I can.
Old 20-04-2014, 21:43   #11

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I would say "Don't miss the Trent Severn waterway." Good Folks and great scenery.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 21:54   #12

You could go to the Great Lakes from the East Coast and back a dozen times and still never come close to seeing it all. But then many areas like that, filled with magic. Just the loopers generally stay close to shore and the shortest route through the Great Lakes and see such a small portion.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:06   #13

Boat: Island Packet 40

For central and western Lake Erie, some good stopovers are Lakeside Yacht Club in Cleveland Ohio, Vermilion Port Authority in Vermilion Ohio, City docks in Sandusky Ohio, Kelleys Island, Put in Bay on South Bass Island, Port Clinton Ohio (also West Harbor).

If you would like recommendations or have questions feel free to PM me.

Bill
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote