Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2021, 13:52   #1

Boat: Mirage 35
Rideau Canal with a Keel?

We're toying with the idea of spending some time on the Rideau Canal system this summer. I know the basics: need to drop the mast, controlling depth 5 ft., etc.

But a power boater friend who has done it mentioned in particular that parts are very weedy - no surprise knowing the area - which leaves me wondering.

We have a wing keel, aka weed whacker, which would be a foot or two above the bottom in shallow areas. Is this likely to cause any problems? Anyone with personal experience or at least good quality hearsay like to comment?
Old 10-03-2021, 14:23   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Rideau Canal with a Keel?

OK, here's some hearsay . Hopefully someone who's done the route recently will jump in. It's actually something I'd love to do ... but not in my sailboat.

So, here goes. I've not done it in a big boat. I have travelled some of it via canoe. But I have direct experience with heavy weeding in the Bay of Quinte, which I suspect is similar to what you might find up the river.

The weeds in later summer can swallow a boat in Quinte. I foolishly got off the buoyed route once and the weeds were so thick it brough my 6' draft boat to a quick stop, and I didn't think we were going to be able to pull back.

The Rideau can definitely be like that in places later in the summer. Early in the season it's a non-issue, but they grow fast in warm water.

All that said, I know they work hard to keep the channels and lock approaches clear. There are special weed scooper boats that are sometimes called into service. But if you go later in the season you better bring a snorkel, mask and good knife.
Old 10-03-2021, 15:02   #3

Hi, Mike, I had a feeling you might have something to say.

To help me compare, when you say Bay of Quinte which part in particular are you talking about? From what I see Presqu'Ile Bay could be a problem but we've never had issues in Quinte itself.
Old 10-03-2021, 15:03   #4

Although now I think about it we've never been in Quinte late season.
Old 10-03-2021, 15:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
Hi, Mike, I had a feeling you might have something to say.

To help me compare, when you say Bay of Quinte which part in particular are you talking about? From what I see Presqu'Ile Bay could be a problem but we've never had issues in Quinte itself.
Definitely down in Presqu'Ile, but the exact event happened to me on the Quinte side of the Murray Canal. Weeds are thick problem especially down at that end of the bay in later summer, but even around Belleville (where I was based for a few seasons) they were a constant annoyance even in the marina.

As I say, I've not done the Rideau in anything more than a canoe, so I can't say with certainty. But I spent a lot of my misspent youth swimming at various places along its shores as well. Late summer always brought out the underwater thickets.

But like I say as well, I know they work hard to keep the channels open and clear, so maybe it's not an issue as long as you say within the reds & greens.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:57   #6

Quote:
We're toying with the idea of spending some time on the Rideau Canal system this summer. I know the basics: need to drop the mast, controlling depth 5 ft., etc.

But a power boater friend who has done it mentioned in particular that parts are very weedy - no surprise knowing the area - which leaves me wondering.

We have a wing keel, aka weed whacker, which would be a foot or two above the bottom in shallow areas. Is this likely to cause any problems? Anyone with personal experience or at least good quality hearsay like to comment?
I actually live on the Rideau Waterway (Upper Rideau Lake) and have cruised the entire system in a power boat. I have done the section from Big Rideau to Kingston many times and the section from Big Rideau to Ottawa twice.

Weeds are not a problem when you stick to at the channel. There are only a couple of spots where it is important to keep to the channel but that is quite easy to see. You should have no problems.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:08   #7

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Because 5’ is the controlling depth, and lots of boats go through there mowing the channels (think pocket cruisers and larger half planing -big squat) the channels shouldn’t be an issue for your keel. When we went through (‘16) several sailboats had overheating problems due to strainers filling with the (recently mowed) gras/weeds. You should be fine, but make sure your temp gauge/alarms work properly & check raw water egress & strainers frequently.
Old 11-03-2021, 13:26   #8

Boat: Jefferson Rivanna 48 ACMY

I have done the section from Big Rideau to Kingston many times and the section from Big Rideau to Ottawa twice.

Weeds are not a problem when you stick to at the channel. There are only a couple of spots where it is important to keep to the channel but that is quite easy to see. You should have no problems.[/QUOTE]

Ya, what he said is my experience in a pocket cruiser.
Bassman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 13:30   #9

Thanks for the info, folks. What I'm getting is that it's certainly feasible but if I want to aim for hassle-free it would be best to go earlier in the season. And get in the habit of checking the strainer - something I do once every three or four years on Lake Ontario.
Old 11-03-2021, 19:05   #10

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I went up the Rideau as far as Lake Opinicon on a C&C29 with the scheel keel (4 foot draft). There were areas with thick weeds that slowed us down. At one point, we were barely moving. We put the engine in reverse and gave it some throttle. This dumped the weeds that had accumulated on the keel, rudder and prop. We then proceeded at regular cruising speed. We repeated this a few times that day, each time boat speed began to fall. But overall, the weeds were not an issue. I was more concerned the engine would fail (Atomic 4, running poorly).

Although there are narrow sections and weedy sections, most of the lakes we traversed were clear and deep (like 20 feet). Being accustomed to sailing Lake Ontario, these protected waters were wonderful. I felt like we could anchor anywhere and enjoy the beautiful sights, sounds, and pristine waters.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 15:00   #11

Closing the loop, in case anybody cares: after weighing the pros and cons we've decided to rent a canal boat out of Smiths Falls. Less hassle, more comfort, and - considering the trips we haven't taken in the last year - the budget can handle it.

Thanks to all for your input.
Old 17-03-2021, 15:27   #12

Boat: Bateau FS17

Quote:
Closing the loop, in case anybody cares: after weighing the pros and cons we've decided to rent a canal boat out of Smiths Falls. Less hassle, more comfort, and - considering the trips we haven't taken in the last year - the budget can handle it.

From Le Boat? If the borders open up we are thinking about doing that in August. Would love to know your experience with the area as well as the company (or whatever company you rent from)
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 15:32   #13

Le Boat seems to be the only game in town on the Rideau. We've rented from Nichols (one of their competitors) in France and they all seem to have a similar formula - very well organized, good service.

The boats in Smiths Falls are a new high-end model, so considerably more expensive than what we've seen in Europe.

Our rental is in June; feel free to remind me with a PM after that and I can help fill in any details.
Old 17-03-2021, 15:39   #14

Boat: Bateau FS17

When I was last researching, I found one or two other companies but they were house boats.... looked like a floating square trailer house, but maybe they were limited to the 1000 islands area and not the canal, pretty sure le boat limits to just the Rideau Canal.
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 15:46   #15

Quote:

I think that's a really wise choice. Now I'm envious... Would love to do the trip. Maybe someday.

Hope you plan on bragging about how great it goes [emoji6].

Tags
canal, keel