Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2011, 00:23   #1

Location: I live on the Lake Michigan shoreline. The name of the town is Silver Lake, MI
Real Crew with Real Experience

Hello,

I'm Nathan. I am a 22 year old U.S. Army Veteran who recently traveled the world for 9 1/2 consecutive months. During that time (Aug.-Sept. 2010) my Girlfriend and I sailed from Hurghada, Egypt to Kochi, India over the course of 42 days. I currently reside in Silver Lake, MI right on the big lake. I'll be here for the summer or until I find something better... I'm always up for a new chapter/adventure.

We were the only working crew to speak of aboard the 47' Ketch when we left Egypt. The owner/captain and wife were in their mid sixties and feeling it more and more each day. We logged (unofficially) approximately 3800 Nautical Miles via the Port of Sudan, Massawa Eritrea, Assab Eritrea, Aden Yemen, and final port of call being Kochi (Cochin) India. We have experienced a few force 8+ monsoonal storms, Successfully navigated the Red Sea, Transited the Bab-el-Mandeb during monsoon transition, safe passage of the Gulf of Aden (Pirate Alley) and did it all with no auto pilot. Luckily we had it fixed before the 22 day Indian ocean passage to the Southern Indian state of Kerela. I feel we managed quite well for never sailing prior to that.

I'm not full of myself, I'm just trying to spell out our accomplishments. I am by no means qualified to skipper a yacht, nor is Ashlee, but we are competent crew, and honest hard working young adults. We love to travel, We are adventurist to the bone. We love the Sea and have been waiting to get back out for such a long time. We miss the isolation and the freedom, and their is nothing we would love more than to gain a diverse range of experience by doing deliveries or even getting back in to deckhand crew for full time yacht work. I'm not interested in sharing costs, but I don't need very much either. I'm in it for the adventure more than any of the money, but realistically need to support myself somehow. I'm just posting around the website to see what comes of it. We are ready to start as soon as needed, have no ties and travel very light.

If you require only one crew I am willing to go it alone as Ashlee has a good job at home anyway. I am a bartender when I am home because it's good quick money that can put me back out in the world quickly. It's nothing I'm hoping to hold on to for a long time. I appreciate the opportunity.

Kind Regards,
Nathan
(+1) 231-301-9321

Yacht Reference:
S/V Shangri-La of Dartmouth RDYC Owner/Captain: Dennis Bidwell of Bristol U.K.
S/V Swordfish, British Isle of Wales Owner/Captain: James Lee U.K.
nryder64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 19:09   #2

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Real Crew with Real Experience

Gosh, Nathan... you are exactly the types I would have hired in a minute for my delivery business a few years ago. Young, love to travel, not afraid of hard work, standing watches and willing to learn. Unfortunately, now retired but sending you this in an open forum in hopes someone else might pick up on your love of the ocean and travel... good luck, mate! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, delivery, pirate alley