Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 06:21   #1

sailing out of Port Clinton area

I am planning on making my first solo week cruise in my c-26 around mid june. This will be the first cruise longer then a few days as well as the first time I will be on Lake Erie. I plan on spending the week cruising around the islands just north of Port Clinton.

I am planning on spending most of the nights on the hook. Anyone have any advice on some protected anchorages.

At this point I am not sure where to put it at. I will be trailer up from central ohio so I could use some recommendations for decent boat ramp as well.
ronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 05:17   #2

There are several spots on the Portage River to float the boat or you can head to Sandusky and launch the boat there.

North of Kelly's is a smallish anchorage good for southerly breezes, south of Pellee is a very nice anchorage good for east, west, or north breezes. If you go to Canada stop first at Griffin airport in Sandusky and visit Customs to get an I 68 (passport or birth cert required) so it is easy to come and go across the border. Stop at the Sandusky Mall and have 3 photos taken a kiosk for the I 68.

If you are visiting the Bass Islands anyhwere around Middle Bass is good to anchor, the breeze will determine where you park the boat. If you want a mooring at Put In Bay they are easy to come by and they run a water taxi so you can visit the island. If you are in Sandusky you can lay on the wall at the Sandusky Sailing Club for a couple days. Friendly folks.

Enjoy the lake,

Joli
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 06:10   #3

Thanks for the info.

My main concern with floating my boat is clearance issues once I have my mast stepped. I have not had much luck researching this. I will need a clearance of around 38-40 feet once my mast is stepped. I hate the thought of having to pull it down once I am in the water.
Old 13-05-2008, 07:07   #4

The wires crossing the Portage River are 84 feet high. Trust me, I know, our air draft is 93 feet.

The Sandusky ramp at the base of Water Street has no wires and puts you into the bay inside the freigher channel, deep water that is protected.

Get a looksie here: NOAA Nautical Charts - OceanGrafix - Index

You won't have any trouble.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 17:06   #5

Thanks a ton. I might drive up one weekend and do a little recon before I pull my boat up. I really like to know exactly where I am going before I head off. She is so big it can be tough getting around.

Thanks a million. I am really looking forward to my first cruise on lake Erie.