Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2021, 22:43   #1

Boat: Catalina 270 LE
New to cruising and to the north shore

Hello all, what a great forum this seems to be. We are new to cruising and big boat sailing. We have put a deposit down on a Catalina 270LE. It is located in Knife River. The plan is to take the boat out for sea trials in a few weeks. As long as all goes well (which the boat seems to be in great condition) we will finalize the sale. We plan to keep the boat at Barkers Island in Superior. I have never Captained a boat this big, but I have years of sailing smaller 20' shows. We will be making our first sail from knife to superior. Any advice from local sailors on this trip?
Jamison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 01:11   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: New to cruising and to the north shore

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jamison.
Congratulations!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:01   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hi Jamison, and congrats on the new big boat. I only passed that way once during my decade sailing L. Superior, although I've driven it many times. Superior in general is a stunning cruising ground; I still miss it.

What you call the "north shore" (which is really more like the west shore of Superior) is not the most interesting of areas. It's a straight 20nm shot to Barker's from Knife River, and I don't think there are any good bail-out points until you get to Duluth and can enter the harbour there. Of course, that isn't far from your ultimate destination, so you'll want to pick a good weather window for this first journey.

On a 27' sailboat that is going to be a full day, so I'd plan to leave with first light. Winds tend to be westerlies, so if you're lucky (or plan well) you'll get more NW than SW. NW would be a nice sail. SW will be more of a beat. Either way, it can be a great sail. Only concern (other than weather) will be the shipping lanes. Keep a close eye out, and cross them quickly. Duluth Harbour can be a busy place.

Barker's is a great facility, and from there you're not far from Apostles. Enjoy.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:19   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The McQuade Small Craft Harbor is located between Knife River & Duluth.
This facility provides both a public boat access location, and a small craft harbor, with four docks: two in the ramp area, and two staging/emergency mooring docks, and a three acre small craft harbor basin [emergency anchorage], behind breakwaters.

Old 10-04-2021, 05:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The McQuade Small Craft Harbor is located between Knife River & Duluth.
This facility provides both a public boat access location, and a small craft harbor, with four docks: two in the ramp area, and two staging/emergency mooring docks, and a three acre small craft harbor basin [emergency anchorage], behind breakwaters.

Thanks Gord, I forgot about that one .
Old 14-04-2021, 19:37   #6

Thank you we are very excited
Old 14-04-2021, 19:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Hi Jamison, and congrats on the new big boat. I only passed that way once during my decade sailing L. Superior, although I've driven it many times. Superior in general is a stunning cruising ground; I still miss it.

What you call the "north shore" (which is really more like the west shore of Superior) is not the most interesting of areas. It's a straight 20nm shot to Barker's from Knife River, and I don't think there are any good bail-out points until you get to Duluth and can enter the harbour there. Of course, that isn't far from your ultimate destination, so you'll want to pick a good weather window for this first journey.

On a 27' sailboat that is going to be a full day, so I'd plan to leave with first light. Winds tend to be westerlies, so if you're lucky (or plan well) you'll get more NW than SW. NW would be a nice sail. SW will be more of a beat. Either way, it can be a great sail. Only concern (other than weather) will be the shipping lanes. Keep a close eye out, and cross them quickly. Duluth Harbour can be a busy place.

Barker's is a great facility, and from there you're not far from Apostles. Enjoy.
So as of now we will be doing sea trials next friday. I guess depending on how long that takes and finishing up the sail we may want to wait until Saturday morning. The boat runs about 6.5 under power. Weather at the moment says e by ne winds we could be in luck if that holds could run a very long reach or maybe I'm being to optimistic. Do you think my fiance (not much sailing experience) and myself would be ok to make the trip or should I bring a 3rd to help with the trip.
Old 14-04-2021, 19:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks Gord, I forgot about that one .
Good to know, thank you.
Old 14-04-2021, 19:45   #9

What is the avg time from Duluth to bayfield, I would guess it's a 2 day trip at 5-6kn?
Old 14-04-2021, 20:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
So as of now we will be doing sea trials next friday. I guess depending on how long that takes and finishing up the sail we may want to wait until Saturday morning. The boat runs about 6.5 under power. Weather at the moment says e by ne winds we could be in luck if that holds could run a very long reach or maybe I'm being to optimistic. Do you think my fiance (not much sailing experience) and myself would be ok to make the trip or should I bring a 3rd to help with the trip.
Assuming the boat is ready to go, you should have an easy day of it given the current forecasts. Wind direction is currently predicted as eastish (ENE) though mid Friday to mid Saturday, then it looks like the westerlies are starting to build back in. But it is quite light. This means no seas to worry about, but also you probably won't get close to hull speed on sail alone. You may need to motor-sail to keep up your pace.

East winds tend to bring in weather, although none is predicted right now. Just keep a weather eye out.

I probably don't have to tell you this, but travel on Lake Superior at this time of year will be very cold. The water temp is not much above freezing and your air temperature is not a lot warmer. This will likely be your biggest challenge. You will need good, warm clothes. Must be good windbreakers. You will freeze your @sses off very quickly without good gear. Stay out of the weather as much as possible. Spell each other off often if you are manual helming. Watch for hypothermia. Having a heat source on board would be a real plus.

Again, you probably know this, but very few recreational boats travel Lake Superior this early in the season. I've done it rarely. Most boats don't go in till mid-May. Usually there's still a lot of ice around, but checking the forecast shows none, so you're lucky.

I hesitate to offer an opinion whether you should invite a third. The conditions look benign, but having an experienced extra person would likely be an asset.

McQuade Harbor (https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/water_ac...s/mcquade.html) is about 7 nm away from Knife, so say about 1.5 hrs. You'll want to use that as the check point to make sure all is going well. If it is, then carry on. If not, don't hesitate to pull in. As I say, there will be few (if any) other boats out there to offer assistance should you need it.

From McQuade you can follow the shoreline or take the rhumb line straight to one of the inlets and then Barker's. Be careful as you approach the shipping lanes. There is traffic moving, although not a lot.

Hope you have an awesome trip, and that it is the first of many. L. Superior is an amazing cruising ground. You could spend a lifetime exploring its vast waterways.
Old 14-04-2021, 20:53   #11

Quote:
What is the avg time from Duluth to bayfield, I would guess it's a 2 day trip at 5-6kn?

Looks like a ~65nm trip. Depends on how hard you want to push, as well as conditions. Two harder days, or three easy ones.
Old 15-04-2021, 03:52   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
... You will need good, warm clothes ...
Including Feet, Head, & Hands!

Old 15-04-2021, 11:34   #13

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2

Quote:
I've done it a few times, going from Spirit Lake marina (just up the St Louis river from Duluth harbor) to Pike's Bay south of Bayfield. Overnight in Cornucopia at Siskiwit Bay marina. Doesn't really require pushing it, but they are full days. You may need to pay attention to the shoal between Sand Island and the mainland if you go that side.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 22:13   #14

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

Congrats on the boat. I see you are in Star Prarie. My parents live off of K by Big Lake. I live in Lindstrom and have a boat in Bayfield. The sailing g season can't get here soon enough.
_LifeInTheWild_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 22:44   #15

A little update, we put off the sea trials scheduled for the 22nd. Looking at the forecast glad we did, not opposed to cold weather but waking up to an 1" of snow on the deck I can do without. Shooting for next weekend weather permitting. I have asked a good friend of mine that has been sailing longer then I have been living to help me with first sail to Duluth. I am very grateful for his help, and vast knowledge. We have spared before his MC Scow vs my J Scow. So this will make for a fun trip and another sailing memory together. My fiancée and I have been talking over our trip and making lists, plans, and generally getting excited for this new chapter to experience together.

Tags
cruising