Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2020, 14:28   #106

Re: Noisy Neighbours

My reaction would be : get the other sailors together in their dinghies with their horns around them, and blow the horns until they get pissed up themselfes. Repeat if nescessary.

Capt. Claus - ocean tramp of the eighties
clakiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 16:06   #107

Boat: Cooper Prowler 10M /35'

I never go anywhere without earplugs. I've even learned to sleep with them when I have to.
Eclipse 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 16:29   #108

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Moored several times in Ayala Cove, San Francisco Bay. The most crowded anchorage I've experienced. Never had noisy neighbors!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2339.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	221725  
Old 21-08-2020, 18:13   #109

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
Janis Joplin always worked for me in the Caribbean. Charterers would try to anchor right on the anchor mark on the chart. Janis screeching cry cry baby and a middle aged man dancing nude would discourage this

Close, I think a little Alanis Morissette playing loudly with a middle aged man in a speedo(sometimes your imagination can be worse than reality) chewing his toenails while sitting in a beach chair, that might get it done.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 18:25   #110
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Well, in the 1000 Islands, there are lots of parties in July/August. If we want peace and quiet, we go out after Labour Day in September.

Weekdays are usually better. When cruising, unless necessary we try not to travel at weekends in crowded waterways either, it's not much fun.

As the man said, you can't fix stupid - so best smile and wave.

It's quite possible that the partying powerboater may pull your boat off the rocks next day, so be nice...

Exception: Loud drunken parties after 10pm on the dock on Parks Commission Islands. I have told people to go ashore and find somewhere else to sing, "You don't have to listen to your voice from my end of your larynx!" and I get away with it because generally they are less aggressive to women.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 21:33   #111

In Canada for most jurisdictions it is 7 -11 ie. 7am to 11 pm.That said. A few years ago I had to listen to Rap crap from a Sub base until 3 am. I waited. "I don't get even. I get better". I started Playing @ 7:01am sharp... Bagpipes music through 2 stereos. There is no sound that can overpower thee pipes. It is certainly a cure for a hangover. If it doesn't kill you.
I let it play until about 11am. Then made it look like I was leaving. I told them I would be back before 11pm. Also,That my reporting alarm & video was on.

I did receive a call from the OPP's Local Shift Supervisor Sgt. Can you guess his accent? Aye. He was a Scot. I did turn it down to talk to him. Only to turn it up at his request for a song he liked. Never had a problem again!!! In fact my punk young neighbours became quite respectful.
NB. The absolute worse than Pipes music, is someone "new" practicing the pipes.
My "live" ammunition is now saved on my computer. Ready to engage ....
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 22:44   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers View Post
In Canada... Bagpipes...
fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 22:58   #113

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

Shine a 1M candle power spotlight in their eyes until the get the message. I have found that to work well with the floating discos that occasionally end up anchored near by.
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 06:29   #114
SuW

Bagpipes! And here I was thinking that Canada has been a signatory to the UN Convention against Torture since the 80s!

A lone piper on a distant hill over a lake at dawn or dusk is not an uncommon event either here or in Scotland.

No-one wants them to practice at home...
Old 23-08-2020, 04:26   #115

This is when I would make sure I have a VERY loud, VERY early breakfast....start the engine to recharge battery, have a screaming cold morning swim...Maybe have some other boaters join in the fun.
kwing514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 07:43   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Bagpipes! And here I was thinking that Canada has been a signatory to the UN Convention against Torture since the 80s!

A lone piper on a distant hill over a lake at dawn or dusk is not an uncommon event either here or in Scotland.

No-one wants them to practice at home...
Lest anyone think this is a joke - my SIL plays bagpipes and when she was learning she had to go to the field at the end of their road to practice, no matter the weather. She wasn’t allowed to do it near any houses on pain of no more lessons if she wasn’t respectful about the noise.
PirateFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 07:48   #117

Boat: Spindrift 43

This brings back surprisingly fond memories of a good-natured old timer at my first marina in Hawaii who used to get drunk at the clubhouse, then go down to his boat and emerge with his bagpipes for an impromptu concert.

Happened darn near every weekend. He was an old WWII vet, everyone knew trying to stop him would have been a fool’s errand so we all just learned to enjoy it.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 08:13   #118

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Noise ordinance enforcement really only applies to life on land. You're not going to get someone down to the dock and out on boat at midnight for a noise complaint. marine patrol only mobilizes at night for actual emergencies.
FYI Here in Honolulu at the Ala Wai Marina you CAN call the police about late night noise and they DO come and either cite or talk to the people - There are times that vehicles with loud music try to congregate in the parking lot and have a party and this gets shut down instantly - the police have always been VERY cooperative.
It's eerie now as the harbor is so quiet with no tourist party boats -
I think depending on the country...moorage...etc there are different rules. At our cabin up at San Juan Island (Washington State) we have rarely throughout the years had boats come into the bay and be disruptive - one call to the sheriff usually does the trick- much more problematic when you are in an isolated moorage - often alcohol is involved so we try not to interact and decide to move - If it is a state regulated moorage there may be rules and suggestions of who to contact if there are problems...
Alawaiorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 10:44   #119
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateFoxy View Post
Lest anyone think this is a joke - my SIL plays bagpipes and when she was learning she had to go to the field at the end of their road to practice, no matter the weather. She wasn’t allowed to do it near any houses on pain of no more lessons if she wasn’t respectful about the noise.
It's nae joke, laddie/lassie! I live just a wee bit down the road from Maxville, Ontario, location of the Glengarry Highland Games (temporarily suspended).

Pipers will often make a few shillings on Burns night or playing at funerals.
Perhaps we could develop a bagpipe-based pest control service?
Old 23-08-2020, 14:41   #120

Boat: Mirage 35

I wasn't going to recomment on this thread, and it's starting to get silly (bagpipes!), but I have one more reaction. Keeping in mind that it's an Internet forum, and people talking about what they "would" do.

Quite a number of people commenting, when faced with a potential conflict, appear to choose escalate as their first response. My personal experience suggests that this may not be the most helpful approach, and it bothers me a bit that so many people seem to prefer it.