Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2005, 05:33   #1
Kai Nui

Slips on Lake Erie

We are considering a move to Cleveland. Is it possible to find a livaboard slip, or for that matter any slip for a 35' trimaran on Lake Erie?
How much of the lake is navigable in the winter months?
I have never sailed the lake, but 2 weeks in Cleveland convinced my wife and I that we should look into it.
And for the locals, The people were one of the major attrctions.
Old 24-08-2005, 08:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Lake Erie is navigable in winter - but only by Ice Boat & Snowmobile.
The lake freezes over for between 40 & 160 days.
Cleveland’s January “design temperature” (for buildings) is Zero degrees F, and the “normal” daily temp. range (Jan.) is between 18-32̊F.
Photos: http://www.singlechips.com/gallery/Ice

Cleveland, Ohio - Boating and Marine Pages c/w Marina Listings:
http://boatingontheweb.com/Ohio/cleveland.htm

Lake Erie Boating Online - Marinas :
http://www.lakeerieboating.com/ports...nd.htm#Marinas

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005, 01:41   #3
Kai Nui

Great links Gord. I had a feeling I might hear from you on this. I have been there in the winter time, and do not mind the cold. I grew up in Maryland and Virginia, and transplanted to California about 20 years ago. I have been trying to get back "home"ever since. My wife was born and raised in California, and was very apprehensive about the humidity, and of course had the predominant "California is the best place to be" attitude. One week in the humidity, and even she is ready to move back there. (we both breath better with moisture in the air) I have not been warm or been able to breath in 20 years. Until June. I spent 2 weeks there for business, and a week before that during the big storm in ?april? Almost bought a house while we were there.
Enough rambling. Thanks for the info.
And just to add, Gord, you are the font of all knowledge, and for once I am not being a wise guy. I mean it sincerely.
Old 26-08-2005, 00:02   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Try the Cleveland Power Squadron. Good group of people!

http://www.usps.org/localusps/cleveland/
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:19   #5
Kai Nui

Another good link. USPS is always helpful, especially on local conditions.
Old 17-09-2005, 11:50   #6
cruiser

Not much help...

This probably isn't much help, but having just sailed right through there last month, I can tell you that you will be better off with the cat than a monohull due to the shallow waters in the area. We scraped along the ground several times getting fuel and found very few facilities that could accomodate a moderate 5'5" draft, even though the facilities could acommodate large vessels.

Good luck on finding the right liveaboard marina!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2005, 11:55   #7
Kai Nui

Actually, lots of help. I had made assumptions on the draft issue, and it sounds like they were correct. By saying "the right lie aboard marina", I would guess that means that there are some. That is my biggest concern. I am looking at making this move in a year or two, so I realize what applies now might not then, but it is worth checking into.
Old 17-09-2005, 12:03   #8
cruiser

Liveaboard Marinas...

Quote:
Kai Nui once whispered in the wind:
By saying "the right lie aboard marina", I would guess that means that there are some. That is my biggest concern.

I am finding that liveaboard marinas come in all shapes, sizes and flavors. We found one by pure chance here in Long Island. We had been achored out when we arrived here and wanted to bring the boat in to install a genset. When we came to this place, we found that there were some people who "wintered over" (we later found they lived aboard also). When we asked for "in-water, winter storatge with running water an electricity", the yard said, "Sure! But no liveaboards!" They then charged us $4,000!!! OUCH!

Anyway, long story short, they didn't want the "gypsy style" liveaboards or people who would fill their dumptser, hang around the docks, and generally use marina facilities. Since we hide down in the boat all the time, and my wife is working at night to pick up a few extra bucks, they haven't said boo to us about living aboard. We even have a car here... still no problem.

We just have to be very discreet about what we do and when we come and go. Even the other liveaboards (who I think are grandfathered from an earlier marina policy) didn't think we were living aboard.

Anyway, there are probably more marinas out there that you can live at than one would think. As long as there is water and electric, and the docks stay in all year 'round, you can feel out the situation and give it a shot.

Again... good luck! It certainly is daunting trying to find one.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2005, 21:53   #9
Kai Nui

Thanks Sean. THe sneak aboard option is not really one I want to persue, as I know it is there. We have one of those elusive legal live aboard slips here in Ca. That is one reason, we are taking our time to relocate. We are just in the research stage right now anyway, so we have lots of time. We will probably fly out next year, and visit some marinas.
Old 18-09-2005, 19:12   #10

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Cleveland!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last summer, my wife and I took a trip across country for six weeks on a motorcycle since we were between boats. We generally try to stay out of cities, but we also try to avoid super highways. This tends to take us through major cities. From western Massachusetts to Spokane, Washington and back, we passed through a multitude of cities. Cleveland was the most depressing and the only place I have been in my entire life that I felt unsafe.
The whole width and breadth of this beautiful country and you want to relocate to Cleveland. WOW!

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 19:33   #11
Kai Nui

When I drove trucks I had many occasion to go through Cleveland, but I never spent any time there, so I really did not develop much of an opinion. When I hired on with my current employer, I went there for interviews and was there for two days. At best my opinion was the same as yours, probably worse.
A month later, after I hired on, I went there for training and spent two weeks. By the end of the first week, I was looking at realestate. My wife came out for the second week, and by the time we left we both wanted to stay. We spent some time at the harbor down town by the stadium. We met a number of local boaters and really enjoyed the people. It is amazing how different a view you can get from a place after spending some time there. Of course, personal taste has a lot to do with it as well. We spent some time in the Flatts, and enjoyed it. We also both really enjoyed the humidity. I grew up in it, and it felt like home. My wife was born and raised in Ca. I was a bit apprehensive when she was headed out, but she reacted so well to it, even if we do not move there, we ARE going to a more humid climate.
Old 17-11-2005, 16:13   #12

There are many marinas that will allow you to live aboard in Ohio, I would even venture to guess all of them will but... yea you knew that was coming. Boats are out of the water from Nov 1 to April 1. But... yea there is another one, the cost to rent fully furnished lake condo's is very cheap in the winter. So you live on your boat when the living is easy and rent a nice condo when the rent is cheap and the snow is flying.

Don't worry about draft on Lake Erie too much, unless you are sailing a Farr 50 drawing 12 foot you will not have much trouble. We draw 8'3" and generally go everywhere we want.

Cleveland is a great city, the people are friendly, there is plenty to do, and prices are quite reasonable. I think you will find you like it.

Life is good in Ohio, other then that cold, grey, snow, slush, winter thing but then again we don't have salt in our rigging.

B
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2005, 20:21   #13
Kai Nui

Thanks Joli, I agree with you on most points. We had a great time out there, and it was as much the people as the place. We have been in Ca for the past couple of decades, so you might imagine our reaction to real estate out there. Sticker shock the good way.
I am not too worried about the draft, but my blood needs the salt
As for the live aboard options, I have heard exactly the opposite from the few locals we met while out there. Looks like a promotion is coming in April, with the possibility of relocating, so I will have to start getting some solid answers. Maybe a trip out in March.
As we recently purchased a trimaran, this presents another logistics problem. It is allot easier to transport a mono than a 20' wide tri. But, I digress. don't want to put the cart before the horse.
Old 18-11-2005, 04:43   #14

Hello Kai,

Transporting a tri might be a bit tough unless it's one of those folder upper jobbies.

Year round live aboard here is very difficult with winter weather. This morning it is 14 degrees. The problem we have is water lines freezing, you end up having to haul water and since there is no water in the marina, fires are a concern. Hence the fear of the marina and the insurance company. We have friends that live aboard year round but they are definately in the minority and have to find very accomadating circumstances.

Regarding summer liveaboard, we do it, and I know others that do it also. I can't think of any marina here in Sandusky Ohio that would not allow you to spend the summer on the boat. We are 50 miles west of Clevlend on Lake Erie. We also have other friends that live on their boat in Cleveland.

Welcome to Ohio, I do believe you will like it very much here.

Bryan
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote

« Lake Superior | ice »